8 Movies Ripe For A Retelling

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
To Kill a Mockingbird was set in the 1930s (possibly late 20s), the novel was written in '63 iirc.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Movies Ripe For A Retelling

Today we give you eight movies that could use a remake. With the successful mini-series remake of Fargo we might just see some of these come to fruition. It's even feasible that these classics could be brought into the 21st century, so they're more relevant to viewers.

Read Full Article

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
Take the movie idea, add a few changes. Now use that as a starting point for a new script/movie and see where it goes. But please give it a new title. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by another story. You don't always have to try cash in on the name and 'remake'.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
If your intent was to satirize the current Hollywood remake craze, well done. These are 8 of the most monumentally stupid ideas I've ever heard. I really have to believe this was a joke column, especially considering your idea for Citizen Kane is pretty obviously a lark. If, however, you were being sincere, Jesus man.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I think i'd have a fit if they remade Citizen Kane.

Anyway, considering Hollywood's current track record on remakes, it's best to stay clear.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
8 ways to make me sick. I think all of Hollywood should lay off remakes for awhile since it's seen to be the only things they've been doing. It should be every now and again thing, not every year. Especially these days where most of the films are fucking bland and lifeless as ever.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I want to see a Backto the Future where Marty or Doc accidentally create Skynet. Either one of Doc's inventions or Marty being Marty.

For bonus points, bring in Robocop and the Days of Future Past future.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I know this is satirical, or least I hope it is, but...

I'd actually LIKE to see a remake of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' (AKA: Blade Runner).
The recent-ish comic was FANTASTICALLY done, and I'd love to see it brought to the big screen as two movies.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I realize this is being satirical. But the only one of those that would not in some ways work would be To Kill a Mockingbird. Which is the definitive work about the Jim Crow south and race relations in the first half of the 20th century. You could try and make something that draws inspiration from it. (case in point A Time to Kill) but to attempt to modernize it would just be horrid. I could see room for a straight up remake, but there is no living actor that could stand up to Gregory Peck's Atticus. Some things are best left to themselves.

And why much about with Chinatown turning it into some sort of green energy thing? Have you seen the water issues in California these days?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Toilet said:
All that was listed is 8 movies that should never be remade.
Agreed
McGuinty1 said:
If your intent was to satirize the current Hollywood remake craze, well done. These are 8 of the most monumentally stupid ideas I've ever heard. I really have to believe this was a joke column, especially considering your idea for Citizen Kane is pretty obviously a lark. If, however, you were being sincere, Jesus man.
Quite right
Nurb said:
This... is a joke right? I can't tell anymore.
right there with you

Seriously, this is a shocking feature, not one of those films need a re-make. Remakes are essentially the laziest form of film making and should not be celebrated nor encouraged.
Hollywood should write something original... and so should you Dr Strangelove.
For shame Escapist, for shame.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I wouldn't see ANY of those- ESPECIALLY a Back to the Future remake.

MAYBE The Graduate... maybe.

Actually, no. None of them.

What they should be remaking is stories that weren't classics. Ones with rough edges that prevented them from achieving greatness. Off the top of my head, I can think of two really old British war films that could be phenomenal if done again today:

The Colditz Story: Based on the first-hand bestseller about life in the most badass POW castle in Germany, if done today, this would leave The Great Escape in the dust as the new best POW movie ever made, through the audacity of the true-to-life escapes alone.

And even more so:

Sink the Bismarck! Was a taught action thriller about the German Battleship Bismarck on the loose and wreaking havok in the Atlantic, with the British desperately trying to find and stop her. The only real problem with this film is the model work is really, really outdated. Give it a CGI makeover like that episode of Dogfights! but keep the focus on the human drama, add the German perspective, and you've got a blockbuster masterpiece that takes a dump all over Battleship and Transformers combined.

Think about it: