Disney and Marvel's Big Hero 6 Trailer Intros Villain, Boy and Inflatable Robot

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Disney and Marvel's Big Hero 6 Trailer Intros Villain, Boy and Inflatable Robot

Disney's first animated Marvel movie introduces two of its six heroes

Disney is known for its animated features, Marvel is known for its superheroes, and eventually they were going to put those things together. Big Hero 6, based on a mostly-obscure Marvel team, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6] is the first stab at doing just that.

The film, a loose reimagining of characters from the comic, is about a team of children and teens in the futuristic American/Japanese hybrid city of San Fransokyo who use science and technology (mainly powered suits of armor) to become superheroes and thwart a criminal conspiracy. This first full-length trailer intros the (yet unnamed) villain and fleshes out the first two team members: Boy-inventor Hiro Hamada (Ryan Potter of Nickelodeon's Supah Ninjas) and his inflatable robot Baymax, who looks all set to become a popular holiday toy.

The other heroes include (largely reworked) versions of Honey Lemon. [http://marvel.wikia.com/Leiko_Tanaka_(Earth-616)] The original comic was premised on a team of Japanese-descended new and lesser-known Marvel characters (briefly including Silver Samurai and Sunfire, who are unavailable because of ties to Fox's X-Men movies) aiming to capitalize of the then-new popularity of manga/anime heroes with U.S. comics fans. The team in the film will be multiethnic; with Damon Wayans, T.J. Miller, Genesis Rodriguez and Jamie Chung all providing voices.

Big Hero 6 has a U.S. release date of November 7, 2014.

Source: Moviefone [http://news.moviefone.com/2014/07/15/big-hero-6-directors-new-trailer/]

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
The one thing that would make this movie perfect in my mind is an acknowledgement of Heroman.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
lies, the trailer clearly calls him "Mr Kabuki" XD

all seriousness.....yeah this looks pretty damn amusing XD just when I saw the first teaser my interest was peaked, so will be interesting to see how the final product turns out =)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Um...am I missing something, or is the link to the actual trailer not in the article? There are links to the background info, but I don't see one that takes me to the trailer. Is that just me being silly?

I had no idea this was going to be a Marvel movie. Okay, so I just watched the trailer and it looks hilarious. I thought the teaser was cute, but this looks great. Can't wait.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
MovieBob said:
The film is about a team of children and teens in the futuristic American/Japanese hybrid city of San Fransokyo
i hope disney/marvel can feel the disgusted face im making right now through the internet

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pickapok said:
The one thing that would make this movie perfect in my mind is an acknowledgement of Heroman.
Heroman isn't Marvel per say. I mean yes Stane Lee created him but he's not part of the Marvel universe.

In saying so however I find it strange that the Marvel logo did not appear at the beginning of the trailer after the Disney logo.

As for the trailer, I'm not impressed at what I seen so far but it's still too early to make a final verdit on the film itself.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Pickapok said:
Heroman isn't Marvel per say. I mean yes Stane Lee created him but he's not part of the Marvel universe.

In saying so however I find it strange that the Marvel logo did not appear at the beginning of the trailer after the Disney logo.

As for the trailer, I'm not impressed at what I seen so far but it's still too early to make a final verdit on the film itself.
A boy has the right to dream...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I havn't read/heard of the comic... looks... generic but it might work, plenty of kids films looks generic but turn out good.

Ian Suttle

Apr 7, 2014
I saw the Japanese trailer for this film when I went to see Maleficent earlier this week. The Japanese trailer for the film is a very different beast from the American one. Potential spoilers follow. They're spoilers that Disney's Japanese marketing team apparently felt okay spoiling for the entire Japanese market, but also bear in mind that the Japanese advertisers for Godzilla didn't mind spoiling Cranston's death in that film, and I get the feeling that in that case the Japanese trailer was much more honest about the content of the film (even if it was playing up the role of the one Japanese actor): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WRsHyOTjY. (Godzilla doesn't come out here for another week.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvR3nI8eCs

I had absolutely no idea the trailer was for Big Hero 6, because the Japanese title is apparently "BAYMAX", which is the name of the robot, rather than the team. Take from that what you will, but I get the feeling this entire film will be a "boy-and-his-robot" tale and the other four members of the team will be perfunctory side-characters.

Supposedly the young boy Hiro's dear older brother Tadashi dies. Early in the film? Before the film? The first shots of the trailer are apparently the brother's funeral, but it could be a flashback. Anyway, Hiro's older brother's last gift to him was apparently the robot Baymax.

00:04~00:06: (on-screen caption) "A young boy lost his dear older brother."
00:07~00:13: (Narrator) "His name: Hiro. When he was all alone, his late brother Tadashi's last gift to him arrived."
00:19~00:19: (Baymax) "Good afternoon."
00:20~00:21: (Hiro) "Who are you?"
00:21~00:24: (Baymax) "My name is Baymax. I will keep you safe, both physically and mentally."
00:24~00:26: (Hiro) "Oh! Baymax, you say."
00:26~00:28: (Baymax) "I was built by Tadashi."
00:28~00:31: (Baymax) "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rank your emotional state right now?"
00:31~00:32: (Hiro) "Could you just leave me alone?"
00:33~00:35: (on-screen caption) "The latest film from Disney, the company behind 'Frozen' and 'Wreck-it-Ralph'." (Sorry if I had the wrong hyphenation/capitalization on the latter title. The Japanese titles for both of these films are also dramatically different from the English ones, with WIR being dubbed "SUGAR RUSH", apparently to capitalize on the AKB48 song used in the film. AKB48 are much more popular in Japan right now than M. Bison/Vega, Sonic, Pacman/Puckman, or probably even Bowser/Koopa. Frozen, under a title that translates to "Anna and the Snow-Queen", became the highest-grossing film in Japan of all time when it was released here about five months late. That's actually how Frozen barely outstripped Iron Man 3 as the highest-grossing film of 2013 at some point in April 2014!)
00:34~00:37: (Baymax) "I will definitely keep you safe. That's what Tadashi wanted."
00:38~00:40: (Tadashi?) "With Baymax you can save everyone."
00:42~00:48: (Narrator) "But, there was something Hiro still didn't know: the real mission that Tadashi had entrusted Baymax with."
01:01~01:04: (Baymax) "I don't think this is really necessary for a Care Robot" (I'm not sure if "kea robotto" is an everyday phrase in certain Japanese circles, but I capitalized just to be on the safe side)
01:05~01:09: (Hiro) "Try it ... great, Baymax!"
01:17~01:19: (Narrator, on-screen title of the film) "BAYMAX"
01:21~01:22: (Baymax) "There, there."
01:23~01:25: (on-screen caption) "Can kindness save the world?"
01:25~01:28: (on-screen caption) "Opens December 20 (Saturday)."

The above translations are a bit (okay, extremely) stiff, and I have no doubt that I got a few of the details wrong because I obviously haven't seen the movie and heard these lines in context.

But yeah, the Japanese trailer and title are selling a very different movie, focused exclusively on Baymax as the comedic robot superhero.

There will also be an official tie-in manga drawn by Haruo Ueno and printed in Shuukan Shounen Magajin. The (apparent prequel?) "Episode 0" will be published on August 6, with a weekly (judging by the title of the magazine, which translates to "Weekly Boys' Magazine") manga starting on August 20. (Source: http://ugc.disney.co.jp/blog/movie/article/23538?category=baymax)
That page also claims that "Only in Japan will the story be unveiled [early]" (日本だけでストーリーが解禁されることになりました).

Take from that what you will, but the idea of a weekly tie-in manga being published in Japan some three months before the film's American release implies to me that they're being a lot more open in advance about the content of the film in Japan than elsewhere. This would back up my theory that the Japanese trailer actually shows what the film is about, while the international trailer is selling the wrong movie.

(The mid-December, one-month-late Japan release is actually EARLY for a Disney animated film, since both the aforementioned "Sugar Rush" and "Anna and the Snow Queen" were released almost half a year late here. I think the reason is dubbing. They don't want to give an entire Japanese cast and translation team the entire film months in advance -- "Anna and the Snow Queen" had some major plot-twists that they were trying to keep under wraps -- but almost no one in Japan watches these films subtitled, so they need to go the extra effort to produce GOOD dubs.)

Just my two cents.