HBO Reveals Game of Thrones Season Five Directors

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
HBO Reveals Game of Thrones Season Five Directors

David Nutter who directed the infamous Red Wedding episode is coming back for more helming duties in Game of Thrones Season 5.

With Game of Thrones' fifth season set to air in April 2015, HBO revealed in the 10-episodes Season 5 will house. Possibly the most notable name in the list is David Nutter who directed Season 3's The Rains of Castamere episode (more famously known as "The Red Wedding"). Nutter will be directing Season 5's ninth episode and the ever-important, season finale.

Check out the entire list of directors and the episodes they'll be directing in Game of Thrones Season 5.

Episodes 501 and 502: Michael Slovis (AMC's Breaking Bad, NBC's Law & Order: SVU)
Episodes 503 and 504: Mark Mylod (Showtime's Shameless and HBO's Entourage)
Episodes 505 and 506: Jeremy Podeswa (HBO's Boardwalk Empire and Showtime's The Tudors)
Episodes 507 and 508: Miguel Sapochnik (Fox's House and Fringe)
Episodes 509 and 510: David Nutter

Notable absentees from the list are several Season 4 directors: Alex Graves who directed four episodes, Neil Marshal who snagged an Emmy nomination for the ninth episode (The Watchers on the Wall), and showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss who directed an episode each.

In other Game of Thrones-related news, book author George R.R. Martin has gone on record to squashed any chances of a Game of Thrones movie happening anytime soon. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136101-Game-of-Thrones-Author-Wont-Change-How-He-Writes-for-Impatient-Fans]

Source: Coming Soon [http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/game-of-thrones-season-5-directors/]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would wager Martin has no idea how to finish the series and will crib the last season's points and write the book around those.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
I hate that they use so many directors, it was very noticeable in the last season. Not just change in style but a few episodes had some really poorly directed and acted scenes.

MindFragged

Apr 2, 2009
Zac Jovanovic said:
I hate that they use so many directors, it was very noticeable in the last season. Not just change in style but a few episodes had some really poorly directed and acted scenes.
It's kinda par for the course with big dramas such as these, though I take your point. At least by having different directors no one of them is likely to suffer burn out, which could be more of a problem.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
antigodoflife said:
I thought it was contractually obliged that GRRM had to direct an episode.
Yeah I thought so to but I assume he might be buckling down with the books and concentrating on them for some time possibly.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
Baldry said:
antigodoflife said:
Yeah I thought so to but I assume he might be buckling down with the books and concentrating on them for some time possibly.
George only ever wrote the episodes, I'm sure he'll still write an episode this season but he never directed any.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
lemby117 said:
Baldry said:
antigodoflife said:
George only ever wrote the episodes, I'm sure he'll still write an episode this season but he never directed any.
Oh shit yeah, duh-doy. Yeah he'll probably write an ep' but can't think which one it could be.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Aww, I'm sad that Michelle MacLaren isn't directing any. Her episodes are always tense as dicks, as well as wonderfully shot. Her last episode of Breaking Bad was probably the best episode of anything I've ever seen.