Susan Heyward Cast as Female Lead Deena Pilgrim in Powers

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Susan Heyward Cast as Female Lead Deena Pilgrim in Powers

Max Fowler and Adam Goodley have also been cast in the television adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis' comic book series.

Following a recurring role on the Fox drama The Following, Susan Heyward has been cast as homicide detective Deena Pilgrim in the television adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis' comic book series Powers. Pilgrim investigates cases involving superheroes, alongside her partner, detective Christian Walker. Also cast in the project are Max Fowler, who will play Krispin Stockly, the son of Walker's murdered, previous partner. Adam Godley, known for roles in Breaking Bad and Suits, has also been added to the cast. Godley will play Captain Cross, head of homicide department. The superhero police procedural was launch for free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133086-Sonys-PSN-Getting-Original-Content-Bendis-Powers-is-Coming-Soon] on the PSN in December, and PS Plus members will have access to the full series.

Pilgrim is described as "equal parts beauty and sarcasm, a wunderkind detective with edgy style." In the comics, Pilgrim specifically requests a transfer from the SWAT Team to work on super-powered homicides with Walker. She quickly begins to deduce that Walker's links to people with powers are more than superficial. Casting has not yet been announced for the role of detective Walker.

Powers will release exclusively on the PSN in the US, so fans in other countries will likely have to wait for DVD release. On the Comics and Cosplay podcast last month, we talked about our love for the comic book series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast-comics-and-cosplay/9449-006-In-Which-We-Severely-Nerd-Out-Over-Powers] and our hopes for the television show. Are you excited for Powers? Who would you cast as detective Christian Walker?

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/powers-susan-heyward-cast-as-deena-pilgrim-max-fowler-adam-godley-sony-playstation/]

Spygon

May 16, 2009
With Heroes Reborn on the way as well looks like we are going to have a number of rival super powered individuals series going head to head.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Pilgrim investigates cases involving superheroes
I'm in!

Powers will release exclusively on the PSN in the US
Nevermind!

An interesting concept, but it's gonna have to be exceptional to do well I think. It's up against Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, Flash, Gotham, and the Marvel Netflix series (Plus the myriad other police procedurals) and it not only doesn't have the benefit of access to well-known heroes, but it's also only available on a specific platform.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Another hole punched in the wall of my resistance to buying a PS4... but I still stand strong! Here's hoping a DVD release follows quickly...

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
yet again.. they do realize that the character their casting is white, not black.. why has Hollywood been changing white characters to black so much recently?

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
crazygameguy4ever said:
yet again.. they do realize that the character their casting is white, not black.. why has Hollywood been changing white characters to black so much recently?
Maybe because it really doesn't matter? Deena Pilgrim being white in the comics has absolutely nothing to do with her character. You might as well object that that photo of Susan Heyward doesn't show her wearing a coat but Deena wears a coat. If Susan Heyward can do sarcasm and attitude correctly then really what does it matter. My only reservation was that photo of Ms Heyward has her looking too sweet. I can't see her saying some of the stuff Deena comes out with.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Shodan1980 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Maybe because it really doesn't matter? Deena Pilgrim being white in the comics has absolutely nothing to do with her character. You might as well object that that photo of Susan Heyward doesn't show her wearing a coat but Deena wears a coat. If Susan Heyward can do sarcasm and attitude correctly then really what does it matter. My only reservation was that photo of Ms Heyward has her looking too sweet. I can't see her saying some of the stuff Deena comes out with.
Agreed. Unlike a certain "let's make two of the most famous siblings in comics not the same ethnicity as a publicity stunt" thing, this is a case where the character's skin color doesn't matter at all.

Not.

At.

All.