7 Spectacular Space Photos

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
7 Spectacular Space Photos

From stunning stars, to gorgeous galaxies, to knockout nebulae, here are seven spectacular space photos to inspire and astound.

Read Full Article

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Amazing pictures. Looking outward reveals a universe so much more amazing than anything we can discover or imagine looking inwards. I don't think the Crab Nebula cares about tunnels in Gaza or who controls some farmland on the Ukraine/Russian border.

On one hand we deserve to wipe ourselves out, but on the other, it would be nice to see a little more of the universe before we do it. What does "the book" say about space travel? Wait, don't answer yet, first we better have a war about which book is the right one.

Staring at the sky just makes me lament being trapped on a planet full of morons. We need to stop obsessing over each other and "saving" everything and build the mother ship and go check it out. So many planets to strip mine, so little time.....

"Hope that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there is bugger all down here on earth."
Monty Python
http://youtu.be/nQPlFLtWDwM

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
What is the exposure time of those on ground pictures or does the galaxy really shine that bright without light pollution?

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Saulkar said:
What is the exposure time of those on ground pictures or does the galaxy really shine that bright without light pollution?
I'm not 100% sure there -- I do know that it is HDR photography, which allows us to capture a greater dynamic range. I'll try asking one of the photographers -- but it's certainly not that visible to the naked eye, I presume.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Saulkar said:
Well, there are plenty of rural areas one can see the night sky very well with next to no light pollution. My parents live in a area far outside of the city and a Full Moon actually casts shadows. It was actually amazing when I realized how bright a Full Moon can really be.

That video from Texas looked like it was taken in the middle of nowhere. And there probably aren't too many light sources around a mountain, especially if it's particularly tall.

OT: I always love seeing pictures of space. I've heard that the star Betelgeuse is primed to go Super Nova any time, now. Supposedly, when the star that is now the Crab Nebula went Super Nova, it lit up the night sky for nearly two years. I would love to see that. Sadly, "any time now" could still be 1,000 years away or so.