Joss Whedon Brutally Rejected the Original Avengers Script

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Joss Whedon Brutally Rejected the Original Avengers Script

It appears Whedon's cutting assessment of the original script helped him land the job directing the film.

While Marvel's The Avengers was both a critical and financial success, it started out in terrible shape. Apparently set to shoot with an absolute dog of a script written by X-Men: The Last Stand scribe Zak Penn, one of director Joss Whedon's first orders of business was to ditch that script and rewrite the whole thing himself. At least, that is, according to Amy Pascale's upcoming book, Joss Whedon: The Biography.

"I don't think you have anything...." Whedon reportedly told Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige. "You need to pretend this draft never happened." Whedon, who wasn't even signed on to direct yet, went home, wrote a five-page draft outlining what his plans were for the movie, and even came up with the tagline: "The Avengers: Some Assembly Required," an obvious reference to the "Avengers Assemble" slogan from the comic books.

Whatever Whedon showed Feige clearly did the trick: Marvel quickly signed him to write the script and direct the film. The only stipulation the studio had was that Whedon had to include The Avengers, Thor's nemesis Loki, a battle among superheros in the middle, a full-fledged brawl against the villains to cap of the movie, and that the film meet its targeted May 2012 release date.

Like Feige, the actors liked the script too. "[The script] was funny and still tongue-in-cheek and really got the tone, the Tony Stark tone of the Marvel universe, and still furthered and explored each one of those characters and those relationships," said Clark Gregg, who portrays Agent Phil Coulson in the Marvel-verse. "I found out later from other people involved that had the same reaction-like, oh, wow. Oh, wow. Everybody gets to play. Everybody gets to play, and it's going to be better than anything we reasonably hoped for."

As for Penn, who still received a "story by" credit in the finished film, isn't too sore over having had his work thrown out. "We could have collaborated more, but that was not his choice," Penn told GQ. "He wanted to do it his way, and I respect that. I mean, it's not like on the 'Hulk,' where I got replaced by the lead actor...That was an unusual one. This was more normal." Penn refers here to Ed Norton, whose attempts to assert a high degree of control over The Incredibly Hulk reportedly contributed to Marvel's decision to replace him with Mark Ruffalo.

Meanwhile, just this weekend, Whedon practically confirmed that JARVIS and The Vision are connected in Avengers: Age of Ultron [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136266-Joss-Whedon-Practically-Confirms-JARVIS-Vision-Connection-In-Avengers-2]. Could Whedon strike gold again in the sequel or will it be harder for him this time since the expectation is much higher compared to the first Avengers film?

Source: Business Insider [http://www.businessinsider.in/Joss-Whedon-Was-Brutally-Honest-When-He-Saw-The-Original-Avengers-Script/articleshow/38612600.cms]

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I think Avengers 2 will be just as good, if not better than the first one.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
See DC? That's what you do when someone turns in a rubbish script. You don't just roll with it under the belief of "Eh, whatever."

That's how we ended up with Man of Steel.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
"X-Men the Last Stand, Hulk (2008) and Elektra" Why do they keep this guy?

Not saying that Hulk was bad, but there's barely anything there that I remember over the actor's performance. And Last Stand/Elektra, nothing need to be said.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
I am relatively clam about the spelling error of calm, but it does exist at the time of now.

I kinda want to see the original script now just to see how badly Zak Penn messed it up, though I'm glad that Marvel listened to Joss and only had a few minor stipulations about what "had" to be in the script, the movie we ended up with was the one that comic and film fans could enjoy and definitely the movie Marvel deserved for taking such a risk to even do it in the first place

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Soulrender95 said:
I am relatively clam about the spelling error of calm, but it does exist at the time of now.

I kinda want to see the original script now just to see how badly Zak Penn messed it up, though I'm glad that Marvel listened to Joss and only had a few minor stipulations about what "had" to be in the script, the movie we ended up with was the one that comic and film fans could enjoy and definitely the movie Marvel deserved for taking such a risk to even do it in the first place
Bwahahaha! Thanks! Fixed now. :D I'm clam about it, too. ;)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
So you're telling me that the guy in charge of the most anticipated superhero movie in human history didn't want a script by the writer of one of the most disappointing superhero movies ever?

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Thank you, Whedon. I would rather Penn not have tainted yet another movie. Zak is just not a good writer.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So what was that about the leading actor replacing Penn on Hulk? I am intrigued.
Also did Penn only do The Incredible Hulk and not Hulk? In my mind, that makes perfect sense.

...The last stand?...Chortle! Whatever made them think he could handle Avengers?

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
So what was that about the leading actor replacing Penn on Hulk? I am intrigued.
Also did Penn only do The Incredible Hulk and not Hulk? In my mind, that makes perfect sense.

...The last stand?...Chortle! Whatever made them think he could handle Avengers?
He was referring to Ed Norton who "wrote" the Hulk film he starred in. Apparently, this was a big issue and one of the reasons why he was replaced.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Alex Co said:
He was referring to Ed Norton who "wrote" the Hulk film he starred in. Apparently, this was a big issue and one of the reasons why he was replaced.
Ah, cheers. I didn't realise Ed Norton did much writing for his work. That might explain the inexplicable respect i have for him. Penn should probably find a different creative outlet if his sole attempts are getting him in these awkward situations. Some IMDBing shall be done, later!

tlgAlaska

Dec 6, 2010
Who is this Zak Penn and why does he still get jobs if getting replaced seems to be a common occurence in his career?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Please could we not have unrelated spoiler-ish information on the next film at the end of the article? 'Meanwhile, just this weekend, Whedon dropped some hints about Avengers: Age of Ultron' would have worked just as well. I'm looking to go into the next film with as few details about the plot as possible...

(Also, while I'm nitpicking, I think there's some past tense trouble in the sentence 'Joss Whedon didn't step in and completely rewrote the script.' I feel it should be 'rewrite'.)

ANYWAY: I'd love to see that first script, just to see what it was that made Joss so completely reject it. But yeah, of the two, I have a lot more faith in Joss Whedon and his ability to consistently produce geeky-fun movies that are still high quality. The Avengers are in good hands with him. Zak isn't terrible, but he isn't exactly stellar either.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
tlgAlaska said:
Who is this Zak Penn and why does he still get jobs if getting replaced seems to be a common occurence in his career?
His signature is actually a blank space, so other people keep signing over him.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Dear god. Imagine if the Avengers was written by Zak Penn.

*shudder*

If the Avengers was a bad film I would imagine that it would have probably killed the MCU then and there. Super glad that Joss Whedon practically saved the film in the end, otherwise it would have been dreadful.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Alex Co said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Norton is a great actor, but stories like this do tend to reinforce the notion I have that he's really tough to work with some times.

Of course in this case it was for the best. Of the Penn films listed The Incredible Hulk is the only one that's actually watch-able.

superguin200

Mar 13, 2012
Soulrender95 said:
Seconded. I'd really like to see the original script, or at least get a brief synopsis.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Grabehn said:
"X-Men the Last Stand, Hulk (2008) and Elektra" Why do they keep this guy?

Not saying that Hulk was bad, but there's barely anything there that I remember over the actor's performance. And Last Stand/Elektra, nothing need to be said.
I hate to have to say it, but I'm not sure how this guy still gets work. Any script he's been involved in that I'm familiar with that didn't basically have Bryan Singer and David Hayter reigning him in has been absolutely awful.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Soulrender95 said:

Yeah, it sounds like the original Avengers was essentially going to be Iron Man 2.5: The Tony Stark Show. Keeping the same major elements but having a multiple-hero movie actually feature multiple heroes is what makes it a strong movie, not because it's a showdown in New York with lots of Bay-splosions.