Nvidia Shield Tablet is First Mobile Device with Full Twitch Integration

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nvidia Shield Tablet is First Mobile Device with Full Twitch Integration

Nvidia Shield tries to be the leader in mobile gaming devices by featuring gameplay broadcasting through Twitch.

Twitch and Nvidia announced today that the Nvidia Shield tablet will be the first mobile device to have the ability to broadcast through Twitch. The tablet will feature full Twitch integration, so users can use the Twitch viewing application and broadcast feature.

The Shield tablet can stream any content on it, including Android games and PC games streamed from PC. The tablet has a 5-megapixel and front-facing camera, microphone, front-facing speakers, and a chat overlay functionality for a better broadcasting experience. Also available is a wireless controller with a headset, but it is sold separately at $59. Twitch will be available pre-installed on the tablet as the latest Android version.

Nvidia's Shadowplay, a tool for saving and sharing gameplay, will also come pre-installed on the tablet.

[gallery=2883]

Nvidia noted five Shield-optimized games will be available to play on the tablet, including Trine 2: Complete Story, War Thunder, The Talos Principle, Portal, and Half-Life 2.

"It's no secret our goal is to be everywhere that gamers are, which includes bringing Twitch broadcasting and viewing to every console," Twitch COO Kevin Lin said. "With this integration into the Nvidia Shield tablet, we are not only one step closer to achieving our goal, we are strengthening our relationship with the ever-growing global mobile community."

Twitch continues to grow its traffic. The company noted people watched 850 million minutes through the Twitch app on Android in June.

The tablet retails at $299 and will be available on July 29.

Source: Nvidia [http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/07/22/twitch/]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
As neat as this device is, unless nvidia can get support for it, and it comes with the controller bundled for the UK price, it's overpriced as all hell outside the US; £80 markup for no particularly good reason.

Fascinates me.

Does not £300 fascinate me when essentially the same guts can be had elsewhere for less.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
You can Twitch your PC gameplay of Titanfall via a tablet via Nvidia GameStream via a gaming compu-...

waaaaaait a minute <_<"

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The White Hunter said:
As neat as this device is, unless nvidia can get support for it, and it comes with the controller bundled for the UK price, it's overpriced as all hell outside the US; £80 markup for no particularly good reason.

Fascinates me.

Does not £300 fascinate me when essentially the same guts can be had elsewhere for less.
It does seem steep but you have to remember its a high end small tablet first and a gaming device second, the initial investment gets you a tablet with incredible performance which is good value by itself. The UK price of £239 will actually get you a tablet that trades blows with other tablets of that size in terms of price and screen resolution but has by far the most powerful mobile SoC GPU on the market, its a damn good small tablet in fact and hits the same price point as offerings like the Google Nexus 7 and is cheaper than the latest iPad mini.

The controller could use a price drop though, it would be more palatable if it was comparable in price to other wireless controllers.

Still with the controller included you get a fully functional 8" Android tablet, a standalone gaming tablet, a standalone console you can plug into your TV with performance somewhere between the 7th gen and this gen of consoles and you have a PC streaming device allowing you to play PC games anywhere in the house with ease with a semi decent home network.

If they can drop the controller to a sensible price it would be a great little package.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I personally don't understand why people are so interested in game streaming. And by that, I don't mean streaming your screen to twitch or watching someone else's stream, but I mean streaming your screen to a tablet or other device. Because guess what, if you want PC games in other places than your PC desk, there's always wireless HDMI transmission which is cheaper. (Or even, the dreaded HDMI cable! Shocking, I know!) It seems like a good spec tablet for the price, but I'm personally not buying all the 'streaming' capabilities.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
J Tyran said:
The White Hunter said:

Fascinates me.

It does seem steep but you have to remember its a high end small tablet first and a gaming device second, the initial investment gets you a tablet with incredible performance which is good value by itself. The UK price of £239 will actually get you a tablet that trades blows with other tablets of that size in terms of price and screen resolution but has by far the most powerful mobile SoC GPU on the market, its a damn good small tablet in fact and hits the same price point as offerings like the Google Nexus 7 and is cheaper than the latest iPad mini.

The controller could use a price drop though, it would be more palatable if it was comparable in price to other wireless controllers.

Still with the controller included you get a fully functional 8" Android tablet, a standalone gaming tablet, a standalone console you can plug into your TV with performance somewhere between the 7th gen and this gen of consoles and you have a PC streaming device allowing you to play PC games anywhere in the house with ease with a semi decent home network.

If they can drop the controller to a sensible price it would be a great little package.
Other high end tablets with the same internals still cost less than £300 (some things are obviously compromised), and the overkill for android content is crazy anyway. And the UK price of 239 is just for the lesser version, I was more focused on the £299 alternative. Nevermind of course the 16GB version here costs more than the 32 one does in the US because fuck Europe right. A straight conversation + tax would have been more palatable, but the added gouge on top is a touch shitty of Nvidia.

It's a neat device and I get it, I really do, but £299 should include the controller if nothing else. For the US price I'd be pre-ordering, but it's mark up is not so nice.

And with wireless solutions and a loooooooooooooong display port lead I can use my PC as a console remotely anyway. But right now I have no need, I live in a single room.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The White Hunter said:
J Tyran said:
The White Hunter said:

Fascinates me.

Other high end tablets with the same internals still cost less than £300 (some things are obviously compromised), and the overkill for android content is crazy anyway. And the UK price of 239 is just for the lesser version, I was more focused on the £299 alternative. Nevermind of course the 16GB version here costs more than the 32 one does in the US because fuck Europe right. A straight conversation + tax would have been more palatable, but the added gouge on top is a touch shitty of Nvidia.

It's a neat device and I get it, I really do, but £299 should include the controller if nothing else. For the US price I'd be pre-ordering, but it's mark up is not so nice.

And with wireless solutions and a loooooooooooooong display port lead I can use my PC as a console remotely anyway. But right now I have no need, I live in a single room.
Well of course the 32GB version with mobile network access costs more but guess what? Other tablets with 32GB and LTE/3G cost more too! So the £300 version of Sheild Tablet still compares well to its rivals in the tablet market in price, 32GB iPad mini with mobile network is £100 more at £399.99 for example.

Like I said I agree the controller is a retarded price for a wireless controller but the tablet itself is still good value.