Lady Thor Fan Art Is Worthy To Wield Mjölnir

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Lady Thor Fan Art Is Worthy To Wield Mjölnir

Months in advance of the debut of Marvel's new female Thor, fans are turning in some impressive tributes to the Goddess of Thunder.

Read Full Article

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
*rubs temples* Wow. This doesn't apply to all of them, but damn costumes went skimpy fast. I saw that and my mind immediately went to a pretty funny place, which I had to share :

Little Girls Are Better At Designing Superheroes Than You

http://bettersupes.tumblr.com/post/48447517084

The name sounds harsher than the artists deserve as criticism, but I love the premise - instead of having costumes imitate cartoon art, they had artists draw based on the costumes little girls came up with. In this case, Thor.

Honestly, I kind of think it kicks ass.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Bets that it's Lady... Surt? That takes over as Thor? Anyone? Anyone?
Also: Why is number 3 wielding a squeaky hammer?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
CelestDaer said:
Bets that it's Lady... Surt? That takes over as Thor? Anyone? Anyone?
Also: Why is number 3 wielding a squeaky hammer?
I wondered about that hammer as well, but hammer aside it's my favourite costume of the bunch...

Yep, just went through the lot again to be sure. 3's the best by miles. I'd start buying comics if she were Thor.

Manga Thor is best Thor.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Number 3 was a good one but judging, with zero foundation to do so, by number 12 "female Thor" will be crossing over with the Maxx.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Is it me or does number 10 seem to be Elsa from Frozen? I mean I understand that they are under the same management these days. But that might be pushing the crossover possibilities just a hair? (granted if the marketing department ever gets a hold of it Comic books will suddenly go the way of the SciFi aisle at Barnes and Noble. All pink dragons and sparkly vampires.)

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
My favorites are number 4 by tsbranch, number 7 by Daniel Murray and number 12 by Noah Whyler. Though 4 does make me think of a more distinguished Raven, the design is very well done. Number 7 amazes me, it's so close to looking like an Alex Ross painting. If the costume was a well done as the face, would have just assumed it was Alex Ross' work.

Number 12 just for style reasons alone. Body proportions are all obviously 'wrong' in the natural speaking sense, but it kept to the theme that's been created. I think it won over all stylistically speaking, for me at least. Something, maybe not completely new, but still fresh and interesting enough to stand out from the rest purely through style.

Personally speaking though, out of the 3 would really like to see a Thor comic done in number 4's style the most. But that's just from my own design taste.

Side note, glad that some of these other ones refrained from sticking Mjölnir between her butt cheeks or cleavage, since that's all they seemed to be interested in drawing.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Most of these are just sexualised as hell x.x Can't we have a GOOD hero design that isn't showing 90% of skin or isn't some sort of "look at how hot i am in this tight black suit" thing?

edit: 13 and 15 are the biggest disgusting offenders. Seriously? That much fucking skin? Are you kidding? That's absolutely revolting, why would you even do something like that? that's not thor, that's an idea for a hentai!

Aug 28, 2010
Why isn't there a single pic in which female Thor is allowed to have muscles? Most of them seem to have thick, round thighs but really thin arms. I don't mean she should be depicted as some kind of 'roid abusing monster, but any amount of muscles at all would be appreciated when depicting a warrior-god wielding a weaponised hammer.

xServer

Jul 23, 2014
#3 is atrocious in form and content. #15 is just as bad (is that a hammer or a hairdryer?)while several others are just ugly or silly looking.

For my money, #'s 4, 7, 8 and 11 are good with #14 as my favorite. So much strength and menace captured in that drawing.

xServer

Jul 23, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Reminds me of Idris Elba bowing down James Bond because he didn't want to be "the black Bond".
Elba would have made an amazing Bond. Wish he'd taken it up, despite the label that would have inevitably been thrown his way. Also wish we as a society could move beyond such petty things as labels but clearly that's asking too much.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
xServer said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Reminds me of Idris Elba bowing down James Bond because he didn't want to be "the black Bond".
Elba would have made an amazing Bond. Wish he'd taken it up, despite the label that would have inevitably been thrown his way. Also wish we as a society could move beyond such petty things as labels but clearly that's asking too much.
We should be so lucky!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
#2 and #7 are my favorites. #2 because it's a good representation of the current "new thor" design, and #7 because it is very Alex Ross inspired, that smug superiority with an outfit that's functional as well as heroic.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Elijah Newton said:
*rubs temples* Wow. This doesn't apply to all of them, but damn costumes went skimpy fast. I saw that and my mind immediately went to a pretty funny place, which I had to share :

Little Girls Are Better At Designing Superheroes Than You

http://bettersupes.tumblr.com/post/48447517084

The name sounds harsher than the artists deserve as criticism, but I love the premise - instead of having costumes imitate cartoon art, they had artists draw based on the costumes little girls came up with. In this case, Thor.

Honestly, I kind of think it kicks ass.
Yeah, not sure what I expected though this is "fan art" but really? first two were cool but the rest were just kind of... yeah after I saw the third one I was like "really guys?" and then it just got worse, why does a woman have to be skantily clad or posing in a certain way or have ridiculously impossible assets to be considered attractive? when was it decided this concept was the be all end all rule of defining what is attractive to men? Comparing catwoman to catwoman here, specifically the catwoman from batman arkham games who basically had her suit unzipped all the time for "reasons" and the 1990's cartoon version, I find the cartoon version way more attractive...

but apparently I'm some "crazy freak of nature" so what do I know?

EDIT: I went through all of them some of the later ones are really cool looking but again a very mixed bag...

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
I liked the very last one a lot.
And for goodness sake, I hope her final look does not sport the Strike-me-here-for-instakill-boob-armor.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
I've studied physics and know the basic principles of armor (to deflect force); hence why any form of "boob plate" = facepalm, so many facepalms I wish I had more hands. The boobplate will kill you so horribly, it's not even funny :(