League of Legends "A New Dawn" Cinematic Features New And Old

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends "A New Dawn" Cinematic Features New And Old

The latest League of Legends cinematic features an epic 5v5 battle between new and old champions.

League of Legends developer Riot Games is starting to build quite a name for itself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124352-New-League-of-Legends-Cinematic-Twists-Fate] as a maker of gorgeous cinematics. The latest of which, "A New Dawn" is no exception, showing an epic 5v5 battle between some of the game's most classic, and some of its newer, champions. Enjoy!

If you enjoyed that, you might want to check out its "Behind The Scenes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40IfQbYlSw]," video. In this video, Riot explains that they love making cinematic like A New Dawn because it helps them expand on the story and the lore of the League of Legends world and the characters that inhabit it.

It said that not only are cinematic in much higher definition than the games, but they also focused on the details of the characters that players don't see in-game, such facial expressions and movements. The video also explains how the sounds were created to help tell the story of the battle and how the music played a major role in personifying the characters. You'll notice that each character has more or less their own "theme tune".

None of the characters speak a word throughout the whole video, but you can really see a whole lot of personality in the way that they act. It's also very interesting to see how certain "archetypes" in the game, such as assassins, tanks, and supports, would play out in a "real" battle.

It's cool to see Riot tackle interesting little side-projects such as this, and hopefully we can see more in the future!

Source: Riot Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzHrjOMfHPY]

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'm a Dota2 player myself, but this CG is pretty cool. Shame that LoL itself still looks like the ass-end of 2005, and will continue to do so until the big map and engine revamp.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
That was.. interesting.

Riot seems to be on its way to CCPs level of trailer making. I find myself looking forward to the next one.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I really like this. I'm not big into LoL but this trailer definitely raised my interest enough to where I'm now downloading the game to try it out. To me this is what DOTA 2 is missing. A cool cinematic trailer and a character like Ahri, she's so cute that I just need to play this game to run around like a fox

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
What, Rito why the Noxus hate? :( You don't kill off Draaaaaaaven in such a lame way.

Slashe

Jun 10, 2008
Ajani, Elspeth and a possibly a few new planeswalkers.

But in all seriousness, it was still pretty fun

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
two bigs things jumpped out at me when watching this:
1. Ahri had one tail. Was it just suppose to be all nine so close together that it looked like one and they just failed to convey that, or did they somehow fuck up something that is in her freaking name?

2. It was shockingly gory and violent. That's not to say I was offended or anything, just that LoL, even in trailers, normally has very clean PG violence, while this was quite brutal. It fits really well with my opinion that when you think about it LoL has some very grim implications, with everyone dying horribly and reincarnating seconds later.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
major_chaos said:
1. Ahri had one tail. Was it just suppose to be all nine so close together that it looked like one and they just failed to convey that, or did they somehow fuck up something that is in her freaking name?
Her nine tails do pop out at the very end when she finishes off Darius. I know that in the game when she's moving her tails all clump together into one, but throughout this little skit it certainly does look like she only has one tail.

Also: I want a cinematic with my main-man Karthus, damnit!

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
major_chaos said:

2. It was shockingly gory and violent. That's not to say I was offended or anything, just that LoL, even in trailers, normally has very clean PG violence, while this was quite brutal. It fits really well with my opinion that when you think about it LoL has some very grim implications, with everyone dying horribly and reincarnating seconds later.
Interestingly before they nuked the game's major source of lore, one of the things mentioned was that when a champion is killed in a match, the mental link they have with their summoner is broken, both get a nasty shock, and the champion is teleported back to wherever he or she was when she was originally summoned. Ezreal apparently often complains about being dragged away from exploring or archaeology efforts by a League summoning since the gauntlet he found and uses has a summoning spell attached to it, so he has no choice in the matter.

The psychological effects on both summoners and champions must get pretty bad over time. With the exception of inhuman creatures like Hecarim, Fiddlesticks, and Nocturne, I'd imagine most of them at one point or another would not want to go back.

I noticed the Ahri discrepancy myself. However towards the end she does in fact show more tails, if not all of them. If she's a creature of deception, it would make a certain amount of sense that she could hide the rest of her tails. I'd imagine that's probably how she gets a lot of men. Snag someone cosplaying as herself and she 'forgot' to have the extras. Be willing to bet it'd work on any of us League nerds if we weren't expecting it.

Anyway....really enjoyed it, though some of the character designs, particularly Ahri, were a bit dated. Other moments made up for it, though. I also enjoyed that once again we had something without a single line of dialogue. I'm surprised they were able to resist having DRAVEN of all people mouth off, though. Then again that look when he steps on Leona's sword just says volumes.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
If you enjoyed that, you might want to check out its "Behind The Scenes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40IfQbYlSw]," video. In this video, Riot explains that they love making cinematic like A New Dawn because it helps them expand on the story and the lore of the League of Legends world and the characters that inhabit it.
What story?
The only story I got out of this was "and then they beat the living shit out of each other".
I don't even know why they're fighting.

You want story and actual characters in animation shorts, look at team fortress 2.
Those shorts actually bother to tell stories and are more than someone smashing their action figures against each other.

Would it really kill them to explain stuff?
To actually explain and expand on at least the setting in some manner?
To have some dialogue maybe?
Cause all I get out of these is some animators masturbating. Really vapid.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Slashe said:
Ajani, Elspeth and a possibly a few new planeswalkers.

But in all seriousness, it was still pretty fun
So I weren't the only one thinking about Ajani! XD

OT: I don't like LoL nor it's kind of games, but animations like this is just awesome to behold. I hope they keep doing these for a while.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Anyone else notice Leona is a shit support in this? Being one shotted by a Darius dunk is embarrassing for any decent Leona build if you are managing to keep rough parity level wise with even a fed Darius. She also forgot she had a grab and stun and her other stun till the very end of the match. Not to mention her and ahri fell for a VERY obvious bait. So in proud League tradition I pass my judgement.

"Hey CG Leona you fucking noob, delete the game because you can't play for shit!"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
None of the characters speak a word throughout the whole video,
Not true! Katarina says "Woo!" after narrowly avoiding Rengar's attacks. One of the cuter moments in the video, really.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
major_chaos said:
When Ahri uses Spirit Rush, her tails merge into one. My guess is that she can merge them into a single tail for mobility, but that they'll unfurl anytime she attacks; like at the end of the video.

Eevee

May 28, 2012
Ha ha! ... If only the actual game was half as decent looking or half as fun looking as this trailer.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I liked it, especially the way Rengo deleted Draven.exe in 2 seconds is so accurate to gameplay right now... Also the fuck was Ahri doing all game? I assume she was out of mana all the time waiting for her Chalice to regen so she kites around all day.

I do like the level of bro Leona had in that CG, the dunk block was manly as hell and Solar Flare needs to look that cool in the game visual update pls.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That was so much cooler than the actual game itself. Makes me kinda sad, actually XD