Gigantic Insect Found in China Will Give You Nightmares

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Gigantic Insect Found in China Will Give You Nightmares

The Insect Museum of West China found the largest dobsonfly and its wingspan measures over 8 inches wide!

If you're the kind of person who squirms whenever you see larger than normal insects, then this bit of news might give you nightmares. In China, the Insect Museum of West China [http://asia-insect.com/] went on an expedition and found the largest dobsonfly seen so far. This particular insect (pictured) has a wingspan of 21 centimeters (over 8 inches). The previous largest dobsonfly was found in Brazil and had a wingspan of 19.1 centimeters (7.48 inches). For those who are curious, while 8 inches for its wingspan is considered wide, the average male and female specimens of this particular insect has a wingspan of 5 inches.

While I don't think I easily get scared when it comes to insects, I admit, seeing this fly around anywhere near my vicinity might cause me to run away in panic. I mean, just look at its mouth and body; it's like a mad scientist tried to see what the outcome would be when you cross-mated a spider, wasp and a scorpion. And don't think this insect is exclusive to China, either. Apparently, it can be found in many different countries, which just makes seeing one in the flesh a little bit more real.

Source and Image: Kotaku [http://www.xinhua.jp/socioeconomy/photonews/389641/]

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
GAH! It's like God took all his nightmares and condensed it into an insect!

What forces of evolution would motivate that creation of such a creature?

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
China is just behind Australia in places I want to go where the wildlife is scary as hell!

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
Just stick in a "has been" in there to make that title make easy sense.

OT, sooooooo I'm not going to China any time soon.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Good lord, look at those mandibles! I don't know if they're aggressive or not, but it sure looks like it can deliver one hell of a bite.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Urgh it look like a stag beetle head stuck onto a dragonfly (well with the wings)!

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Sometimes I wonder if anyone really proof-reads these titles. I had to reread it about six times since I knew "Made of Found" couldn't possibly be how you're supposed to say it.
Try "Giant Nightmare Insect Found in China." Much simpler, rolls right off the tongue.

I'd forgotten what Dobson flies were and had to go look them up. Apparently they spend almost all of their life-cycle in streams and rivers, in the larval stage. While I'm not at all thrilled with the image of one of these things flying at my face, it's reassuring to know they only sprout wings for a short while - then drop dead.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
What a stupid looking bug.

It's so goofy. Almost kind of cute in a way.

I can seriously imagine my 8 year old self coming up with such a creature.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I see these all the time in the late Summer, big ones, small ones, flies you'd swear were birds, or at least bats, but nope, just a ginormous scary insect. It doesn't surprise me at all to see one this large. Fortunately these things are not aggressive in the least. The large pincers are just for show. They are however attracted to bright lights so you may see them around your front porch if you live near ponds or a lake.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
That's nothing compared to the giant spider monsters that live in Australia. Seriously, I am never going to any country with giant bugs. No thanks!

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
"...seeing one in the flesh..."

Now there's an image.

Otherwise, it's...nice to see they have a new record?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Dragonbums said:
What a stupid looking bug.

It's so goofy. Almost kind of cute in a way.
A kitten is cute, a puppy is cute, hell there is a picture on the internet somewhere of a cute spider because of it's giant eyes...

This thing however, is not cute in the slightest and should be locked away...in a titanium box...in space.