8 of the Best Cards In Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 of the Best Cards In Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas

The Hearthstone expansion Curse of Naxxramas has just come out. To help you along as you get acquainted with the addition we give you eight of the best new cards. So prepare to do even better at Hearthstone, if that's possible.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Webspinner highlights what is probably my biggest issue with Hearthstone: The randomness. I know in a card game there's already some built in randomness due to the shuffling and card drawing, but it still bugs me whenever I'm playing Hearthstone and my best play is effectively to flip a coin and hope it comes up heads.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Falterfire said:
Webspinner highlights what is probably my biggest issue with Hearthstone: The randomness. I know in a card game there's already some built in randomness due to the shuffling and card drawing, but it still bugs me whenever I'm playing Hearthstone and my best play is effectively to flip a coin and hope it comes up heads.
The thing is, it's a value card. It's 1/1 for 1 that draws you a card that you will get value out of in a beast deck. All it does is strengthen a playstyle + be super-favored in arena because having a sure-fire minion draw is really good. It's honestly not that random. There's only so much you can do to counteract RNG, and that something is what most good decks do. Besides, RNG is what makes the world go round.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I think you may have put two of the worst cards from Nax onto this list. Webspinner isn't that powerful at all. The random element and the fact that it pulls from EVERY single beast in the game makes it kind of a dud. I mean sure you could get something you need RIGHT then, but you could also get something like another Webspinner.

Mad Scientist also has a similar issue. For one it's special is only activated on death. And two, you can't decide which secret it is. If you only have 1 secret in your deck, like some forms of Freeze Mage run, then you're fine. But if you have more then you might end up playing the wrong secret at the wrong time. If someone kills my Scientist and then suddenly my Noble Sacrifice gets played, that might be fine if he has a bunch of low health big hitting minions, but if he just has a 2/3, then Noble Sacrifice is probably the worst thing to have played.

Some cards that will most likely show up in some of the top tier decks:

Nerubian Egg (LOTS of Druids will run this in Watcher Decks)
Echoing Ooze (Druids and maybe some Rogues will run this)
Dark Cultist
Baron Rivendare

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Maexxna is so very close to being a good card. 2/8 with the emperor cobra ability? Yes please. Except the 6 mana kills it. It'd be horribly broken at 5 mana with those stats, but at 6 mana it comes out too late to be of any real use. Any other 6 mana card would be worth more than Maexxna in the long run. Cairne, Sylvannas, heck even just a plain old Boulderfist Ogre will do you more good.

It really sucks because the cards really good for wipin out all manners of nasties and staying alive while doing it, but about the only thing it has going for it vs most other 6 mana drops is that there is absolutely no way your opponent will spend hard removal on it which does leave open the possibility of a Priest Inner Fire deck makin use of her.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Maexxna is so very close to being a good card. 2/8 with the emperor cobra ability? Yes please. Except the 6 mana kills it. It'd be horribly broken at 5 mana with those stats, but at 6 mana it comes out too late to be of any real use. Any other 6 mana card would be worth more than Maexxna in the long run. Cairne, Sylvannas, heck even just a plain old Boulderfist Ogre will do you more good.

It really sucks because the cards really good for wipin out all manners of nasties and staying alive while doing it, but about the only thing it has going for it vs most other 6 mana drops is that there is absolutely no way your opponent will spend hard removal on it which does leave open the possibility of a Priest Inner Fire deck makin use of her.
The real shit part is it's countered by SW:p, Kodo, Shadow Madness, Cabal Shadowpriest, and any normal removal. I mean, priests as of before this expansion were considered pretty bottom-tier, so there's less to worry about, but it's waaaaay too heavy with that mana cost.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
shintakie10 said:

I think you underestimate how powerful this card can be. You mentioned Priest Inner Fire which is one way to make it useful. But you also have to remember that it having low attack means you can do some fun things with it like use Warsong Commander to make it a 2/8 with Charge that can kill literally anything. It is protected from some of the most annoying cards that take down bigger minions. It can't be hit by Big Game Hunter for instance. Aldor Peacekeeper and Humility don't really effect it.

In all honesty I'd say this is one of the better Legendaries in the game right now.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I can't think of any reason I'd want poison seeds. If I'm going to board clear I want to be able to regain control. Poison seeds just leaves too much to the opponent to capitalise on. The best card in the new set is definitely Loatheb with the 4/6 faerie dragon coming in second.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Baneat said:
I can't think of any reason I'd want poison seeds. If I'm going to board clear I want to be able to regain control. Poison seeds just leaves too much to the opponent to capitalise on. The best card in the new set is definitely Loatheb with the 4/6 faerie dragon coming in second.
Poison Seeds works well if you have a bunch of death rattle friendly cards on your side or your opponent has bigger guys but you have more minions all together. If you're going up against something like the Legendary Warrior deck then Poison Seeds is actually one of the best things for you to have. If you have Harvest Golems and Haunted Creepers out on the board the Poison Seeds will give you a huge board advantage. Even if you can't maintain board control when you use it, it may still be a better option if your opponent has several late game minions out. If I've got a bunch of weak crap on the board and your opponent has something like an Orge and Ysera, then yeah I would LOVE to have Poison Seeds in that situation. I would go so far as to say that it is one of the best removals in the game since you can get rid of several threats all at once. Is it perfect. No, but it is incredibly powerful if you use it right.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
KT is pretty good.
Spinner, I don't think so. It's only meh at best.
Mad scientist is in a weird situation where it's not terrible, but it's not all that great.
No argument for the Spectral Knight. It's a good 5 drop.
Maexxna isn't all that great at all, honestly.
Shade of Naxxramas is great, I like everything about it.
Nerub'ar Weblord is not very good at all.
Poison Seeds is far, far, FAR too situational to get good use of it.

I can't tell, is this a countdown from least to best or best to least?

My own personal list would be:

Haunted Creeper
Kel'Thuzad
Loatheb
Reincarnate
Baron Rivendare
Spectral Knight
Duplicate
Shade of Naxxramas