Oddworld: New n' Tasty Review - Sweet Meat

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Whooo typos! The recommendation should probably read "is a damn fine slice of meaty entertainment"

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
I need to get a PS4 now, don't I?

Dammit.
Why would you need? It's even coming out to Wii U and Vita... I say it again it's coming out to WII U and VITA! The 2 mostly ignored platform by third parties...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Funny. I was at Half-Price Books the other day and they had Abe's Exodus, then today I learn that the series is being revived after all these years. I guess they figure that by now the bile that was Munch's Odyssey has passed through our systems that we're ready to have another go at it?

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Question: My friend gave me the Steam versions of Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus for Christmas. I know New n' Tasty is $30, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to playing a game like this without a quicksave (or without decent checkpoints in general) or trying to work with the controls. Is it worth it to splurge when it comes to a platform I have (PC or PS3) or just keep with my gifted copy?

MarsAtlas said:
Robert Kalmar said:
MarsAtlas said:

Dammit.
Why would you need? It's even coming out to Wii U and Vita... I say it again it's coming out to WII U and VITA! The 2 mostly ignored platform by third parties...
Fuck yeah, PS4 purchase aborted!
Apparently the PS4 version is cross-buy with PS3 and Vita? The latter formats aren't ready though but the purchase will still count.

And if that's not an option, they're going to be porting to PC eventually too.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I want to play this so very badly as just like Jim I too was an enormous Oddworld fan back in the day (still have all my original disc copies) and I need more Oddworld real bad.

But I'll wait patiently for the PC version.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
Raggedstar said:
Question: My friend gave me the Steam versions of Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus for Christmas. I know New n' Tasty is $30, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to playing a game like this without a quicksave (or without decent checkpoints in general) or trying to work with the controls. Is it worth it to splurge when it comes to a platform I have (PC or PS3) or just keep with my gifted copy?

MarsAtlas said:
Robert Kalmar said:
MarsAtlas said:

Dammit.
Fuck yeah, PS4 purchase aborted!
Apparently the PS4 version is cross-buy with PS3 and Vita? The latter formats aren't ready though but the purchase will still count.

And if that's not an option, they're going to be porting to PC eventually too.
Eventually, this game comes out for almost every platform Unity supports, including Linux and Mac OSX. Strangely, it looks like this game will skip x360. Strange choice, since it was an Xbox exclusive franchise for a generation... I will wait and buy it for the Wii U, since the dev is not a corporate d**k who ignores a platform because it's not popular and both this franchise and the Wii U needs support.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Oh hey, I didn't know Jim was a fellow Oddworlder! Muchly happiness induced! :D

I still crack out my copies of Oddysee and Exoddus every now and then, when I need a nostalgia blast, so it's good to know JAW did as good job remaking possibly one of the best PS1 titles ever made, as they did porting the PC versions of the original games to modern systems.

Now all I have to do is wait for it to hit Steam. Eventually.

Thank God for Jim.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
ZOMG Abe is back!? And it's a good game!?!? My pants need changing. I'll be playing that by lunchtime. Welcome back, you little weirdo!

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Robert Kalmar said:
MarsAtlas said:

Dammit.
I have both of those! WOO!!

OT I loved Oddworld, even though I was never very good at it, in my childhood I became intimately familiar with the opening cutscene and first couple of levels

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Just beaten this game myself. Very faithful remake to an already fantastic game. Controls took a bit of getting used to, but yeah, they do feel somewhat smoother than they did in the original. (Although I would have liked for the Triangle button to remain as the jump button. Hopping across a field of mines with the left thumbstick and the X button is pretty hard)

Plus, if this game sells 500,000 copies, we get an Exoddus remake AND a new Oddworld game.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Robert Kalmar said:
Eventually, this game comes out for almost every platform Unity supports, including Linux and Mac OSX. Strangely, it looks like this game will skip x360. Strange choice, since it was an Xbox exclusive franchise for a generation... I will wait and buy it for the Wii U, since the dev is not a corporate d**k who ignores a platform because it's not popular and both this franchise and the Wii U needs support.
It's not a "choice". While the whole scenario is way too convoluted to even try going into here, Just Add Water and Oddworld Inhabitants have been fighting Microsoft for a number of years for the right to release on their platform. Issues with file-size, whether or not they are "indie" and all kinds of licensing rubbish. It's getting released on the xbone 'cause it fulfills some arbitrary requirements to fit into their indie releases, but the 360 doesn't have the same programs, so it doesn't qualify.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sorry, but I still prefer the original. More nuanced, more grit, more weight to the animation, and most important of all, tight controls. I really had to do a double take when I read the words "tightened the controls", because they feel so flipping loose in this new version. Instead of instantly rolling or running, Abe's animation now first has to rev up to get to the actual rolling or running. Even if it only takes half a second, that half a second is detrimental in a world where everything insta-kills you.

The sound goes on the fritz when there's more than three active assets on screen, and the voice acting during cutscenes is way too low. And the screen scroll breaks a couple of puzzles to a point where the only way to solve them is through sheer luck.

Monsaic Lines looks absolutely incredible in motion, but beyond that this game is just a more frustrating, headache inducing, and less atmospheric and mystic verion of the original.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It's about time i actually read The Heart of Darkness as it is so frequently brought up as a comparison, that i feel like a lost child amongst the overgrown foliage of ignorance.

Hmm yet another reason to hate microsoft and another reason to get a Wii u and/or a pisspoor. What was wrong with Munch's Odyssee? Fair enough i was a younger, more easily impressed gamer. But it didn't seem a bad game. Bring more Oddworld please!

ShinySilvery

Jul 26, 2014
When I bought my first Playstation (One) back in '97, friends and family thought I had gone crazy with the bundle I opted for..!

I could have had 3 games, all of which seemed to consist of characters and vehicles made out of cardboard boxes! Destruction Derby, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot etc.
I chose the 'bundle' with just one game! Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Beautifully bitmapped sprites, artfully atmospheric backdrops and soundscapes, cinematic cutscenes, and the oh so delightful dark humour. Underpinned by a superbly scripted story ~ All done in perfectly paced rhyming couplets.
I could never get on with Mario or Sonic, they never appealed to me. Although Abe's Oddysee used flip-screen mechanics, somehow this was a platform puzzler done right!

Though it was impossible for this to be 'bundled' with my PS4. New 'N' Tasty is the first digital purchase I had waited for... Yes, there are new mechanics/controls.
This is another learning curve to master, and so it should be. That all seems fitting. Just as the original needed to be mastered. There are new and tasty tricks and skills hinted at when passing through doors, that can be employed to the player's advantage. A carbon copy would not suit this new-gen rebuild. The atmosphere has been preserved and improved upon. Backdrops have more depth and animations, up to and including the trapdoors and switches. Characters display more anguish of their plight, so you feel more connected to them. Jim is right about the excellent work Just Add Water have done here.
Really looking forward to Oddworld: Soul-Storm Special Brew!!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Will be getting this when I get a PS4! Just not enough games out yet that interest me enough to buy it yet.