Possible Ring of Power Found in Ancient Roman Bath House

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Possible Ring of Power Found in Ancient Roman Bath House

A group of archaeologists have discovered a third century Roman ring in Britain adorned with rare Christian markings.

One of my (and most every nerd's) lifelong dreams has been to find a ring of power. It's not like J.R.R. Tolkien made them look all that appealing or anything, but when finding one is the first step to embarking on an unfathomable adventure, you can perhaps understand why a youth like myself might be interested in digging a hole in my backyard and pulling out a shiny magic band of metal.

Sadly, I never found one ring to rule them all, but if a recent archaeological dig is any indicator, I might have just been looking in the wrong place. For instance, a group of archaeologists recently discovered a rare ring while exploring the ruins of an Roman bath house in north east Britain. While the bath house itself was "exceptionally" well preserved and interesting in its own right, the ring caught the attention of the excavation team thanks to an unexpected combination of markings and features that could point to third century origins for Christianity in the region.

"The intaglio shows two fish hanging from an anchor. This has clear Christian connotations," said Dr. David Petts. "It is found widely elsewhere in the Roman Empire, but this is only the second example from Britain; the other example coming from the colonia at York."

Current common belief is that Christianity became more prominent in early Britain following the 306 AD ascension of <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great>Emperor Constantine who was the first Roman ruler to allow the free practice of the religion within the confines of the empire. If the assumptions about this ring are true, it would predate that era substantially. Now granted, that's not quite the same as stumbling onto the Sauron's ring of power, but as far as discoveries go, it's pretty far from shabby.

Source: <a href=http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/art491723-Archaeologists-find-baths-sociable-Romans-early-evidence-Christianity-Durham>Culture24

JoJoDelight

Jan 13, 2014
Sorry, I fail to see how the title is significantly related to the article in question. It's just a stone ring with markings, I don't know how you can claim "Ring of Power" from that.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I believe it means that it's a ring from someone of power, not that the ring itself is giving mystical powers. It still looks fairly cool for being an ancient ring.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, that's taking quite a stretch with the title there.

OTOH, it's immediately obvious it is, so it's not the same clickbait created every so often.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
A christian ring that predates Constantine is not the craziest thing in the world. Constantine's approval may have increased the religions spread in Rome, but it had been growing in popularity long beforehand.

draigodragon

Nov 21, 2011
when it says ring of power i thought it meant "A ring that could hold very prominent effects on what we know of the Romans"

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
JoJoDelight said:
Sorry, I fail to see how the title is significantly related to the article in question. It's just a stone ring with markings, I don't know how you can claim "Ring of Power" from that.
Did you honestly think that someone had dug up a magical ring?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Just don't wear the thing around Vladimir Putin. And whatever you do. DO NOT let him hold the ring! He is the modern equivalent of Golum - once he has something, ring, country, whatever, he will NOT give it up. This is a cool looking ring though. I predict many a steampunk cosplayer are already making molds similar in design for their various costumes.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Oh wow, I can't wait to read about thi--

*sees it's not a Green Lantern ring*

Oh...never mind.

*walks away sadly*

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's hardly revolutionary - someone in Rome after Christianity spread there might have gone to visit relatives/friends in Britain and lost his ring, which isn't really the "sweep of Christianity through Britain in the third century". Regardless, that's a badass ring. I want one.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Arkynomicon said:
Don't use misleading titles to get more people to click on your article.
Don't assume everyone is gullible enough to think there was an actual ring of power?

It's Marketing101. Make something look interesting to click on.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
God damnit! I really wanted this to be some sort of Captain Planet magic ring shit(or in Roman myth at least). It would have made for a much more interesting find.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
JoJoDelight said:
Did you honestly think that someone had dug up a magical ring?
Magical? Clearly this is from an advanced civilisation who charged Christians with protecting the Earth. Now all we need is the battery and proper oath....

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Arkynomicon said:
Again I ask; did you honestly think that someone had dug up a magical ring?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Many of the Elite Roman families wore rings with the family insignia to demonstrate their power and status. This could easily be a symbol of a family that ran a successful shipping company (many Elite families has their own ships and ports) before any of those symbols meant anything to do with Christianity. Or it could be a visiting Christian relative that went to the baths and just forgot it and went home again.

They don't say what bath house it's from though. Many scholars debate whether the public bath houses were separated between men and women, families and influential and noble civilians. I mean, it could have been from a soldier in the common bath houses that found it one day out on the field and picked it up. Soldiers had notoriously bad pay, after all.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Arkynomicon said:
Have you ever read a newspaper? That is how it works. Besides, the article was pretty interesting anyways.