Destiny Beta Now Free to Download Across All Consoles

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Destiny Beta Now Free to Download Across All Consoles

As of yesterday, the beta for the highly-anticipated shooter is now free to download across all systems - PS4, Xbox One, 360 and PS3 - until the beta closes at end of day tomorrow.

If you wanted a taste of Bungie's upcoming sci-fi shooter Destiny, then now's your chance as the developer has just opened up free access to the beta until tomorrow night. The beta no longer requires a special code to download and is accessible from the online store of your console of choice, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 or PS3.

"Help us deliver the game you deserve. Before we shut this party down, we'll welcome everyone who wants a preview of this brave new world," Bungie wrote on their official blog. Bungie gave the official close time of the beta as "end of the day on July 26 PDT."

According to a <a href=http://www.bungie.net/en/View/Bungie/DestinyBetaFAQ>previous blog post, the beta will give players access to features including character creation, story missions, cooperative and social activities and competitive multiplayer. Players who participate in the beta on July 26 will get access to an exclusive emblem in the retail copy of the game.

Source: <a href=http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11962>Bungie

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Zacharious-khan said:
i feel as though the two of us have different definitions of the word "all"
I was just about to be all "what, you expected them to release it for the Megadrive and the Ouya?" but then I remembered for the first time in quite a long while that the Wii U exists and is probably what you're alluding to?

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
Kolyarut said:
Zacharious-khan said:
I was just about to be all "what, you expected them to release it for the Megadrive and the Ouya?" but then I remembered for the first time in quite a long while that the Wii U exists and is probably what you're alluding to?
He's complaining about the snubbing of the PC übermensch

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
ike42 said:
Kolyarut said:
Zacharious-khan said:
Maybe? But would be weird to include PC when talking about "all consoles".

I mean, I'm waiting/hoping for a PC release myself, since I'm still last-gen console bound, but I'll still be checking it out on PS3 while I can tomorrow - may as well get that free taster in, it's the only chance you get with MMOs (well, until they go F2P - but since this is Bungie, and on console, this is a rare MMO where that actually seems unlikely).

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
I might actually give in and try it on my 360... but I don't generally want to touch incomplete games.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
No PC version = no interest from me.

The PS4 and Xbone use the same architecture as PC and the Xbone uses the same API's as windows so no excuses

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Kolyarut said:
ike42 said:
Kolyarut said:
Zacharious-khan said:

I mean, I'm waiting/hoping for a PC release myself, since I'm still last-gen console bound, but I'll still be checking it out on PS3 while I can tomorrow - may as well get that free taster in, it's the only chance you get with MMOs (well, until they go F2P - but since this is Bungie, and on console, this is a rare MMO where that actually seems unlikely).
It says all systems, not all consoles. It's slated for a PC release, so PC should logically be included in the phrase "all systems."

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
If the fov wasn't like trying to watch through a set of binoculars I would've given it a shot.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the heads up Escapist. Downloading now, really happy to get a chance to play this before September.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Figures, I only find out about this at 1:30 in the morning, it's a 5 gig download, and the beta closes at the end of the day. Great, I can maybe get an hour of play in.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Kolyarut said:
ike42 said:
Kolyarut said:
Zacharious-khan said:

I was talking about WiiU, PC is not a console. And honestly I couldn't care less about Destiny being on PC. I was just surprised that Destiny was getting a WiiU release, thus the contention regarding the word "all".

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Denamic said:
Kolyarut said:
ike42 said:
Kolyarut said:
Zacharious-khan said:

It says all systems, not all consoles. It's slated for a PC release, so PC should logically be included in the phrase "all systems."
The headline does say all consoles! They do swap "consoles" out for "systems" in the article text though.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Played what appears to be all the available content and so far I'm impressed. I do have some issues with it, for example Much like in Borderlands and Rage the open areas where you are expected to jump in a vehicle are boring padding to give the world a total hollow sense of size, and the main hub likewise does the normal annoying MMO "pointlessly huge city instead of a convenient menu just to waste my fucking time" thing. The PvP also feels really badly balanced and the RPG elements actively fight the skill based shooter core (who needs to be a good FPS player when skill are reliable OSKs), but I really don't care about the PvP so I'm not really bothered by that.

Dracondis

Jan 18, 2004
And it isn't free to down load. You have to pay a subscription fee up front to participate in the Beta on the XBox platforms.