Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part I Teaser Debuts

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part I Teaser Debuts

Penultimate Hunger Games installment gets teased

Lionsgate has released the first proper teaser trailer for the third Hunger Games feature, Mockingjay - Part I, featuring the beginnings of open rebellion in Panem.

Picking up where Catching Fire left off, Mockingjay finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) struggling to accept yet another fate she didn't ask for: Being set up as a living icon - "The Mockingjay" - to rally the Districts against The Capitol and President Snow. Conflict will arise as she comes to question the costs of resistance and the less-than-heroic behavior of many who claim to fight in her name. Surviving characters from the previous films return, including the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in what will end up being one of his last onscreen appearances.

Originally published as the third installment of the Hunger Games Trilogy in a single volume, Mockingjay has been divided into two films in a manner similar to The Hobbit and the finale of Harry Potter. Part II is set to be released in November of 2015.

Source: The Hunger Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzcYyzCZdiM]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
And once again, Hollywood splits the final book of a series into two movies. Instead of doing what they did with the previous ones and keep it as one - or make ALL books two movies.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bindal said:
And once again, Hollywood splits the final book of a series into two movies. Instead of doing what they did with the previous ones and keep it as one - or make ALL books two movies.
I think that this video pretty much sums things up with regards to splitting book-movies into 2 parts.

They're really...really gotta stop doing crap like this.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Bindal said:
I was coming into this thread to post 'How long before someone comments on it being split in 2?' - Wasn't expecting the first post! (Does the phrase broken record mean anything to you?).

I've wondered if part of splitting this in to 2 is for budget reasons. IE: A lot of special effects.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
frobalt said:
I've wondered if part of splitting this in to 2 is for budget reasons. IE: A lot of special effects.
I'm pretty sure its for "more money" reasons.

Plus its kind of stupid for them to split it into two movies cause the first half of mockingjay is actually kind of boring. The second half is where all the suspense and action is.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bindal said:
In one part I agree that it's a undesirable to have a book split in several movies. After all, 1 image is worth 1,000 words, isn't it?

On the other side, there were a lot of things missing in Catching Fire (like Katniss' prep team, Haymitch's Hunger Games videos, the mockingjays' origin) that could had made the movie better, and probably they thought the only way they could put them in would be splitting the movie in two, and they decided they'd rather not.

If splitting the movie assured that the best parts of the book won't be left out, I personally would prefer it split.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Ehh... I don't know. I've read Mockingjay and on the whole, the Hunger Games trilogy left me dry. Like there are some good ideas but we're stuck with Katniss' limiting POV (which worked in Book 1 but really becomes annoying in Book 3) that we don't see much of it.

I like what the book wants to promote, in spirit, but by the end, I just ended up shrugging my shoulders. Maybe I still have Harry Potter nostalgia, maybe I was expecting something more, but in the end, I'm not sure if I'll want to revisit this world again (which I understand is the point; it's a dystopia, you're not supposed want to come back). As far as sci-fi dystopias go, it just didn't feel very creative.

Interpret that as yo uwill.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Why do youtubers spend 2 hours a day playing a game, and then take 2 weeks to release it into 15 minute increments? More money!

Really though, this is a good thing. Longer movies = more story. You'll like it when you own it on disc. You'll have double the content to watch instead of half.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
michael87cn said:
Why do youtubers spend 2 hours a day playing a game, and then take 2 weeks to release it into 15 minute increments? More money!
Or because YT has normally a 15-minute restriction on videos and you need to earn the right to go really beyond that with your videos. (And most of the time if you don't have that permission, you won't earn money from YT-videos anyway)