Fist Bumps Transmit Less Germs than High-Fives or Handshakes

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Fist Bumps Transmit Less Germs than High-Fives or Handshakes

Study shows that fist bumps transmits less germs than handshakes or high fives.

The Institute of Biological, Environmental, and Rural Sciences at Aberystwyth University has just revealed some important information for elite high-fivers out there. After conducting some tests the university found that fist bumping transmits less germs when compared to handshakes and high-fiving.

The experiment had one person placing a glove into a container of germs. Then that person exchanged handshakes, fist bumps, and high-fives of different lengths and varieties with sterile-gloved participants. When the bacteria on the sterile gloves were analyzed, researchers found that there was less bacteria transferred on a fist bump when compared to a high five. Handshakes carried the most amount of germs out of the three. As expected, the longer the duration of the hand exchange the more germs that were transferred.

This is important information specifically for those who work in the medical field who are often in contact with bacteria. In fact, in May the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) even called for a ban of handshakes in hospitals [http://jama.jamanetwork.com/data/Journals/JAMA/930408/jvp140062.pdf.gif] to help reduce the spread of germs.

For the more general practicality, author and conductor of the study David Whitworth, PhD states that the, "Adoption of the fist bump as a greeting could substantially reduce the transmission of infectious diseases between individuals." Since it's unlikely western society will adopt a no-contact greeting, "... for the sake of improving public health we encourage further adoption of the fist bump as a simple, free, and more hygienic alternative to the handshake."

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140728123727.htm]

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
This is news? I thought we already knew all this? Con goers have been encouraging the use of fist bump over all others for years.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Obviously, since it's a smaller contact area and between surfaces that don't contact as much as finger tips and palms. They should have done this study back when the term "fist bump" did not exist.

As someone who has watched Demolition Man, I would rather live in the sewer eating rat burgers than live in a society with a stupid non-contact greeting other than words (especially if the motions are waving one's hands inches away from the other person's hands).

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
Obviously, since it's a smaller contact area and between surfaces that don't contact as much as finger tips and palms. They should have done this study back when the term "fist bump" did not exist.

As someone who has watched Demolition Man, I would rather live in the sewer eating rat burgers than live in a society with a stupid non-contact greeting other than words (especially if the motions are waving one's hands inches away from the other person's hands).
Fellow Greetings, what's your boggle?

Note, didn't Howie Mandel also pronounce this long time ago?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I thought that this was common knowledge. I have used this excuse in the past to promote fist-bumping over handshakes.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
And bowing transmits no germs at all. And that's why I bow or take off my hat instead of shaking hands.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Making less skin contact transmits less germs? Holy shit stop the presses!

I wish that institute didn't burn that cash and bought me a nice gaming PC.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
In other surprising germ-related news, doing the fake air-kiss on the sides of people's cheeks spreads less germs than doing the real cheek kiss.

Also, and I'm not sure how accurate this is, you spread less germs to others if you stay home away from other people than you do by going out and having contact with them. Like I said though, not sure if true. I haven't seen any studies on it.

To be serious though, as mentioned by others above, it's all a matter of surface area. Fist-bump (knuckles) has less surface area than palms and fingers. You don't need a study to guess the outcome. I wish I could get paid to do some of these "studies" using basic logic.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Queen Michael said:
And bowing transmits no germs at all. And that's why I bow or take off my hat instead of shaking hands.
Why not tip your hat instead?

M'lady.

-holds it alllll in-

OT:
Really guys?

Really?

Not using that part of your body that's good at holding things to hold other people in the same area transmits less germs than your knuckles touching?

Really

captcha: can I love?
No, captcha. I bet you shake hands, too.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The repercussions of this discovery will undoubtedly change social conventions for centuries to come.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
I don't much care for the fist bump even if it is a little more sanitary. It's like someone calling me "brother." You're not Hulk Hogan! It just rankles me something terrible. Whenever someone extends their fist to me, I get an overwhelming urge to shout "Wonder Twin powers activate!" and smash my hand into theirs as hard as possible. I do it sometimes.

I prefer the handshake and the occasional high-five. Germs be damned!

Redlin5 said:
Doctor approved!

I still enjoy a good handshake though, despite the risks.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Well that kind of goes without saying. :p But bowing transmits precisely ZERO germs!

The bit about the JAMA is really cool though - good thinking!

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
For once, my University is in the news for something other than storms or people being attacked by seagulls! Horay!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sleekit said:
Thank God.

that Ebola outbreak was really beginning to bother me...
Clearly the solution is for the world to abandon handshakes all together and adopt the fist bump.

That'll surely stop the worst outbreak of the Ebola virus in recorded human history....

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Oh goody. The germophobes and the bros can join hands together at last. Metaphorically, of course. They can't literally because one side would be afraid of dying and the other side would think they'd become gay.

Also, it's FEWER germs.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i think we should do the opposite we already have too many antibiotic resistant bacteria so much so that we are going to have to start relying on bio-engineered viruses to do the work for us we should be doing all we can to encourage our own immune systems to become stronger and what better than with a hand shake people dying of a deadly diseese are not likly to be going around shaking peoples hands