Here's the Classes and Specializations in the D&D Player's Handbook

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Here's the Classes and Specializations in the D&D Player's Handbook

Sorcerer
Channels the natural magic of their person into spellcasting prowess. They use a pool of sorcery points to twist their spells through a process called metamagic. Their specializations are called Sorcerous Origins.

A Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer gains breath weapons, wings, scales - the whole nine yards.
A Wild Magic Sorcerer has potent surges of power in exchange for the chance to roll on a table of random effects - not all of which are things you'd like to happen.

Warlock
A spellcaster who has a deal with a powerful supernatural creature for their might, they use a unique spellcasting system based on a limited number of spells known combined with a maximum power level of spells available.

A pact with The Archfey grants powers based on beguiling and tricking opponents.
A pact with The Fiend grants powers based on hellish luck and dark blessings.
A pact with The Great Old One grants powers based on madness, the mind, and the great beyond.

Wizard
The consummate studier of magic, the wizard has a greater variety of magics available to them than anyone else. Their specializations are called Arcane Traditions and all gain boosts to spells categorized into their schools.

Abjuration Wizards are the masters of spells that protect, ward, and banish. They gain innate protection from attacks.
Conjuration Wizards are the masters of spells that create and summon, they also sideline in teleportation.
Divination Wizards focus on seeing the future and the hidden, they can glimpse the future to affect and alter die rolls.
Enchantment Wizards focus on beguiling and dominating their foes, enchanters can even reactively convince foes not to attack them.
Evocation Wizards are already in the basic rules - the master of destructive magics.
Illusion Wizards are creators of tricks and falsehoods, who can produce illusory doubles and twist their illusions already cast.
Necromancy Wizards gain power from the souls of those killed by their magic and command and create the undead.
Transmutation Wizards have spells that modify the world around them, allowing them to change shapes and use alchemy to change the world - even create a philosopher's stone!

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Fun fact, I think Barbarians are the only class that doesn't have the option to cast spells at some level. (Even this is not strictly speaking true since Totem Warrior can cast a couple spells as rituals.)

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I like it, but I want to learn more about the customization beyond just a specialization. Is it in feats or character traits? I really want to read this book haha

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I really wanted to go from Battle ranger archer to Beastmaster with two scimitars (yup, a panther)...
But now I know Necromancer is available too... that's just plain tempting!!! :D

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
funksobeefy said:
I like it, but I want to learn more about the customization beyond just a specialization. Is it in feats or character traits? I really want to read this book haha
There's 3 main ways to customize your character:

1) Race
2) Class
3) Background

In addition to those there are feats as well as the specializations listed above. It's worth noting that there are far less feats in this system and they are far more character defining.

All in all it's done a fairly good job combining flexibility with the traditional level / class system. If you're used to classless or leveless systems, though, you might not feel satisfied with the options presented as you're still essentially only making modifications to generic fantasy tropes. As far as D&D goes, though, I'd say it seems to offer more of a personal touch than previous editions did.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
funksobeefy said:
Basically, everything the good sir who already quoted said is very true. I just wished to add that there are feats, but not as many of them, and you have to choose whether to take a feat or upgrade ability scores. This seems to be more or less balanced by the increase in power that feats have. It is generally not just say increasing your initiative roll, it is that you are never surprised so you won't have disadvantage on ambushes AND +5 to initiative rolls. Random example I know (Alert is the feat I was trying to remember) but many feats also increase an ability score as well, you can trade off a bit with that. All around they are meant to make the feats a little more character defining as well. Anyway, I for one can't wait to roll a Monk (yay no more medium attack bonus from 3!), or a Cthulu warlock because...come on. How does that not sound entertaining.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
TBH, every class here looks fun. Too fun. I can't play all of them after all. Barbarians haven't changed much, but that's a good thing, bards can cast 9th levels spells and have a combat buff focused build, which sounds awesome, Clerics are still Clerics, Druids are still Druids, Fighters... are probably the one class I still can't bring myself to care about (though arcane fighter looks neat), Monks can be the fucking Avatar, Paladins remain the best class by default, Rangers are basically the same, Rogues now have their neatest prestige classes turned into specializations, Sorcerers might be more than a worse Wizard, Warlocks are as flavorful as ever, and Wizards are still old boring beardy dudes. So I guess it isn't just fighters I don't like.

I know that the game will inevitably be a massive unbalanced mess, but it looks like it could be a fun one, and that's what really matters. And what I've seen of the new feat system looks great.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Only 2 variations on the Sorcerer? Not too impressed by that, but i am liking that other classes are getting these sort of specializations.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Looks like a lot of prestige classes and multiclassing are being rolled together into the core classes...not sure how I feel about that, but I am not thrilled that the only two ways to play sorcerer are 'wild mage' and 'dragon disciple'....not sure all this forced specialization thing is up my alley....3.5 had a bit more flexibility is my impression from this.

Jan 12, 2012
spartandude said:
Only 2 variations on the Sorcerer? Not too impressed by that, but i am liking that other classes are getting these sort of specializations.
I'm assuming they're going to expand the Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Bard at the very least in the Martial/Arcane/Divine Power equivalent books, because two choices apiece is definitely not the breadth of what the class can be (especially if they've loosened restrictions enough that Spellsword is a basic variant of Fighter). They came up with a few interesting sorcerer variants in 4E (one that stands out was the star-aligned sorcerer, whose power waxed, waned, and changed with the constellations).

They ran into some problems by breaking Wizards back into 8 subclasses, which is a lot of (in my mind) unnecessary bloat. If I understand the rules correctly, picking one specialization won't close off other schools, which is nice, but I'm looking forward to the spell list and seeing how much the choice matters. They put themselves in the difficult situation of trying to bring back all the old wizard schools and giving fewer options to other classes, combining a few similar schools (my preferred option, but one that would have undoubtedly made someone angry), and putting out some schools now alongside other class specializations and holding the rest for Arcane Power, which DEFINITELY would have caused trouble.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
But my question is, can I play the famous Luchadore Grappler Monk? If so, sold.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Revnak said:
TBH, every class here looks fun. Too fun. I can't play all of them after all. Barbarians haven't changed much, but that's a good thing, bards can cast 9th levels spells and have a combat buff focused build, which sounds awesome, Clerics are still Clerics, Druids are still Druids, Fighters... are probably the one class I still can't bring myself to care about (though arcane fighter looks neat), Monks can be the fucking Avatar, Paladins remain the best class by default, Rangers are basically the same, Rogues now have their neatest prestige classes turned into specializations, Sorcerers might be more than a worse Wizard, Warlocks are as flavorful as ever, and Wizards are still old boring beardy dudes. So I guess it isn't just fighters I don't like.

I know that the game will inevitably be a massive unbalanced mess, but it looks like it could be a fun one, and that's what really matters. And what I've seen of the new feat system looks great.
I agree the classes all look awesome... mostly. However, based on the basic rules we already have, the Cleric is terrible. The obvious downside of going back to Vancian spellcasting is that the Cleric is now back to being expected to cast most, if not all spells as healing spells. The weakening of healing spells, and the fact you don't get all your hit dice expended on healing back guarantees that the Cleric will be shot many the dirty look for casting anything other than heals. We actually haven't been able to play thus far because NONE of our six players is willing to play the Cleric. We tried playing without a Cleric using healing from hit dice and healing potions, and it just slowed the game down too much. If neither the Druid, the Bard, nor the Paladin is a viable healer (which from these descriptions, I'm guessing they're not) we'll either be HEAVILY house-ruling the Cleric or just playing an earlier edition.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
WarpedLord said:
Revnak said:

I agree the classes all look awesome... mostly. However, based on the basic rules we already have, the Cleric is terrible. The obvious downside of going back to Vancian spellcasting is that the Cleric is now back to being expected to cast most, if not all spells as healing spells. The weakening of healing spells, and the fact you don't get all your hit dice expended on healing back guarantees that the Cleric will be shot many the dirty look for casting anything other than heals. We actually haven't been able to play thus far because NONE of our six players is willing to play the Cleric. We tried playing without a Cleric using healing from hit dice and healing potions, and it just slowed the game down too much. If neither the Druid, the Bard, nor the Paladin is a viable healer (which from these descriptions, I'm guessing they're not) we'll either be HEAVILY house-ruling the Cleric or just playing an earlier edition.
When has Cleric's strength lied in healing? Cure has never been the most efficient way to heal. Whether or not it's worse now is irrelevant, Cleric has always been strong because they're a really bulky caster. They still cast as much as a wizard, and they still get armor (war getting heavy armor). They're still basically the same thing as ever. However, yeah, making the default specialization life was a bad move. They really need to get past the idea that clerics are supposed to all heal, especially when they keep not making it work that well or that reliably.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
WarpedLord said:
Revnak said:

Just cast your healing spells at a higher level? I actually REALLY enjoy the heavily revamped vancian spellcasting. No more need to memorize 5x Magic Missile or anything.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Maybe the Life specialization IS the problem... It's definitely a possibility, since the basic Life Cleric is good at precisely NOTHING other than casting healing spells. They get no cool combat tricks, nothing interesting to do in combat at all other than cast the occasional cure spell.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
WarpedLord said:
Maybe the Life specialization IS the problem... It's definitely a possibility, since the basic Life Cleric is good at precisely NOTHING other than casting healing spells. They get no cool combat tricks, nothing interesting to do in combat at all other than cast the occasional cure spell.
Yeah, but I think that's been the problem with the life domain as long as it has been a thing, but the limit on number of spells has just made it a bit more obvious. Less spells means a focus on more passive spells makes you way more passive than you would have been with more.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oroboros said:
Looks like a lot of prestige classes and multiclassing are being rolled together into the core classes...not sure how I feel about that, but I am not thrilled that the only two ways to play sorcerer are 'wild mage' and 'dragon disciple'....not sure all this forced specialization thing is up my alley....3.5 had a bit more flexibility is my impression from this.
3.5 was flexibility incarnate.
Multiclassing was pretty OP, to the point where there were very few worthwhile pure core class builds outside of RP.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Oroboros said:
3.5 was flexibility incarnate.
Multiclassing was pretty OP, to the point where there were very few worthwhile pure core class builds outside of RP.
Yes...I have encountered problems with munchkins exploiting certain builds/classes feats etc in games I DM. But I do think the flexibility 3.5 brought to the table was incredibly valuable. D&D next seems (at least to me) to be encouraging players to follow a set of rather defined character types.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Soooo...
It's Pathfinder's Archetypes and other base class features/Prestige Classes?