The Real Story Behind That Leaked Deadpool Footage - Update 2

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
The Real Story Behind That Leaked Deadpool Footage - Update 2

Blur's proof of concept footage, starring Ryan Reynolds, was leaked by hackers, NOT the studios.

Update 2: Fox did not respond to our request for comment, however their lawyers did respond to us posting the video. We have now taken it off the articles.

Update: Tim Miller, co-founder of Blur and director on Deadpool responded to us via email, stating that he's unable to discuss the issue.

Original Story: One of the biggest bits of news that's hit comic book fans in the immediate post Comic-Con rush had nothing to do with anything actually shown in the infamous Hall H, or anywhere on the show floor for that matter. It was two minutes of the most awesome shaky phone camera videos ever leaked to 'net. The video showed what claimed to be early CGI test footage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136489-Ryan-Reynolds-Deadpool-Test-Footage-Leaked-Update-2] of Fox's long-delayed feature film starring Marvel's Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool, featuring voiceover work by Ryan Reynolds. As fast as the footage was being posted, it was being removed by the powers that be at Fox.

Then, on Tuesday, a new higher definition version of the clip started making the rounds. The video opens with Deadpool rocking to the beats of Gwen Stefani and breaking the fourth wall, before diving from an overpass into a moving SUV via the sunroof. What followed was one of the coolest close combat fights ever, filled with Deadpool's (and Reynolds') signature smart ass personality. It was a sight to behold ... if you could find it.

The footage actually comes from a proof of concept package put together three years ago by Blur Studio, the folks behind many of the best video game cinematics in the industry. Tim Miller, co-founder of Blur, had just been tapped to direct the Deadpool feature and tasked Blur with putting together an eight minute video showcasing the potential of the movie. As an added bonus, Miller brought Reynolds into Blur Studio to voice the character. The package was well-received by Fox execs, but the film has since drifted off the radar, despite all parties involved claiming it had not been axed and was still in development limbo.

So where did this three year old, two-minute snippet of test footage come from all of a sudden? Due to the coincidental post Comic-Con timing of the leak, many believed that Fox had secretly released the footage to help gauge current interest in a Deadpool solo flick. Then, once the hi-res version made its way online, it was being reported that, due to popularity, Fox and/or Blur had decided to officially release the clip. Deadpool creator, Rob Liefeld, talked about the footage on Twitter:

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/statuses/494266163052834816"]

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/statuses/494268788951355392"]

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/statuses/494504311985283072"]

Even employees at Blur took to social media to show off the video links and take pride in the fact that the work they had done was finally seeing the light of day. Then, just as quickly as the clip started to disappear, so too did the posts associated with Blur employees. It would seem that the official release of that Deadpool footage wasn't so "official" after all.

According to sources, the footage had actually been obtained and released not by Fox or Blur, but by hackers who managed to grab the clip and send it into the wild. After seeing the posts from Blur employees making the rounds, Miller sent a notice to all personnel early Wednesday asking them to remove the posts and to "cease and desist" discussing the clip any further at this time despite the proverbial cat already being out of the bag. We've reached out to both Blur and Fox for comment about the footage and the hack, and will update this story with any response.

It shouldn't be too hard for Blur employees to keep quiet. The studio is hard at work on numerous other projects, including working with Microsoft and 343 Studios on new, remastered cinematics for the Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 portions of the upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/11978-Halo-The-Master-Chief-Collection-Bringing-New-Life-to-Halo-CE-and-Halo-2] for Xbox One, due out on November 11th.

As far as Deadpool goes, if you haven't already seen the leaked clip or just want to see it again, check it out for yourself below (for at least as long as it's available), and let us know what you think.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm so excited this clip is being hosted by The Escapist despite this odd & disturbing history!

Wait. How long until Fox sends an order to this website to stop showing it?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
So, Fox let Fantastic Four 1 and 2 and also X-Men 3 and Wolverine happen, but they all but officially axed this.

Fox, why are you still alive?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yeah, that clip did feel like it was too good to be a part of an actual movie... :(

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
"Leaked by hackers" yeah right. This is the same type of "leak" of the trailer of Superman vs Batman trailer just to get DC fans some hope and hype everyone up because they are losing the war against Marvel.

Stuff don't leak unless the big heads at these companies/studios let them happen.

This Deadpool trailer was just a "let's test the waters" on a new Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds to see how fans would react.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RealRT said:
So, Fox let Fantastic Four 1 and 2 and also X-Men 3 and Wolverine happen, but they all but officially axed this.

Fox, why are you still alive?
Rupert Murdoch.

Pretty much explains everything.

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
I hope it isn't too early but I am sending this from the mcdonalds across from the theater.. which is where my tent is set up.. they don't let me use THEIR PRECIOUS wifi so I have to cross a busy street to get on the internet from mcdonalds.. I hope nobody moves my tent while I'm.. GOT TO RUN!!

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
DarkhoIlow said:
This Deadpool trailer was just a "let's test the waters" on a new Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds to see how fans would react.
This has been my reaction to the whole thing. Making it "leaked" means that if it goes poorly, they can say it was a breach and shut it down. It is is well-received, they know that they have a viable market on their hands. The speed at which these kinds of things move make it an amazing tool in gauging customer reception. On the other hand, its Fox, so I'm not entirely sure they are that smart.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Hey. Hey Blur. We're pals right? Got a question for you. This Deadpool thing is neat right? Yah, I thought so too. Where's my The Goon movie? You've been sitting on that trailer a while, and Rat Queens an Chew are getting cartoons and movies. Why can't you deliver on the Goon? I want that to happen. Very VERY much. Deadpool? Not as much.

http://vz3.blur.com/work/detail/the-goon

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
CelestDaer said:
So, who's Tom? At the end, he says "Oh, hi Tom!" I think...?
Since the footage is apparently from the original proof of concept video put together by Tim Miller and Blur three years ago, the best guess for the "Hi Tom!" identity would be Tom Rothman, who was CEO of Fox Film Entertainment at the time.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Rupert Murdoch.

Pretty much explains everything.
Baraka DeadPool
Barack Democratic Party

My conspiracy theory now proves Rupert Murdoch intentionally hidden this insult in a crap movie!

Dang.... No one believes this?

Rupert Murdoch still stinks.... IMO
WldCard said:
CelestDaer said:
So, who's Tom? At the end, he says "Oh, hi Tom!" I think...?
Since the footage is apparently from the original proof of concept video put together by Tim Miller and Blur three years ago, the best guess for the "Hi Tom!" identity would be Tom Rothman, who was CEO of Fox Film Entertainment at the time.
I wanted to think he was saying Hi to Tom Hanks....

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well Fox, ya better start rethinking this because reception has actually been quite positive for it. Seriously, if Kick-Ass can work on a $28 million budget it shouldn't be hard to do an R-rated Deadpool.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I cant say im surprised it was 100% animated.

Primarily because i couldnt help noticing that the 4 dudes in the car looked far too similar.

Anyway given the overwhelmingly positive reception of the clip, i also would not be surprised that Fox is going to give the DP movie the greenlight.

Dewrah

Feb 26, 2011
If the leak was indeed perpetrated by hackers, I would hope that Fox would still monitor the excitement garnered by the clip and that someone (I'm sure they exist) uses that to argue for a big-budget R-rated picture. On that note - did you notice that the video is marked approved for all audiences?

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
No, I'm not implying that this is ACTUALLY what happened, but am I the only one who could imagine the leak coming from Rob Liefeld? He's definitely relishing in the aftermath of it on Twitter.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Why was this getting passed on? They wouldn't even do it as live action just CG the entire thing and release it if that'll be cheaper. If they had gotten this out before Guardians of the Galaxy this would have all the news. But Fox has nothing and Marvel has the enthusiasm of the public.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
As far as the actual clip goes...

Hm, I dunno, he looks great, but how well-written Deadpool is (to me) is determined by how it handles the more serious and dark aspects of the character.

(And I?m not talking about the violence and him killing people.)

Joe Kelly?s run on Deadpool is one of my favourite things in American superhero comics, and that was because of how it balanced humor and actual tragedy, and the issues it tackled, such as what being a hero means, what ?doing the right thing? actually is, etc.

Or Deadpool?s relationships with his supporting cast, him basically ruining Weasel?s and Blind Al?s lives, but there being actual attachment there as well. Not that those relationships weren?t also very twisted.

Which reminds me, I don?t wanna hear anything about a Deadpool movie that doesn?t have Weasel and Blind Al.