No Man's Sky Confirmed for PC, Following Timed Exclusive Period on PS4

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
No Man's Sky Confirmed for PC, Following Timed Exclusive Period on PS4

The open universe game has been confirmed by Edge magazine as hitting the PC platform some time after its 2015 release on the PS4.

Hello Games made a splash at this past E3 with No Man's Sky, which has players hopping across planets in a procedurally-generated universe. Announced for the PS4, no word has been given on whether or not it would see release on other platforms following its 2015 launch. Recently, though, the magazine Edge reports that No Man's Sky will land on the PC after a timed exclusive period on Sony's console, putting to rest earlier speculation that the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135883-PC-Release-Of-No-Mans-Sky-Not-Definite>game would be a PS4 exclusive.

Hello Games chose to lead development with the PS4 due to how the company approaches design, control and performance. According to Edge, Hello Games' Sean Murray said he "actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to feel really 'console-y' ... We've always had PC in mind but in my head [console-y] means solid framerate and immediate controls. I think a PC game can be 'console-y' and it's intended as a compliment, but I get in trouble for saying it."

The PS4 hardware also gave the No Man's Sky team to create more vivid environments due to the console's ability to "maximize its procedural generation algorithms," according to Edge.

We've sent a message to Hello Games inquiring if they can give a more definite release for the PC version and if No Man's Sky will make it to any other platforms. We'll update you when we hear anything.

Source: Gamespot

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Man I really hope this game isn't as bugged as X: Rebirth, and they take their time with testing. The colours on display look great, a good deviation from the realism that Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are promoting.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
awww yeah baby

looks good, depending on reviews i may not wait a significantly drastic discount... if i can afford it

kinda like dark souls 2, bought it at 30% off, cant say i havent enjoyed it, only wish i had more free time to play it

too bad the game probably wont be moddable, due to the way it works, from what ive read, this procedurally-generated universe is like, stored in a server somewhere, so when someone discovers a new place you can see something like "this cave was discovered by DofusMcDofus123"

at best i can see some UI mods or some re-skins

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Understandble for a small dev to focus on one platform at a time, I wonder if the status of it being a timed exclusive is because Sony helped those guys after the flood in return for that. If so thats understandable too, that could have set them back a long time and there is nothing wrong with them wanting to save their project and business

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
J Tyran said:
Understandble for a small dev to focus on one platform at a time, I wonder if the status of it being a timed exclusive is because Sony helped those guys after the flood in return for that. If so thats understandable too, that could have set them back a long time and there is nothing wrong with them wanting to save their project and business

sony also helped double fine get the rights of grim fandago back

im a PC gamer 99%, but i can say sony is definitively the best out of the big three, tough its not like the competition is any difficult

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
That's great news. I'm sure this will tide me over quite nicely until Star Citizen comes out.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
I'm glad they decided this.

The game is already quite close to my heart for a couple of reasons, chief of which is that this incorporates the Space Sim genre (Though I know not technically a Sim)which is my favourite genre by a long margin.

But also... Hello Games' office is right down the street from where I work, and when they're office (Like ours) got flooded last Winter, I felt so sorry for them that they lost everything, and I really hoped that they could rise like a Phoenix from the ashes, and they haven't disappointed yet with No Man's Sky.

And now, I'll actually get to play it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well im pleased to hear that.

Im sure ill be more pleased if the PC version is a good port.

Assuming of course that it doesnt fall way short of expectations.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Glad to hear this. It looks fantastic- possibly the most promising new game of the year, if it can live up to the demo footage.

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
Thank god. I didn't want to have to buy a console I don't really want for a single game, and now it sounds like I don't have to.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
This has the potential to be completely bland, or completely amazing. I'll be keeping my eye on it. This is the kind of evolution of gaming I've been expecting for nearly 20 years now since I played the old X-wing classics.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
J Tyran said:

sony also helped double fine get the rights of grim fandago back.
I am only speculating that Sony helped them as there has been nothing official regarding their relationship with Sony apart from the announcement of the timed exclusive, they seemed to get back on their feet much faster than when insurance companies are involved. They pull all kinds of crap with flood damage as they usually have glut of claims at one time, stunts like refusing to pay for anything other than a cleanup until a structural survey has been done after the property has properly "dried out" some 12 months later.

So I'm just guessing they either had a serious amount of cash in the bank or that they got an investor, announcing a timed exclusive seems to show Sony helped them out.