Man Kills Self While Taking a Selfie With a Gun

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Man Kills Self While Taking a Selfie With a Gun

A young man in Mexico accidentally died after pointing a gun at himself while taking a selfie for Facebook.

In news that might sadden and frustrate you at the same time, a young man (pictured) in Mexico died after he accidentally shot himself while taking a Facebook selfie. Oscar Otero Aguilar, 21, of Mexico City, was mortally wounded when the gun he was pointing at his head accidentally discharged. Police state that Aguilar had borrowed the gun and was waving it around while trying to snap a photo. Aguilar's neighbor, Manfredo Paez Paez told local media: "I heard a gunshot, and then I heard somebody screaming and realized somebody had been hurt. I called the police and when they arrived they found that he was still alive."

The victim died in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. Previous selfies on Facebook by Aguilar showed him in front of fast cars, posing in a band and hugging beautiful women.

Ignoring the fact that private gun ownership is illegal in Mexico, why on earth would anyone want to take a selfie of themselves holding a real gun pointed to their heads is beyond me. Has social media morphed into such a big deal now that people are even doing dangerous things just to get noticed? Hopefully, this is an isolated incident and will prove to be an example that it's never a good idea to point a loaded gun at anything -- especially to yourself.

Source and Image: Turnto23 [http://www.turnto23.com/news/fatal-selfie-man-shoots-himself-in-head-while-posing-with-gun-for-facebook-photo-080314]

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
This guy seems like a complete idiot. :/

I never understood peoples desire to take a selfie I have never taken one nor do I feel the need to.

But why take one with a gun let alone one that's loaded that's just asking for a bad time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
First rule of gun safety: Do not point the weapon at anything that you do not wish to put a hole in.

Second rule of gun safety: Be aware of the weapon's state of readiness at all times. (i.e. Loaded/unloaded, cocked/uncocked, safety on/off.)

Do they not teach people this shit anymore? Or are some people just too dumb to listen to what is essentially just common sense?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Zhukov said:
First rule of gun safety: Do not point the weapon at anything that you do not wish to put a hole in.

Second rule of gun safety: Be aware of the weapon's state of readiness at all times. (i.e. Loaded/unloaded, cocked/uncocked, safety on/off.)

Do they not teach people this shit anymore? Or are some people just too dumb to listen to what is essentially just common sense?
Honestly, while rules are good and all...one should think that it wouldnt be necessary to remind people to not point deadly weapons at themselves.

I cant muster any sympathy for this. Not a single gram of it.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Zhukov said:

Unfortunately, there are just too many people and too many firearms. Even if the overwhelming majority of people use guns correctly and responsibly, this kind of thing is inevitable. It only takes one idiot.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While i doubt this is the only time that this has happened, I truly wish that people who own guns, actually respect the rules of them.

The number of moronic deaths is staggering. I respect people's rights to own a firearm, but I wish they would respect the weapons themselves and treat them properly.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
tzimize said:
Zhukov said:

Honestly, while rules are good and all...one should think that it wouldnt be necessary to remind people to not point deadly weapons at themselves.
Exactly!

I mean, okay, someone wants to break the first rule in order to take a "cool" photo of themselves. Fine. I don't approve, but whatever, it's his gun.

But you'd think that the very first consideration upon deciding to do this would be something along the lines of, "Gosh, better make sure there aren't any bullets in this thing. Maybe turn the safety on while I'm at it."

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
"Man, my vatos are gonna think this shit's so fly when they see this on Instagr-"

*sudden white-out*

"Um, hi? Saint Peter, here. You're free to pass but, seriously? If I may?"

*Saint Peter clears his throat*

"That. Was. Fucking. Stupid."

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While it is a tragic news but come on! It's common sense to check if the gun is loaded or not!

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
I find it quietly amusing that the picture used to illustrate this poor tool's demise - a tool who liked to pose in front of fast cars and pretty girls - shows him taking a selfie in front of flip-flops and gloves.

It's a shame, but I'm surprised that this kind of thing hasn't happened before.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh.

Guy points loaded gun at own head and gun goes off. Gee wiz.

Thank God he didn't kill anyone else with his stupidity.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
"Good" is all I could think when I read the title.

I don't like photos tbh, and every time I see dumber and dumber people doing the "selfie" thing, to the point where a few months ago there was this girl that took one right next to a huge fire that pretty much wiped a couple dozen houses, but THIS? I mean you can't be that stupid and get away with it.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.
I'm not one to usually sympathise with people, but there's going to be a lot more here considering how the guy aimed at himself just to take a dumb picture.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
It really worries me when I think of all those people who don't quite appreciate the lethality of weapons going out and buying that one gun they really liked in Call of Duty.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
He didn't just point a real gun at his head.

He pointed a real, loaded gun, with the safety off at his head and probably while having the finger on the trigger.

That's really a lot more stupid than just using a real, unloaded gun!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Would have been doubly embarrassing if he was simultaneously pulling a duckface. Ouch!

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
tzimize said:
Zhukov said:

Exactly!

I mean, okay, someone wants to break the first rule in order to take a "cool" photo of themselves. Fine. I don't approve, but whatever, it's his gun.

But you'd think that the very first consideration upon deciding to do this would be something along the lines of, "Gosh, better make sure there aren't any bullets in this thing. Maybe turn the safety on while I'm at it."
I don't know much about guns, is it possible there was a round left in the chamber? I'm told that happens with some gun models, and while it would still be pretty irresponsible of him to point the gun at anything but the floor it'd at least explain his crazy actions somewhat.

All in all this got me to thinking: guns traditionally require some professional training before their owners can handle them 100% correctly, right? Implying that operating a gun safely is just plain hard. So if you're then going to sell those guns to any sane person, wouldn't it make sense to put in some serious idiot-proofing? My lawnmower stalls if it hits anything harder than a branch. My chainsaw requires both hands on the handle to run. Surely similar measures could be installed in commercially available guns?

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
What universe do you live in? Stupidity practically is a death sentence.

Too dumb to not hop down into a subway line to pick up your dropped phone? Death Sentence.

Too dumb to put your dang phone away in traffic? Death Sentence.

Too dumb to not point a loaded gun at your F'n head for a photo shoot? Death Sentence.

Too dumb... it goes on and on.

I have a hard time generating sympathy for people hurting themselves with their own stupidity. I save my sympathy for those people hurt by others' stupidity, and a little for those left behind when stupid people off themselves.