Marvel Gives Rocket Raccoon Co-Creator Private Guardians of the Galaxy Viewing

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
Marvel Gives Rocket Raccoon Co-Creator Private Guardians of the Galaxy Viewing

Injured co-creator of Rocket Raccoon, Bill Mantlo, gives "big thumbs up" after seeing Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy flick.

Fresh off of a record breaking opening weekend, Guardians of the Galaxy movie is on track to be one of the biggest hits yet for Marvel Studios. Unfortunately, it seemed unlikely that the co-creator of one of the film's biggest stars would get the opportunity to see his comic book creation brought to life onscreen. That apparently changed over the weekend, with Marvel setting up a special private viewing of the film for the brain injured writer.

Back in July of 1992, Bill Mantlo, co-creator of Rocket Raccoon, was the victim of a hit and run accident while on his way home from a routine rollerblading trip. The impact left the former Marvel writer in a coma from which he was eventually able to recover, but not without suffering irreparable brain damage. As a result, Mantlo now resides in a dedicated healthcare facility, where he receives around the clock care from the staff, as well as his brother, Michael.

Due to the severity of his injuries, Mantlo was unable to make the trip to a theater in order to see the big screen debut of his creation in Guardians of the Galaxy, prompting execs at Marvel to do the next best thing and bring the movie to Mantlo. According to a Facebook post [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152700987344623&set=gm.10152349087841245&type=1&permPage=1] left by Michael Mantlo to his brother's official page, Marvel Attorney David Althoff and Marvel VP David Bogart came by to not only visit Bill Mantlo, but also brought with them a digital cut of Guardians of the Galaxy so Mantlo could join in the excitement and celebration of the movie which his vision helped to create.

Regarding Mantlo's reaction to the viewing, his brother Michael posted [https://www.facebook.com/groups/bill.mantlo.fans/permalink/10152349123886245/] the following on Facebook:

"*****WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY FOR BILL MANTLO*****! Marvel hooked Bill up with a PRIVATE VIEWING of 'Guardians Of The Galaxy', and my wife Liz and my beloved cousin Jean assisted Bill throughout, enabling him to sit back, relax and relish in the AWESOMENESS of what is going to be, in my humble opinion, Marvel's GREATEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL FILM EVER! Bill thoroughly enjoyed it, giving it his HIGHEST COMPLIMENT (the BIG "THUMB'S UP!"), and when the credits rolled, his face was locked into the HUGEST SMILE I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM WEAR (along with one or two tears of joy)! This was the GREATEST DAY OF THE LAST 22 YEARS for me, our family, and most importantly, BILL MANTLO!"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That was very nice of them to do that for Bill Mantlo, I didn't knew they had a private facility to care for him (I guess they have similar facility for other injury writers aswell?).

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
i'm not ashamed to say it, this literally brought tears to my eyes in happy. Thank you marvel for making this story real and giving a good end to the day :)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Way to stay classy marvel. You're not happy with how much people love you? You really need more? :p

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Well done, Marvel. But is he actually going to get any money from this film? Because his treatment isn't cheap and I think that would be an even nicer gesture.

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
Anachronism said:
Well done, Marvel. But is he actually going to get any money from this film? Because his treatment isn't cheap and I think that would be an even nicer gesture.
Actually, in a post earlier this year, Bill's brother posted that Marvel's reputation will Bill is "excellent" and that "Marvel has compensated, is compensating, and will continue to compensate Bill well into the future for anything that he's entitled to compensation for." That's doesn't mean it likely wouldn't help if Marvel decided to donate something more to the astronomical health care costs, but then again, that could be said of anyone donating anything to a good cause.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
That was very nice of them to do that for Bill Mantlo, I didn't knew they had a private facility to care for him (I guess they have similar facility for other injury writers aswell?).
It seems more likely it's a facility for around-the-clock care. Usually have a few dozen patients. Can't say I know though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
More like they are talking about a facility designed to help care for people with sever brain trauma. I doubt they would specialize to "writer's only" xD

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Scarim Coral said:
More like they are talking about a facility designed to help care for people with sever brain trauma. I doubt they would specialize to "writer's only" xD
Exactly. It's not a facility dedicated to injured writers ... it's an assisted living facility. The facility helps to ensure Mantlo gets the round the clock health care he needs, along with regular support and care from his family.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
MARVEL: Lets give someone who created a popular icon a nice gesture for his efforts in helping our company.

DC Comics: Bill Finger? ...NEVER HEARD OF HIM. #BobKaneDidNothingWrong

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
WldCard said:
Anachronism said:
Actually, in a post earlier this year, Bill's brother posted that Marvel's reputation will Bill is "excellent" and that "Marvel has compensated, is compensating, and will continue to compensate Bill well into the future for anything that he's entitled to compensation for." That's doesn't mean it likely wouldn't help if Marvel decided to donate something more to the astronomical health care costs, but then again, that could be said of anyone donating anything to a good cause.
Oh, excellent. That's really great to hear. Good for them.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The movie was pretty damned good. He must be proud to be a part of Marvel right now.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Leonardo Huizar said:
MARVEL: Lets give someone who created a popular icon a nice gesture for his efforts in helping our company.

Man, I just thought the exactly same thing.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Leonardo Huizar said:

Yeeeaaah...

And I've been getting the sense that Marvel has spent the last decade being super earnest about its efforts, while everything DC's been outputting sort of reeks of knee-jerk cynicism. Compare-and-contrast between Marvel Zombies and the Blackest Night event, for instance. That did give us Larfleeze and the Green Lantern reboot, but even these two got churned out to shadows of what they started out as. The Orange Lantern used to be Scrooge on crack, now he's a borderline-lovable cosmic foil that's stuck in a sort of neverending Pulp Sci-Fi comedy of errors.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wow. This was really awesome and really makes me feel like the people over at Marvel are some great people. They didn't have to go to the trouble of letting him see the movie, but they did. And that is a very nice gesture.

Somehow, this makes me enjoy the movie even more. Probably because Rocket stole the show half the time, anyway.