Xbox Live Gold Not Neccesary for EA Access

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Xbox Live Gold Not Neccesary for EA Access

EA Access doesn't require Xbox Live Gold, but Gold is necessary to play on multiplayer servers.

Last week Electronic Arts announced that they were bringing a subscription service titled EA Access to Microsoft's Xbox One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136509-EA-Access-is-the-Publishers-New-Subscription-Service-for-Xbox-One]. EA has followed up to confirm customers don't need Xbox Live Gold to purchase the service, "Any Xbox One gamer can join EA Access and take advantage of the benefits of membership." However Xbox Live Gold is necessary to play multiplayer portions of any EA game.

EA Access is a service that allows subscribers to access a collection of games EA will make available in what they've deemed "The Vault." In addition to these selections from EA's game catalog, subscribers will also have 10% discounts on all digital content. EA Access will cost $5 a month or $30 a year.

EA Access will only be available on Xbox One for now. Sony has confirmed EA Access will not be making its way to the PlayStation 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136527-Sony-EA-Access-is-Poor-Value-for-PlayStation-Users] because they "decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect."

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-access-wont-require-xbox-live-gold-but-youll-ne/1100-6421476/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
EA doing a not dick move? *Smacks self* This is crazy. Good for them. Then again, they need to do a lot more not dick moves to make up for the actual dick moves.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
erttheking said:
EA doing a not dick move? *Smacks self* This is crazy. Good for them. Then again, they need to do a lot more not dick moves to make up for the actual dick moves.
Woooh, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. There's still time...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kameburger said:
erttheking said:
This is true. As good old Jim Sterling once said "Forgive but do not forget"

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Finally we found it! The only good thing about EA access!!! Too bad you still require gold for multiplayer :/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kameburger said:
erttheking said:
Yeah. It's a step. But it's also just a step.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
erttheking said:
Ea isnt doing a move here at all. there is aboslutely no reason for anything to be on Xbox Live acess other than what is hosted by microsoft. SInce EA would get aboslutely no income from Xbox Live Subscriptions there is no reason for it to need Xbox Live. since when did we start celebrating news that "nothing changed"?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
erttheking said:
Ea isnt doing a move here at all. there is aboslutely no reason for anything to be on Xbox Live acess other than what is hosted by microsoft. SInce EA would get aboslutely no income from Xbox Live Subscriptions there is no reason for it to need Xbox Live. since when did we start celebrating news that "nothing changed"?
This.

Had the news been it didn't require Gold for the "vault" and online play than it'd be akin to the news of Sony not requiring plus for MMOs/FTP. As it is, its not really something I'd say being "good news".

I'm still somewhat shocked this wasn't put on PC first, but it is EA I suppose.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
This.

Had the news been it didn't require Gold for the "vault" and online play than it'd be akin to the news of Sony not requiring plus for MMOs/FTP. As it is, its not really something I'd say being "good news".

I'm still somewhat shocked this wasn't put on PC first, but it is EA I suppose.
I... what... you actually agreed with me on something? I believe this was a first time.

As far as why not put it on PC first, i thing even EA realizes that would fail. PC gamers buy full games for less and all this offers is 5 day demos. Not that its quality enough for console players mind you, it just has higher chance of suceeding there as they are used to paying more for less already.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
erttheking said:
Probably the console equivalent of EA's 'Origin'.

So just another account that needs making/remembering and one more hurdle everytime you go to turn on an EA game. Not to mention they'll probably sell the phone number you give them to social advertising services, but this is so common its barely worth mentioning.

Dick move. Unless you're the type that buys a console for sports games exclusively.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, that's good to know if I win an xbone and somehow get the urge to play Battlefield 4's campaign, Dragon Age, and FIFA 14. Anyone not taking advantage of the discounted multiplayer DLC would be wise to wait until the games and the major single player DLC they were interested in was out and get the one month subscription. That way you get the free games and discounts on what you wanted without dropping $30 and risking having nothing of interest come out for the rest of the year if you bought the $30 plan.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Logical decision. Most subscribers of the service will want to play online anyways, so EA doesn't need to earn their ire, by forcing them on Gold. Ms does that well enough.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
erttheking said:
Kameburger said:
erttheking said:
This is true. As good old Jim Sterling once said "Forgive but do not forget"
I'm a bit sketchy on forgiving too, really. They say forgiveness is divine. Well...I'm human.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
erttheking said:
Don't get ahead of yourself here.

EA have just announced that you don't need[/I] XBL Gold to buy the subscription that gets you a small discount on EA DLC and games, they didn't say that your account, subscription and DLCs would be in any way useful without XBL Gold. $30 for ten percent off Titanfall, Fifa and Battlefield DLC must be really good value when you can't play online.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
EA Access will only be available on Xbox One for now. Sony has confirmed EA Access will not be making its way to the PlayStation 4 because they "decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect."
I like this part. I.e. Playstation customers expect better value for money? =P

I don't have either console so doesn't bother me either way. In fact, as long as EA Access is not required to play anything I'm thinking it's pretty sweet - and I'm saying this as someone who avoids EA as much as possible. Although it is a bit crappy considering you do need a Gold subscription to play those games online.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Strazdas said:
erttheking said:
Sony's E3 2013 comes to mind.

OT: EA hasn't done anything, all they've done is not done a dick move they could have pulled.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Now you can play the.....two single player games in their service without having to pay for that pesky Xbox Live subscription!

Just the EA one.

THIS MAKES UP FOR EVERYTHING!

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Lets say you're a single player kind of person, with no XBL membership to speak of.

Now, you're looking forward to DA:I. You dont like Gamestop, so you tend to buy digitally.

You notice this service and pay $5 to activate it the month of DA:I release.

At this point, you play the game a week before release, then digitally purchase it at a 10% (Assuming $60 title, $6) discount.

We throw the cost of the EA service back on...and now you've paid $59 for your game, and got to play it a week early.

And thats without even deciding if you felt like trying the games in the vault, which are obviously subject to tastes.

Man, you guys in the topic are right, EA are such dicks.