Original Digimon Heroes Will Return For New Anime Series in 2015

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Original Digimon Heroes Will Return For New Anime Series in 2015

The original DigiDestined will return in Spring of 2015

Japanese media giant Toei announced over the weekend that a new series in their long-running Digimon anime franchise would debut in 2015 - and that it would see the return of characters from the original 1999 series that started it all.

At an event celebrating the 15th anniversary of the first series, which began the ongoing Digimon multimedia powerhouse, Toei revealed that the next anime series would return to the story of characters from the original two series/seasons, many not seen since the end of the second series in 2001. The brief video accompanying the announcement (later posted to Toei's YouTube channel) describes "New stories for all the DigiDestined in the world," and specifically highlights Taichi "Tai" Kamiya, who will appear in the new series as a 17 year-old High School student still accompanied by his Digimon partner Agumon. It has not yet been revealed which (if any) of the other original "DigiDestined" heroes will appear.

The original Digimon Adventures, based on a popular line of virtual pet toys, followed a group of schoolchildren who could travel to an alternate Digital World, where they allied themselves with small creatures called Digimon whom they could induce to evolve into larger and more powerful forms in order to battle threats to both worlds. The story continued into a second series, before the franchise went in different directions (with new casts, continuities and status-quos) in subsequent installments. The new series (which does not yet have an official title) is scheduled to debut in Spring 2015.

Source: Toei [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVnqtcBcsPo]

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
That's pretty cool, could be a nice nostalgia trip for the children of the late 90s. Funnily enough, I had the idea for something similar pop into my head recently, but with the third series, which was the best series.

Is Digimon still a big thing in Japan? It's sort of passed under the bridge here in the West, but it must be still going strong overseas.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I'm excited. It probably won't follow the plot lines of the other seasons, but even so, I believe Tai and many of the others were in high school during the second season, if I recall correctly. It probably won't be the case, but if all of the cast was brought back, maybe they will do the dark ocean plotline that was discarded from the 2nd season? I know a lot of people were mad that it was never followed through the second season. I only watched the first 4 seasons (1and 4 being my favorite and not caring for 3), but I heard that the last bunch of seasons have been mediocre to bad. Hopefully this one is better. Even if not, I will probably watch this one.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
TizzytheTormentor said:
This will be pretty cool, I won't act like Adventure 1 was a masterpiece or anything, but it was one hell of a show for kids and actually pretty adult in what they showed (it could get freaking brutal and deaths actually happened and they weren't toned down very much) s chalk me up as excited!
It isn't something that will be considered great by many, but for the animation it had and production value, it was still pretty dang good. I have the first 2 seasons on DVD, and I need to get around to watching them again at some point. I remember the later half of the 1st season being quite dark. It's funny how it was one of the best seasons, with there not being a serious story and production values until season three, which wasn't that great.

I remember going through the TV channels and coming in halfway through the first episode of season one. I got hooked instantly, especially when Greymon came. I was pumped to see a giant dinosaur fighting monsters.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Wow, this brings up nostalgic memories. But Tamers is by far my favorite Digimon series

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why not make something like tamers again where it's kind of a deconstruction of the "my pet battle monster" genre.
That was good but the surface was barely scratched.
Be the madoka magica of pokemon.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Kingjackl said:
That's pretty cool, could be a nice nostalgia trip for the children of the late 90s. Funnily enough, I had the idea for something similar pop into my head recently, but with the third series, which was the best series.

Is Digimon still a big thing in Japan? It's sort of passed under the bridge here in the West, but it must be still going strong overseas.
Was the third series the one with the card upgrade thing going on? I remember watching and enjoying the first season and the second to a lesser extent[small](seasons, in my mind, are represented by changes in the main cast which may not reflect the actual show)[/small]. By the third I was either distracted by other shiny new shows that had come out or just wasn't part of the target demographic anymore so at that point I had moved on to some other entertainment.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Kingjackl said:

Was the third series the one with the card upgrade thing going on? I remember watching and enjoying the first season and the second to a lesser extent[small](seasons, in my mind, are represented by changes in the main cast which may not reflect the actual show)[/small]. By the third I was either distracted by other shiny new shows that had come out or just wasn't part of the target demographic anymore so at that point I had moved on to some other entertainment.
That was it, although the card upgrade thing disappeared around the midway point. Season three is more famous for it's incredibly dark second half, which was like 'Baby's First Evangelion'. The reason I had it on the brain is that I re-watched it recently and found it held up really well compared to some of the other shows of it's time. It was smartly written, had a decent English dub (again relative to the time) and some good emotional moments in between all the silly monster fights.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
I remember hearing about this a few days ago. I cannot not wait honestly though hopefully its better than what I've been hearing about the last few series.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
TizzytheTormentor said:
Super Cyborg said:
It isn't something that will be considered great by many, but for the animation it had and production value, it was still pretty dang good. I have the first 2 seasons on DVD, and I need to get around to watching them again at some point. I remember the later half of the 1st season being quite dark. It's funny how it was one of the best seasons, with there not being a serious story and production values until season three, which wasn't that great.

I remember going through the TV channels and coming in halfway through the first episode of season one. I got hooked instantly, especially when Greymon came. I was pumped to see a giant dinosaur fighting monsters.
I thought Tamers was the best Digimon season next to the original, Digimon Tamers, now that was full on dark as all hell, seriously, it starts off pretty brutal, but it got intense later on, poor fucking Jeri didn't have a very fun time in that series...

How the hell did a show with attempted suicide (among many other horrific things) get passed the radar?
While it was darker, it did not equate to better. I think a lot of the stuff was able to be passed of because it was fictional monsters that were dying. As for the Suicide part, it was implied and not shown, unless I don't remember correctly. Part of the problem with the show was that characters were either bland, or the character development was really rushed. I wanted to like the development of Rika, but it was forced and done really fast. Despite having higher production values, the US version really got lazy with different evolution voices, especially for the combined ones. There were other things that I had problems with.

I actually liked it when I was younger. Everyone keeps saying it's really good, and is deep. I must have missed those parts while getting angry over some of the stupider parts. I might try watching it again to see what I might've missed.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Super Cyborg said:
While it was darker, it did not equate to better. I think a lot of the stuff was able to be passed of because it was fictional monsters that were dying. As for the Suicide part, it was implied and not shown, unless I don't remember correctly. Part of the problem with the show was that characters were either bland, or the character development was really rushed. I wanted to like the development of Rika, but it was forced and done really fast. Despite having higher production values, the US version really got lazy with different evolution voices, especially for the combined ones. There were other things that I had problems with.

I actually liked it when I was younger. Everyone keeps saying it's really good, and is deep. I must have missed those parts while getting angry over some of the stupider parts. I might try watching it again to see what I might've missed.
I agree. The problem I had with the third season was that it got dark to the point of absurdity. The other Digimon seasons knew when to lighten up and when to get serious, but the balance got skewed pretty far in the latter direction with season 3. It actually wasn't that bad at first, having a few light moments here and there to balance the dark out, but it got darker and darker until there's a little girl being mercilessly mindraped every episode for the rest of the season.

OT: I haven't followed things much since season 4, but this might be enough to bring me back. I just hope that this results in a renewed interest in the video game side of things. Digimon World DS and Dawn/Dusk were brilliant, far better than anything their competitor Pokemon has ever produced and I hope to see more along those lines.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
loa said:
Why not make something like tamers again where it's kind of a deconstruction of the "my pet battle monster" genre.
That was good but the surface was barely scratched.
Be the madoka magica of pokemon.
What impressed me with tamers was that it was a deconstruction stil aimed at children. It didn't talk down to kids at all, it but dealt with very serious subject matter, and expected them to have the maturity to understand it. Perhaps that's why it's so divisive with the fans who grew up with it.

Incidentally, if you want a much darker mon deconstruction aimed at adults, go read narutaru (sometimes called shadow star). It's criminally underated and has some of the best character development I've seen. It is rather soul crushing though, I'll admit. Kind of like if Pokemon and Eva had a child.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
TizzytheTormentor said:
This will be pretty cool, I won't act like Adventure 1 was a masterpiece or anything, but it was one hell of a show for kids and actually pretty adult in what they showed (it could get freaking brutal and deaths actually happened and they weren't toned down very much) s chalk me up as excited!
I'm pretty sure I remember one episode where they had two goofy evil henchmen all but switch sides, before the ultimate badguy 'sent them to his dark dungeons', with the general way the characters acted pretty much made it clear that in the original they had been killed. so, yeah, if you can read between the lines, it wasn't toned down, but they did snip out at least some of the death aspects.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
overtone said:
Would be pretty cool but this looks like a hoax. Theres absolutely no information or new animation. Just an average looking video.
What makes you think it's a hoax?
The channel where that video is released doesn't seem to be a fake one and there is a web address shown at the end of the video. I'll admit there isn't much information on the site, even less if you go to the english version (and I'm not good enough at japanese to understand anything on the japanese page). As for new information or new animation, it's planned to be released in spring next year, so there is still plenty of time to release more information. I would like more information as well but I guess they thought that in this case less is more right now.

I'm curious about whatever they plan, the first season was my favorite. I hope that they don't just make a cheap cashgrab based on the feelings of nostalgia from the now turned adult original fanbase.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
You're damn right I'm hyped. Hopefully can get a sequel to Tamers as well, since they got the heroes to that together on that last series. It deserves a more conclusive ending.

Calumon: User group plug go! :D

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Huzzah! Damn right I'm watching this. I stopped watching with the release of Series 3, I had a bit of a falling out with the network.

They were showing season 2 in order, from start to finish (which I have sinced learned only had 3 episodes left), I had been watching it religiously every day for months as a child,(they showed only one episode a day) only for them to one day in the middle of the week just start showing season 3, with season 2 never to be heard of again. Needless to say, I was quite pissed off. Curse you CITV! *shakes fist*

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Sounds like it'll be a nostalgia trip. Makes me wonder what kind of motives went behind this kind of teaser. I loved the first season, but to be frank I wouldn't exactly miss the characters from the second. Like David, or Davis, or whoever. But Veemon can stay. He was okay. IIRC, T.K. and Kari were the most sensible humans throughout that season, and the villain was fairly goofy. But the first season was a fun adventure into a new world, etc, so I'm just wondering where this would actually go.

And what was with the end? Did Tai steal his sister's whistle or something?