8 Video Game Sequels That Are Better Than The Original

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Video Game Sequels That Are Better Than The Original

Quite often sequels just rehash the original story, and in those circumstances they usually do a poor job. But that's not always the case, sometimes the sequel is better than the original. Today we are going to take a look at some of those sequels that make the series even better.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm not sure if it's 'fair' to compare GTA1/2/SoL with any of the 3D ones.
The game play is just so different.
It's like comparing that Halo RTS to Halo 2.
But, still...and yet Vice City was so much better than GTA3.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Tanis said:
I'm not sure if it's 'fair' to compare GTA1/2/SoL with any of the 3D ones.
The game play is just so different.
I think it's pretty fair. I mean they did call it Grand Theft Auto after all. And the character was the same guy from GTA2 if memory serves.

I'm with you on Vice City though. They took the groundwork laid out by GTA3 and pushed it so much farther. Both in gameplay and in tone as well as story and narrative. There's just not a lot that I don't like about Vice City.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Putting Portal 2 on the list is just begging for arguments. While it's better than the original in many ways, some feel the added characters and scope were detrimental to the tight story of the first, delayed level transitions for the sake of finishing jokes was annoying (seriously, just make the hallways longer so at least the player can walk forward instead of just waiting), and a fair few of the puzzles (particularly in the Cave Johnson areas) rely more on finding portable walls than actual puzzle solving. I liked Portal 2 better despite this, but it definitely wasn't without fault, and there's bound to be more than a few people who feel the first was better.

P.S. Thanks

blackaesir

May 16, 2014
Jedi Knight II: Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy are both better than Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. The first Jedi Knight was a good game, but Force powers were better implemented, and it was simply more fun to be a Jedi in the second two Jedi Knight games. This is especially true for lightsabre combat.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Saints Row 2 was better than Saints Row, Arkham City was better than Arkham Asylum, and Doom II was better than the original. Also, I'd argue that Saints Row IV was better than the first and third installments, even if it didn't surpass SR2.

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
Really? AC1 and AC2? I played and finished the first one and thought it was the worst paced game built around the most shallow "stealth" game play I had experienced in a long while. Then I read so many glowing reviews of AC2 and decided to try it. It was only marginally better...

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Yay, BL2 and GTA3 made it onto the list. GTA2 remains the best in the series though due to it setting that never made it in any other GTA (seriously, Anywhere City never got re-used).

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
No Crash Bandicoot 1 to 2? 1 was pretty darn okay, but 2 was stupendous in every facet of its design.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Huh. And here I would have put Streets of Rage 2, or Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) on the list. Or Street Fighter 2, or Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition, or Samurai Shodown 2, or Road Rash 2, or Devil May Cry 3, or...

Okay, so we can conclude that it's basically just a coin flip whether a sequel will be derivative and shallow towards the original, or refines it?

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
Sly Cooper two was also just like a giant leap from the first. Which was some weird (But fun) Spyro/Bandicoot rip off.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
DrStrangelove said:
The original Halo came out in 2001, it amazed everyone because it was so good it gave the FPS genre some actual credibility.
Maaaybe for console shooters, 'cause the PC already had everything from Quake and Unreal Tournament to Half Life and No One Lives Forever.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I feel like this is a strange choice of topic; games generally being iterative I think sequels are more often better than their predecessor than not (Not always in story or freshness, but the game mechanics tend to get better)