BattleTanx: Global Assault - Armor Improved

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
BattleTanx: Global Assault - Armor Improved

The tanktasticness continues with BattleTanx: Global Assault. Picking up where BattleTanx left off, it takes the strong foundation of the first game and builds on it with more powerups, more missions and, best of all, more tanks!

Read Full Article

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I cut through the dust and fired this one up (the N64 version, I didn't realize the PS1 version was any different) just the other day when I heard you were reviewing it as well. It still works. It still rocks.

It also resulted in one of my favourite Game Grumps episodes, which nicely encapsulates some of the things I like about it:

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
This game was fun in the same vain at Twisted metal. I wish something like this would come out for the new consoles.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Proof that 'characters' aren't superior to Blank Slates. And, the Psychic Powers plot really rubbed me the wrong way. On the other hand, it the in-game Psychic Power... power... seemed to compare your tank's power to the opposing tank's power. Driving into a swarm of enemy tanks with a Goliath and converting those you don't crush to your side, and disabling the rest, was really fun.

As for the soundtrack - Global Assault seemed to have a less 'obviously MIDI" feel to it - probably because of the reduced reliance on "Are these supposed to be Brass Instruments?" in the soundtrack. And I loved This song in particular. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYL6YTtNI8]

Unfortunately, no "Apocalyptic Ride of the Valkyries" like the first game's first level opened up with.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
This was the game that my brother and I played almost every day back in the 90s. During holidays when we're both home again, we always break this game out, grab a few beers, and play. Its SO good! So much fun, so challenging, such a worth while experience.

Please let this be on Steam! Please!

EDIT: F*CK! ITS NOT! TODAY IS A FAILURE!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
This was the game that my brother and I played almost every day back in the 90s. During holidays when we're both home again, we always break this game out, grab a few beers, and play. Its SO good! So much fun, so challenging, such a worth while experience.

Please let this be on Steam! Please!

EDIT: F*CK! ITS NOT! TODAY IS A FAILURE!
Just grab it on Playstation, I just did for $20. I used to play this as a kid but couldn't remember what it was called, thanks for revealing this escapists! I look forward to more of these reviews.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
StewShearer said:
The turret on your tank, for instance, can now be turned from side to side whereas it was stationary in the original.
You need to change the control scheme preset, in the options menu, from basic to use the turret. After you change the control scheme the yellow arrow keys are then used to turn it left and right.

EDIT: Also, I cannot personally call this song generic.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Played the hell out of these in college. Twisted Metal (and the superior vigilante 8) and car combat were pretty popular at the time this was on the long list of things dismissed as 'clones'. I however loved this one. If someone did a kickstarter reboot I would throw money at them.

Only if it has couch multiplayer though. Otherwise it's just not the same.