New Mega-Evolutions in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby Trailer

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
New Mega-Evolutions in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby Trailer

Four more Mega Evolutions are added to the roster in this new trailer for Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby.

The Pokemon Company released a trailer yesterday for the upcoming Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Pokemon Omega Ruby that shows off new Mega Evolutions, as well as a special Cosplay Pikachu and the return of Horde encounters. The Mega Evolutions included are Mega Salemence, Mega Altaria, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Metagross.

The Pokemon Contest Spectacular resembles a similarly named in-game event from Generation III in which the player may have his or her Pokemon judged in one of five categories-Coolness, Beauty, Cuteness, Toughness, or Smartness. The player's Pokemon is then matched up against Pokemon of other NPCs, and Pokemon that do well in the competition have a chance to Mega-Evolve and further increase their scores. Pikachu's new Cosplay forms (Rock Star, Pop Star, Ph.D, Belle and Libre) are eligible to participate in the contests as well, with each one having their own special moves.

Players who purchase either version of the game on November 21 will be able to receive a special Shiny Beldum through in-game distribution that will be holding a Mega Stone. Once Beldum evolves into Metagross, it can use its Mega Stone and become Mega Metagross.

Below is a gallery of the new Mega-Evolutions as well as Shiny Metagross.

[gallery=2990]

For more The Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136680-Web-based-Pokemon-Store-Launches-in-North-America]!

Source: YouTube [http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/10/5988221/pokemon-mega-evolutions-alpha-ruby-omega-sapphire-shiny-metagross]

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I really like Mega Altaria's design. I'm thinking of getting Alpha Sapphire, though I wasn't too fond of X&Y myself.

That being said, I've got a question for any Pokémon experts who may be here: how is the 3rd generation of Pokémon regarded in the grand scheme of things in terms of new Pokémon it brought to the table and additions to the gameplay?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Mega Lopunny is adorable.

Not sure how I feel about Nintendo just handing out a shiny, though. They're already easier to find than in the past in X/Y.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
loa said:
Oh my god why the cosplay pikachu...
Kill it with a spoon.
I'll just make team of Pikachus in different outfits. That couldn't possibly backfire.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Mega Salamance? Does Game Freak just HATE fun? DO THEY WANT US ALL TO COWER IN FEAR OF EVERYTHING FOREVER!?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Mega Lopunny is adorable.

Not sure how I feel about Nintendo just handing out a shiny, though. They're already easier to find than in the past in X/Y.
For me it undermines the Shiny Beldum I got back in Emerald...it took a long time as well as a lot of luck to get that, and now they are just being handed out like cheap candy. T^T

OT: Already said things about these new Mega Evolutions, so I'll just copy and paste what I wrote before:

Neronium said:
Alright, here are my thoughts on these new 3:

Mega Altaria: So fluffy, so cute, and with typing to kill all? Why thank you GameFreak. :D

Mega Lopunny: Looks okay I guess, seems quite odd that a Gen IV Pokemon is getting a Mega Evolution in the Gen III remake, would've thought that more of the Gen III Pokmeon would've had priority. I mean we could have had Mega Tropius!

Mega Salamence: Go home designers, you're drunk. I'm sorry, but that looks so damn stupid for what they gave to Salamence. Now, I was never really a fan of Salamence back in the Gen 3 days (Flygon for life!), but I thought the design was fine. Mega Salamence, as Scarim Coral put it, looks like a damn airplane.
Also, I'm sorry but the dress up Pikachu seems dumb.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
well, at least the free mega metagross won't be nearly as crazy as the free mega blaziken

there's pokemon and then there's nuclear weapons

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I was kind of hoping that MegaLopunny would be super buff an muscly to the point where it made Thor look like the new Wonder Woman.... That would have made my day.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
weirdee said:
well, at least the free mega metagross won't be nearly as crazy as the free mega blaziken

That thing that runs into the angry bird introduced in that generation who counters its entire existance or the trollkey who makes the overpowered passive useless and is in pretty much every team?
Eh. You wanna talk about warcrimes, try mega mawile and mega kangaskhan.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
loa said:
weirdee said:

That thing that runs into the angry bird introduced in that generation who counters its entire existance or the trollkey who makes the overpowered passive useless and is in pretty much every team?
Eh. You wanna talk about warcrimes, try mega mawile and mega kangaskhan.
eh, not talking about metagame, just main game

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I dunno what you all are talking about, a lucha-libre Pikachu that knows Flying Press sounds absolutely amazing to me. Conceptually, at least.

Anyways, I like all of the new megas so far. Some more than others (I'm a bit wary of Salamence, to be honest, but he's growing on me).

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Z of the Na said:
Nintendo has given away quite a few shinies in the past. Most notably was how they were giving away a shiny Entei, Suicune, and Raikou alongside the Zoroark movie (between Gens 4 and 5 in 2011). Even last year, they gave away a shiny Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina at Gamestops. This doesn't count the shinies in more exclusive contests and special events (I believe Japan is getting a shiny Diancle for the movie). There are a few times you meet them in-game, like Red Gyarados in Gen 2 (a mandatory encounter that's always 100% shiny) and Gible, Dratini, and Haxorus in Gen 5.

OT: Mega Altaria looks adorable! Geeze, I just want to hug it! I mean, it was floofy and huggable to begin with, but now even moreso! Eeeee!

Mega Lopunny looks ok, but man, Salamence looks like a plane. I was never a huge fan of Salamence visually (more of a Dragonite fancier myself), but...wow. I guess it would depend on how good it is if I add one to my team. It hits like a train, but it's so bloody fragile. Ah well, I'll be rockin' my Mega Metagross then. Metagross is one of my favourite shinies.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
That being said, I've got a question for any Pokémon experts who may be here: how is the 3rd generation of Pokémon regarded in the grand scheme of things in terms of new Pokémon it brought to the table and additions to the gameplay?
Well, in one way it implemented many mechanics that future games would make a standard, the biggest being abilities and natures for individual Pokemon. That changed everything when it came to the battling. It introduced the running shoes so now you would not have to walk around everywhere. Contests, a new villain team outside of Team Rocket, and a lot of little stuff here and there.

As for the new Pokemon, it all depends on who you talk to. Gen 3 was the generation that spawned the notion to many people that there are too many Pokemon, and they all suck after gen 2. That mentality is sort of gone now, but a lot of people have something against the third gen. Also remember that Ruby and Sapphire came out when Pokemon suffered the biggest backlash to its popularity. It went from what was cool, to being cool to hate at the time. So the perception of the GBA games suffered. I love the third gen games myself, and I certainly recommend getting the remakes if you never played the originals, but like the Pokemon games anyway.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I think it's a little silly to complain about giving out a shiny Beldum. It's not like it has any advantage over regular pokemon and shiny pokemon are still hard to obtain normally.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Hmmmm. If GameFreak stopped making new pokemon and simply just threw in random new mega evolutions I would so buy a 3DS and get back in the game.

I still love the franchise, or at least the idea of it, just burnt out on the constant game of catch up.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
More info on these three new Megas (from Bulbapedia):

Mega Altaria is Dragon/Fairy and has the Ability Pixilate. It is 1.5 m (4'11") tall and weighs 20.6 kg (45.4 lbs.). It has a big boost in Attack and Special Attack. It also gets a boost in Defense. It is said to have a more beautiful voice than the regular Altaria. It is not timid and is very sociable. Its feathers are much larger to give it more self-protection.

Mega Lopunny is Normal/Fighting and has the Ability Scrappy. It is 1.3 m (4'03") tall and weighs 28.3 kg (62.3 lbs.). Lopunny can now use High Jump Kick. It has a big boost in Attack and also gets a boost in Speed. A strike from its ears is said to to break solid steel plates. It becomes aggressive which can surprise its trainer.

Mega Salamence is Dragon/Flying and has the Ability Aerilate. It is 1.8 m (4'11") tall and weighs 112.6 kg (247.8 lbs.). It has a big boost in Defense. Its wings have fused into one single large wing that looks like a crescent. It slices through anything that gets in its way.
Also, there's these two new Megas that got leaked on a Korean website:

Mega Slowbro is Water/Psychic and has Shell Armor. Its Defense increases greatly and its Special Attack is also raised. It is 2.0 m (6'07") tall and weighs 120.0 kg (264.6 lbs.).

Mega Audino is Normal/Fairy and has Healer. Its Defense and Special Defense are increased. It is 1.5 m (4'11") tall and weighs 35.0 kg (70.5 lbs.).

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
soren7550 said:
Also, there's these two new Megas that got leaked on a Korean website:

Mega Slowbro is Water/Psychic and has Shell Armor. Its Defense increases greatly and its Special Attack is also raised. It is 2.0 m (6'07") tall and weighs 120.0 kg (264.6 lbs.).

Mega Audino is Normal/Fairy and has Healer. Its Defense and Special Defense are increased. It is 1.5 m (4'11") tall and weighs 35.0 kg (70.5 lbs.).
Why Mega Audino so early? All Audinos are really good for is just for EXP farming because of the ridiculous amounts of EXP they give. I like Mega Slowbro though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be twiddling my thumbs until GameFreak announces a Mega Tropius for the Gen III remakes...*goes into corner and sits, twiddling thumbs*