Report: Assassin's Creed Movie To Feature New Characters, Story

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Report: Assassin's Creed Movie To Feature New Characters, Story

Site claims Assassin's Creed movie will feature new hero, Spanish Inquisition setting, female sidekick

Busy actor Film Divider [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/michael%20fassbender] is claiming to have the answers.

According to the report by Patrick Dane, Fassbender's Assassin will be a new character named Aguilar de Agarorobo, and the story will take place primarily during the Spanish Inquisition and involve real-life historical figure Torquemada as its main villain. As in the games (which are based around a device called The Animus which allow a user/subject to leap into the virtual mind of their genetic ancestors) Fassbender will also portray Aguilar's present-day descendant, a Death Row inmate named Michael Lynch, being experimented on by the evil Abstergo Corporation. The report also mentions game villain Alan Rikkin playing a key role, and Michael (and possibly also Aguilar?) being aided by a female Assassin named Lara.

The film is currently set for release in August of 2015, with Justin Kurzel directing. The report does not cite a source, and the studio has not commented.

Source: Film Divider [http://www.filmdivider.com/4637/everything-we-know-about-michael-fassbenders-two-roles-in-assassins-creed/]

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
sounds interesting. and (if true) it's great they're actually using a new time period instead of adapting a game's story.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Okay, so our present day hero will be in a circumstance where he'll be facing a powerful organization because of something he cannot be accountable for(his heritage) while also having his impeding death hanging over his head.

And he'll experience first-hand his ancestor fighting for people in a similar situation.

Sounds like a decent enough hook.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
albino boo said:
I didn't see that coming, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition......

Ok I will leave now
Actually, they provided a 30 days notice so that you can purify your soul in time for the inspection :p

A step in the right direction, I think. Better it be that the story is original so that it can evolve to become its own animal and not be restricted by the games.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I am not the biggest fan of the Assassin's Creed series (not since Altair, tbh), but I like the idea that the movie is going to be a supplement rather than an adaptation.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
A female assassin? What the hell, hasn't Ubisoft told Justin Kurzel about how much harder and more expensive it is to use female characters? It's like they want this movie to fail.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
That's their main weapon. Surprise. Surprise and fear

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
Actually, they provided a 30 days notice so that you can purify your soul in time for the inspection :p
that sounds hilariously bureaucratic for such a fanatical organization.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Combustion Kevin said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
that sounds hilariously bureaucratic for such a fanatical organization.
Well, even zealots had paperwork to fill out. :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Great, so now they'll have a movie series in which they have no fucking clue what they're doing. You might be able to get away with having a game franchise which you've admitted that you don't know where the story is going or how it's supposed to wrap up, but people tend to expect a bit of finality to their movies.

Wish that same expectation could be held about games so we could stop getting crap like...oh, I don't know...the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
bojac6 said:
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
Their 2 main weapons are Fear and Surprise. And ruthless efficiency.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
bojac6 said:
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
Their THREE main weapons! Fear, Surprise, Ruthless Efficiency... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Kurt Cristal said:
Darth_Payn said:
bojac6 said:
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
Their THREE main weapons! Fear, Surprise, Ruthless Efficiency... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.
I think you're going to need a do-over.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Kurt Cristal said:
Darth_Payn said:
bojac6 said:
albino boo said:

Ok I will leave now
and nice red uniforms

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Often said:
A female assassin? What the hell, hasn't Ubisoft told Justin Kurzel about how much harder and more expensive it is to use female characters? It's like they want this movie to fail.
it's gonna take twice as much casting. dunno how they'll ever manage.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't know about everyone else. But I liked the Prince of Persia movie and these two franchises are a bit similar.
So anything at the same level of PoP will be fine by me :)
Of course I am hoping they really nail it, they have so much they can do with this universe, let's just hope they don't try too hard.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
The title might as well have been "Assassin's Creed movie to feature characters and story. I'm surprised if the games or film feature either one half the time, something which, so far, the games have failed to do.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
I think this has the right idea for what it takes to make a video game movie: don't be the game, be a part of the franchise. Let's be honest here, Assassin's Creed has a very stated formula to the game: genetic memories, the animus, present-day ascendant, important event in history, and throwing around the name Abstergo. I know that sounds a little watered down, but you could probably make an AC comic, cartoon, anime, play, mockumentary, board game, RP server, around this formula.

I really see this succeeding if not as a piece of the AC franchise, that at least it's own movie and helps pave the way for other successful video game movies.

I remember a while ago someone saying that right now we're in the Batman Forever era of video game movies; if that's the case than I hope this movie will become the Sam Raimi Spiderman and act as the start of the era of better video game adaptations.