Far Cry 4 Preview - What Will You Find in Shangri-La?

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Far Cry 4 Preview - What Will You Find in Shangri-La?

The next entry in Ubisoft?s Far Cry series isn?t just about weaponized elephants. In between exploding Jeeps with your gargantuan tusked companion, you?ll get to explore the rich history of the mystical sanctuary, Shangri-La.

Read Full Article

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Wow. Everything I have read about Far Cry 4 has made me want it more- it seems in every way an improvement on Far Cry 3. And then I read this. Ethereal tiger sidekick? Summoned suicide bombing beasts? Teleporting creatures?

Yeah... no. You've lost me now. The human creature is far more cunning and interesting to explore than any pathetic immersion breaking 'beast' invented for the game. Completely and utterly lost me as a buyer.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
Makes sense, after all Far Cry 3 was free of silly things like a giant Ink monster you had to fight with infinite exploding arrows, a magical compass or the main character being clairvoyant (when high).

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Squilookle said:
Wow. Everything I have read about Far Cry 4 has made me want it more- it seems in every way an improvement on Far Cry 3. And then I read this. Ethereal tiger sidekick? Summoned suicide bombing beasts? Teleporting creatures?

Yeah... no. You've lost me now. The human creature is far more cunning and interesting to explore than any pathetic immersion breaking 'beast' invented for the game. Completely and utterly lost me as a buyer.
I was the other way. I like it when games go ahead and include fantasy and unreal elements. Though the impression have is that the Shangri-La elements are limited to just a few places. (Likely buffered in visions like in far cry 3.) I wouldn't mind if they were more omnipresent though. You open things up to a lot of fun ideas and game mechanics if your willing to step off the path of "realism"

njrk97

May 30, 2011
I3uster said:
Makes sense, after all Far Cry 3 was free of silly things like a giant Ink monster you had to fight with infinite exploding arrows, a magical compass or the main character being clairvoyant (when high).
The first one was heavily alluded to being a drug high basically, the others not so much but still im hoping the lurkers and other variation, along with the spirit tiger, are only featured in drug mission and not a normal enemy or ally in the open world since i think that would break immersion a little too much and force way more of a suspension of disbelief than im willing to handle.

In moderation basically, have the unreal stuff spread throughout and not outstandingly recurring, like they did in Far Cry 3 they kept it spaced out.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
nomotog said:
You open things up to a lot of fun ideas and game mechanics if your willing to step off the path of "realism"
I completely agree with that- but I'm not talking about realism. I'm taking about a shooter sandbox (which is what this initially appeared to be) versus a sci-fi shooter, which it sounds like now. Far Cry lost me the moment those stupid Trigens showed up, and I generally see any kind of beast or animal enemy as evidence of the game dev's inability to portray people as as multi-faceted as enemy as we'd ever need. Unless it's deliberately tongue in cheek like Blood Dragon, buy FC4 most certainly does not look to be tongue in cheek.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Squilookle said:
nomotog said:
You open things up to a lot of fun ideas and game mechanics if your willing to step off the path of "realism"
I completely agree with that- but I'm not talking about realism. I'm taking about a shooter sandbox (which is what this initially appeared to be) versus a sci-fi shooter, which it sounds like now. Far Cry lost me the moment those stupid Trigens showed up, and I generally see any kind of beast or animal enemy as evidence of the game dev's inability to portray people as as multi-faceted as enemy as we'd ever need. Unless it's deliberately tongue in cheek like Blood Dragon, buy FC4 most certainly does not look to be tongue in cheek.
My experience with far cry (1) was that the game was about to lose me when the super animal powers showed up. (I still miss them. :( ) You can squeeze a lot of verity out of human enemy types. Far cry 3 did. (Far cry 2 kind of didn't.) Including fantasy elements just lets you include even more verity. Visual verity especially.

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
From what I know of FC3, the variety of opponents mostly came from animals and heavily armored humans, right?!? Personally I don't really like the approach, since we are talking about animals as they actually exist. Yet the world was still filled to the brim with them. And in addition they were a ressource. While I understand, that Ubisoft tried to make exploration/interaction with the environment more important, it doesn't exactly feel very believable, does it?!? We are not talking about a fantasy/sci-fi-setting here. And even that would often not be an excuse, since even such settings should adhere to some rules.

Also, was the behaviour of the animals actually varied? I'm asking, because it certainly was the case in the STALKER-games. Also, the fact, that the exclusion-zone is basically a wilderness helped make the masses of mutants everywhere a little bit more believable. Same for the mutant-body parts. It makes more sense, that scientists would be interested in the mutations, rather than just murdering off the environment because somebody told you to, or because you want to make random stuff from it. Talk about gamey.

I guess it is in vain to hope that they would try to go back to some of the strengths of Far Cry 2. I'm not saying it was flawless, but apparently the level of gamey bullshit was far, far lower.