Watch Man at Arms Create an Awesome Lightsaber/Katana Hybrid

harpere

May 20, 2014
Watch Man at Arms Create an Awesome Lightsaber/Katana Hybrid

Because we don't have the technology to make lightsabers (yet), Man at Arms: Reforged created this lightsaber/katana instead.

Whether you grew up watching the original trilogy or the new trilogy, you probably left the theater after seeing Star Wars wanting your own lightsaber [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lightsaber]. And who could blame you? Star Wars made lightsaber fights look awesome, and there was only so much you could do with a cardboard tube and your own DIY sound effects. Sure, now you can buy plastic lightsaber toys or realistic prop replicas (which rather defeat the point since you can't play with them), but it's just not the real thing.

Of course this lightsaber/katana made by Man at Arms: Reforged [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH4hLIaXSWo] also isn't the real thing -- and it's sharp, so you still shouldn't play with it -- but it does bring classic Star Wars looks to an old-school blade. And like all Man at Arms videos, you get to watch the construction process along the way. Just be sure to watch through to the end for a Darth Vader cameo.

Source: Man at Arms [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH4hLIaXSWo]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I call bullshit, a stormtrooper actually hit something (even if it was just a glancing blow)

Seriously though, the only thing I wish they would've done is colored the steel of the blade like they did with the minecraft diamond sword, it would've been cooler if it was red like a proper sith weapon. Make no mistake though I am drooling and want one of my own.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
That is not a Katana, Masamune would turn in his grave to see someone forge a sword like that can call it one.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
This new "spin-off" series has honestly just been a big disappointment to me. It had an idea that could've been good, but none of the things they've done so far has really impressed me...

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
KaZuYa said:
That is not a Katana, Masamune would turn in his grave to see someone forge a sword like that can call it one.
I have next to no knowledge on items like this, but the video was still giving me a grave turning vibe. I wonder what Skallagrim's analysis of the Katana-Lightsaber would be.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Redryhno said:
This new "spin-off" series has honestly just been a big disappointment to me. It had an idea that could've been good, but none of the things they've done so far has really impressed me...
I feel the same. Best I can describe it as they're trying really hard to be Man at Arms while at the same time trying to be really different.

That... makes no sense, does it?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
soren7550 said:
Redryhno said:
I feel the same. Best I can describe it as they're trying really hard to be Man at Arms while at the same time trying to be really different.

That... makes no sense, does it?
It does. There's parts of it that are like it, but most of it is dead air effectively, Tony may not have been the most descriptive guy and I'm pretty sure alot of the audio clips were recycled through the episodes, but he at least tried doing more than,"And Jimbob picks up the metal, Jimbob is now hitting the metal with a bigass hammer, chuckle as I make a bad joke"

Then there's the fun little stories you got every once in a while about either the machines/tools or the people in general, this just seems really generic and their hybrid weapons, while completely impractical most of the time anyways, just look absolutely horrid, there's not even a little thing in the back of my mind telling me to stop questioning and just enjoy it.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Finally, humanity has a way to defend itself against light bulb throwing tyrants and tightly packed stacks of spaghetti.

Honestly though I was at least expecting them to put some LEDs inside the pommel to make the sword glowy in the dark, that's "just" a standard katana blade replica with a pretty cool pommel. Oh well, it's still a sweet piece though.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
sorsa said:
Finally, humanity has a way to defend itself against light bulb throwing tyrants and tightly packed stacks of spaghetti.

Honestly though I was at least expecting them to put some LEDs inside the pommel to make the sword glowy in the dark, that's "just" a standard katana blade replica with a pretty cool pommel. Oh well, it's still a sweet piece though.
That's how I feel about it. It's missing the Light in lightsaber. Oh well...

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
sorsa said:
That's because it uses a White Crystal...lol

Yeah, this is my main problem with this Hybrid, they didn't bother to put color on the blade, either with LEDs or just coloring the metal.

-------------------------------------
I don't really bother too much about their crafting technique or combat aesthetics. Those that complain about both as their priority are just ridiculous.
You have guys like "they didn't fold it" or "that pommel won't work for real combat" in a video series about combining famous weapons.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
KaZuYa said:
What makes it not a Katana? I know Katanas used a very specific forging process, but I don't know enough of it to even begin to discuss it with you. However, I'm guessing modern forging processes allow them to forgo some of the necessary processes using traditional methods.

As far as I'm /aware/ it resembles a katana, which was more the point, if you're going for the "it's not up to the standard of Masamune" angle.