PMS Evolved to End Bad Relationships, Says Scientist

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
PMS Evolved to End Bad Relationships, Says Scientist

Premenstrual syndrome may have evolved in humans as a means for women to decouple from infertile men in order to better survive as a species.

PMS is something of a sensitive issue, but Professor of Molecular Evolution Michael Gillings was brave enough to put forth the idea that premenstrual syndrome is actually a beneficial evolutionary [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126524-Evolution-Will-Kill-Off-Selfish-People] adaptation. According to Gillings, a woman experiencing PMS symptoms leads to an increased chance of a breakup, and historically, a woman in a "bad" relationship would experience PMS much more than other women. "Bad" isn't the term Gillings used; he calls them infertile relationships - which, from an evolutionary standpoint, are bad.

"In the past, women had many fewer menstrual cycles than women in modern societies, because they did not have control over reproduction and were either pregnant [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95130-Pregnant-Woman-Gets-Pregnant] or breastfeeding most of the time," said Gillings.

"Imagine that a woman was pair bonded with a sterile or infertile male. Then, even in the past, they would have had regular cycles. If women in these relationships exhibited PMS and this increased the likelihood of the pair bond dissolving, this would be a huge reproductive advantage.

"This simple phenomenon might explain the frequency of PMS," said Gillings. "There are various lines of evidence from DNA and behavioral studies that confirm this idea."

Of course, while this may have historically been a beneficial adaptation, society has come a long way. In many nations, women now have the freedom to become pregnant on their own terms, making such an adaptation unnecessary.

"Under this view, the prevalence of PMS might result from genes and behaviors that are adaptive in some societies, but are potentially less appropriate in modern cultures," said Gillings.

"Understanding this might help the management of PMS and will help change attitudes, for example, towards cycle-stopping contraception. PMS is a simple and natural behavior that arose as a consequence of our evolutionary past."

What do you think? Do you think PMS could have been an evolutionary adaptation?

Source: Macquarie University [http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eva.12190/full]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Why is it something of a sensitive issue? I've had no trouble talking with ladies about it. May be a cultural thing.
The theory sounds feasable. Evolution is a purely logical process. It isnt a choice, it just is like taking the route of least resistance.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I think it's a sensitive topic because it has been and still is tied into gender politics. People use the Angry woman= "Oh you must have PMS" argument as a way of dismissing and belittling the woman regardless of the validity of the claim. On the other side, it can be used as an excuse for bad behavior or even as a type of placebo effect "I am angry because I'm supposed to be angry at this time" Or at least that's what I've seen. I suppose it makes sense from a scientific standpoint, but I don't see how it translates to today. We mate for different reasons and with different partners than in the past and to say "Oh you're just breaking up with me because your PMS is telling you to" would be a dangerous and dumb precedent.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Evolution is awesome and I could definitely see this as a mechanism developing within humans... Consequently I am curious what other emotional defense mechanisms have we developed as a species? We often tend to think of evolution as a physical adaption, but emotional adaptions might be an increasingly important science. This blew my mind just now... I think I'm gonna have to sit back and science for a while until I explain this to myself!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I was going to say [i/]yaaaaaaaaaay evo psych[/i] but this aparently isn't evo psych

If I've ever expreienced PMS I don't think I've noticed...though I have had tomes gotten depressed leading up to that time of the month

Sgt. Sykes said:
We all know genders are just a social construct! To suggest that physical
gender may have something to do with human behavior is preposterous!
can we not? please?

Kuredan said:
I think it's a sensitive topic because it has been and still is tied into gender politics. People use the Angry woman= "Oh you must have PMS" argument as a way of dismissing and belittling the woman regardless of the validity of the claim. On the other side, it can be used as an excuse for bad behavior or even as a type of placebo effect "I am angry because I'm supposed to be angry at this time" Or at least that's what I've seen. I suppose it makes sense from a scientific standpoint, but I don't see how it translates to today. We mate for different reasons and with different partners than in the past and to say "Oh you're just breaking up with me because your PMS is telling you to" would be a dangerous and dumb precedent.
I have no issue that htis kind of thing or Evo Psych as a subject....I just find that people use it to justify all kinds of bullshit

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I think that is a stretch, to be quite honest. It works under the assumption that it's necessary for PMS to exist to reduce the likelihood of a woman staying with a man who is not producing offspring. Only, it's been shown that sex is not solely for reproduction in humans. Sex is also a means of keeping the bond between a man and a woman strong so they stay together to raise offspring. Women have other impulses as time goes on that strengthen their desire to have a child. PMS need not ever exist when a great many women seem to want to have them anyway. It also seems to work under the assumption that a people in ancient societies always sought to have a huge number of offspring, only evidence shows that prior to 10,000 BCE, the family unit that is the most successful and common is what is commonly known today as the "nuclear family". That is a mother, father, and two offspring.

Also, people seem to be working under the assumption that all traits people have are beneficial for one reason or another. That is completely false. Some traits people just have because that is how it happened. Just because the trait exists does not mean that there was ever an evolutionary advantage to having it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Uhhh, I think PMSing has also ruined a fair few GOOD relationships too, matey.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Baresark said:
the family unit that is the most successful and common is what is commonly known today as the "nuclear family". That is a mother, father, and two offspring.
Do not forget that not so long ago infant mortality was much, much higher than today.
So you might give birth to seven children, but only two might survive to reproduce.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Seems plausible and an interesting speculative consideration in regards to the stereotypical PMS.

To argue PMS does not happen is to argue that chemical reactions in the body do not effect the brain.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Uhhh, I think PMSing has also ruined a fair few GOOD relationships too, matey.
Oh, here we go.

OP: That's an incredibly speculative, stand-alone article.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
We all know genders are just a social construct! To suggest that physical gender may have something to do with human behavior is preposterous!
Oh come on, you sound like the anti-evolution folk who say "if we came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys!" It's just a complete strawman. The social construct argument says that gender is primarily a construct of society and is not the primary mover TODAY, not that that was always the case or that there is absolutely no relation between gender and other aspects of the person. This is because natural evolutionary processes have given way to social evolutionary processes where your success does not come from facing the elements but from conforming and succeeding at conforming to your own society. Now as we have full control of society as it is a product of us (unlike nature of which we are a product) we can shift it to fit our ideals.

Baresark said:
It also seems to work under the assumption that a people in ancient societies always sought to have a huge number of offspring, only evidence shows that prior to 10,000 BCE, the family unit that is the most successful and common is what is commonly known today as the "nuclear family". That is a mother, father, and two offspring.
Is this the case? I do not study anthropology so I am not familiar but from looking at some "primitive" cultures you often see polygamous units and in old civilization (those that came after 10,000 BCE) the most successful did seem to have various concubines and wives (see ancient Israel, Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc.). I honestly have no idea so this is a serious question.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
PMS does end bad relationships.

For example- if you're mad at a dude and he suggests it's cause you're on your period- evolution says dump that ************.

Luckily for me, my pill makes periods go bye-bye so I don't have to deal with that crap. Yay for science!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Interesting, the presumption that evolution directs itself towards purposes. Any actual benefit from evolution not related to natural selection is serendipitous at best, my friend. PMS does not exist for this purpose. It does not exist for any purpose. It simply exists.

McKitten

Apr 20, 2013
The theory is rubbish. The sort of fixed monogamous relationship (aka marriage) we think of as the standard isn't something that has been done by all humans throughout history, let alone by our ancestors from far enough back to have an influence on our physical evolution. Heck, a lot of the social traditions we think of as ancient aren't even half a millenium old, let alone the couple of dozen required to see noticeable evolutionary change.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Phasmal said:
PMS does end bad relationships.

For example- if you're mad at a dude and he suggests it's cause you're on your period- evolution says dump that ************.

Luckily for me, my pill makes periods go bye-bye so I don't have to deal with that crap. Yay for science!
Evolution doesn't say a thing. Said example female's inability to take an insult and said male's desire to throw it said it.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Note, most women do not experience PMS, and its actually contested if it even exists in the first place. This theory is illogical.
Whooo boy, better get writing to the various scientists and previous researchers involved in this study! They've clearly been wasting their time all along!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eva.12190/full