Om/One- The Levitating Bluetooth Speaker

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Om/One- The Levitating Bluetooth Speaker

Normal bluetooth speakers just not doing it for you anymore? How about one that floats?

The Om/One [https://omone.tilt.com/om-one] is a speaker that literally defies gravity. It consists of a magnetic base and a spherical speaker, but what may be the most interesting aspect about the Om/One is that the speaker levitates above the magnetic base. It spins in direct response to whatever audio happens to be playing through it, and the speaker can be removed from its position in the air in order to be used as a portable speaker. It also includes a microphone, making it usable for phone conversations as well. The Om/One comes in three flavors- black, white, and disco- and battery life is estimated to last around 15 hours.

The device is being developed by a company called Om Audio, creator of the Mantra line of speakers, and is still in the prototype stage. Om Audio has started a crowdfunding campaign [https://omone.tilt.com/om-one/checkout/amount] in order to cover the cost of production, and shipping will begin in December of this year. The amount to pledge in order to buy your own is $179, and $329 will score you two if you happen to be so inclined. Having started today (and since the writing of this article) the campaign has already surpassed its $100,000 goal by $3,000. There are 49 days left to make a donation, so there is still plenty of time to score this incredible piece of technology.

David Devillez, CEO of Om Audio, has history in the Navy developing sonar technology. "The first time I saw the device, I was astounded like everyone else," he said in a promotional video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfhdmC7oMY] for the device. "We recognized the potential for Om/One. We put all other product development projects on hold."

Plan on purchasing an Om/One for yourself? Let us know in the comments!

Source: Pocket Lint [http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130327-what-s-better-than-a-bluetooth-speaker-one-that-levitates] via Om Audio

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Thank god I don't have any money, because I've fallen prey to their floating gimmickry!

I'd have it modded as the Guardians Of The Galaxy Orb.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I have a studio grade audio setup, so I don't really see the appeal in this.

Bloody hell, I sound pretentious.

It is cool though.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Because. Necessary.

Oh the tears and broken things that would surround when the speaker blows out the speaker first week...

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
As a sound person I agree with you but this would be pretty great at parties.

Talk about raising the roof.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the biggest flaw in this is that they are bluetooth. speakers should be wired. always.

capcha: root beer float
oh no, capcha just ratted out their secret technique.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evil Smurf said:

Bloody hell, I sound pretentious.

It is cool though.
Honestly, I have trouble seeing the point in spending that much to send audio over Bluetooth. Unless it allows Bluetooth communication with the dead or through time or whatever. I mean, if I could Bluetooth the TARDIS....

I'm not sure this is any less pretentious. It's just the pretense of aesthetics over performance.

But they do look cool.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
Oh, has a mic too? Might be a real spiffy desktop gadget.. Might make for a good X-Mas present.

Pretentious or not, this just became a necessity for a groovy rig!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Oh right, it mixes the pretentious jackass stereotype and sci-fi perfectly.
Strazdas said:
the biggest flaw in this is that they are bluetooth. speakers should be wired. always.

capcha: root beer float
oh no, capcha just ratted out their secret technique.
Nothing should be wireless if you have a wired option. The quality over even the really nice stock audio systems in new cars is sub par and only good for a quick temporary thing. I can't even trust my bluetooth audio receiver to not go out in my basement within 20 foot line of sight of the transmitter as I walk around. Wifi can be as bad depending on the situation. Just use cables, people. Your ears and mental stability will thank you. All those lithium batteries are also a problem.

I'd rather buy one of these with a super flexible cable linking the speaker to the base. It takes away some of the mystic form to it but makes it better for the function. Having it rise only to be leashed to the base when you turn it on would be a cool effect.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
Dark Knifer said:
As a sound person I agree with you but this would be pretty great at parties.

Talk about raising the roof.
Hail audio compatriots!

I think it's not really meant for us so much as the party people and those with a touch of free desktop space. I'd like one just because I think it's nifty, but if we're using audio justifications then you can use it to check how things will sound on crappy speakers.

Also I just want to see how well they can do with audio across bluetooth.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Obviously, good quality audio isn't the selling point here. But the fact that it has a mic built in too- this means I'll definitely be buying one to put on my desk in my office, just so that for the few weeks before I get used to it, I can feel like it's the future every time I'm on a phone call. Now if only we could get Facetime to work with those really bad late-90's arcade game hologram projectors and tint it blue like a holocommunicator...

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
So does a speaker floating an inch off a pad do anything to improve sound quality? No? then I say it's a waste of money.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I wonder if they'll come out with different styles. I can easily see a Death Star version..in fact if they make one like that I'll buy 3 of them!

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
It certainly a very cool looking device, but they missed a trick by making it bluetooth IMO. Maybe if it was Wi-Fi, then I'd really be interested.