Catch a Glimpse of Surprise Cameos in Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Catch a Glimpse of Surprise Cameos in Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer

<youtube=yHeWOQvVRd8>​
The enemies of Thedas have some powerful words for the Inquisitor in the latest Dragon Age: Inquisition trailer from Gamescom.

The latest trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition dropped during today's EA presentation at Gamescom. The foreboding trailer not only shows off some important dragons, but it also features many of the recruitable party members and surprising cameos.

The cameos in question include a Warden and Hawke from earlier Dragon Age games. Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw confirmed on Twitter that the woman in the trailer is indeed Hawke. The man next to her, while a Warden, is not the Warden from Dragon Age: Origins [https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/499488340287422464], also known as the Hero of Ferelden. The two dash to the Inquisitor's side around 1:36 in the trailer.

"IF we were going to have one of your previous characters appear," Laidlaw tweeted, [https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/499481119927320577] "we would absolutely give you a chance to change his or her look."

Dragon Age: Inquisition executive producer Mark Darrah reflected earlier on why including the player characters of earlier Dragon Age games would be difficult. [http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/04/22/dragon-age-inquisition-interview-on-fan-feedback-romance-returning-characters-and-the-open-world/] "Hawke's story, it's not done, but the most important event of his life is essentially what's happening in Dragon Age 2," Darrah said. "With the warden from Dragon Age: Origins, he carries a lot of divergent baggage. Anything from he could be dead to maybe there's a kid in the picture, maybe he's actually ruling Ferelden with Anora."

With Origins, every player's Warden came out of the journey differently. Balancing that for Inquisition would be difficult. However, with this trailer, could BioWare be involving the Wardens and Hawke in the larger conflict of Thedas in Inquisition?

Dragon Age: Inquisition launches November 18 for North America and November 21 for Europe on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Source: Mike Laidlaw (Twitter) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeWOQvVRd8&feature=youtu.be]

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Well at least Morrigan doesn't look like a man anymore.

Shame the rest of the game looks like something Tumblr would make.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hey, there's Morrigan as well.

I like the idea of having Hawke show up. They could import the appearance of your Hawke along with the save game. Plus Hawke already had a voice (well, voices) so there wouldn't be the issue of a previously mute character chatting it up.

They could even modify Hawke's lines in accordance to how you played him/her in DA2. Although that's pushing it a bit.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im not going to lie, but I was pretty happy when Hawke showed up. I for one really enjoyed DA2, and I am happy that s/he is going to show up at some point, but I wonder how much on an impact s/he will have on the story. Same goes for the Warden, but they are going to be a lot harder to implement, especially seeing as s/he didn't talk in DA:O.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
My warden is dead?until he came back as a zombie in Awakening because of a bug. Like I said in another thread, I hope my Hawke will keep her personality, appearance and skills. I'd hate it that she turned into a "good mage" instead of my witty rogue.

nightangelvengance

Jul 16, 2012
All I can say is what the hell was a chaos spawn doing in the game! Damn it Tzentch's power spreads :p

Otherwise this is the game I was most looking forward to this year. Dragon age 2 was a massive let down but I love dragon age origins and love the mass effect trilogy(Last 5 minutes excluded) and so I hope this is a return to form for bioware.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Is it just me or was that trailer a mess? It didn't hold the same shot for longer than five seconds and character's lines were so uselessly out of context and short as to mean nothing, it barely qualified as a teaser.

Whatever, at least it has dramatic music and bright lights, wooh...

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Because Dragon age 2 started very close to how my Grey Warden's story finished in Origins i just remade my warden while thinking Bioware had just given him a name like commander Shepard.

So when Hawke and my Warden meet they will both probably going to ask "wait are we the same person"

Also how is character importing going to work across console generations?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
excellent, so just waiting for the Alistair cameo and confirmation that Varric is romanceable and you won't see me for the rest of the winter!

Spygon said:
Also how is character importing going to work across console generations?
Dragon Age: The Keep, an interactive website which will allow you to create your back story, who your warden was, who your Hawke was, who died, who didn't and who got it on with who.

It's currently in beta testing, but fingers crossed we'll have it soon

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
SO in other words all those choices from the other games aren't going to matter. Great, thanks Bioware. Glad CdProject Red is actually planning on delivering a good game and not something for tumblr to cheer about.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Please let their personality stick. Please let me make the Inquisitor snarky. Please let me see them and Hawke engage in the most epic of ham-to-ham combat.

I just want this one thing, Bioware. Just this one thing.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
shadowmagus said:
SO in other words all those choices from the other games aren't going to matter. Great, thanks Bioware. Glad CdProject Red is actually planning on delivering a good game and not something for tumblr to cheer about.
But from what I understand The Witcher 3 is going to have an import system similar to The Keep with a checklist at the beginning of the game, doesn't that mean it would be something for Tumblr to cheer about too?

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Nothing would give me a more gratifying boner than to see my Warden and Hawke swoop in to the final battle at the last moment, blasting demons from their way and turning the tide, while giving a passing nod to the Inquisitor.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
TravelerSF said:
Nothing would give me a more gratifying boner than to see my Warden and Hawke swoop in to the final battle at the last moment, blasting demons from their way and turning the tide, while giving a passing nod to the Inquisitor.
But don't you know? Swooping is bad.

I for one am kind of glad to hear that at least Hawke making a cameo is confirmed. I wonder if their respective love interest will be there too, since if you romanced someone, and they didn't end up dying or fighting against you, they traveled with Hawke while they were on the run.

As for the Warden, I'm not too concerned myself, seeing as my Warden ended up sacrificing herself, and leaving poor Alistair alone as the last surviving Ferelden Grey Warden. But hey, at least Alistair seems to make a cameo too, so there's that.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
Zhukov said:

I like the idea of having Hawke show up. They could import the appearance of your Hawke along with the save game. Plus Hawke already had a voice (well, voices) so there wouldn't be the issue of a previously mute character chatting it up.

They could even modify Hawke's lines in accordance to how you played him/her in DA2. Although that's pushing it a bit.
Probably not as much as your thinking as they are probably going to have a minor role, something like show up, help the player leave to do other important things off screen. so they COULD have had the VO do 3 styles and tailor depending on how your Hawke was characterized.

On a simular note

I don't think THE warden will show up, he might be referenced or alluded to by various people, be THE warden could be anything from a former City Elf to a Dwarven Noble, or King of Ferelden, as well as having vanished with Morrigan with a child who has the soul of an old god to take care of. so adding The Warden would be ALOT of work for honestly little payoff.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1:45 - is that Flemeth? It's nice to see the pieces coming together somewhat, after the small cameo at the end of DA2.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
James Charles said:
Zhukov said:

Probably not as much as your thinking as they are probably going to have a minor role, something like show up, help the player leave to do other important things off screen. so they COULD have had the VO do 3 styles and tailor depending on how your Hawke was characterized.

On a simular note

I don't think THE warden will show up, he might be referenced or alluded to by various people, be THE warden could be anything from a former City Elf to a Dwarven Noble, or King of Ferelden, as well as having vanished with Morrigan with a child who has the soul of an old god to take care of. so adding The Warden would be ALOT of work for honestly little payoff.
What I am thinking is that it might be "The Warden" from Awakenings for unlike "The Hero of Ferelden" their story is much less open ended. I just think having all the possible outcomes from "The Hero of Ferelden" might be a little too much to work properly in the game without having "that's not what my Warden did" issues.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
James Charles said:
I fully expect the Warden to make an appearance. After all, s/he and Hawke disappeared at the same time. I doubt that BioWare would go into much detail about the background of your Warden, just what's specific to the plot of DA:I.

I also have a sinking feeling it might be walled off as DLC akin to Shale.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
Texas Joker 52 said:
But don't you know? Swooping is bad.
Nice, I still need a few moments to compose myself again every time I get a load of Alistair's dry sarcastic wit.

Well, I was kinda hoping that my snarky ending to DAO would have played at least SOME role in future games, considering I landed my Mage as Alistair's Queen (figured that'd really cock-up the Templar's shit, it didn't). Oh well, made me chuckle the way that detail was completely ignored in DA2, might still be worth a chuckle to see that detail completely ignored in Inquisition.
A little disheartening, considering what they were trying to advertise the "carry-on" feature (or whatever it's called) as being ultimately capable of didn't come anywhere near the mark they had hoped for, but I still enjoy the series (including 2, just not as much as Origins).