Surprise! Metal Gear Solid V To Infiltrate Steam After All

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Surprise! Metal Gear Solid V To Infiltrate Steam After All

After a decade, Solid Snake returns to the PC.

So much for secrets. Earlier today, Konami's website briefly revealed a PC version of Metal Gear Solid V, both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. That post has since vanished, but Hideo Kojima later took the stage at Gamescom and announced it publicly: Metal Gear is coming to the PC via Steam.

Both games' [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/]Steam[/a] [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/]pages[/a] have gone live. While Ground Zeroes was derided as little more than [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9053-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes-40-Demo]an expensive demo[/a], the real meat-and-potatoes will arrive in the form of Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain. They also showed off [a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKEaUN1Sed4]15 minutes of gameplay[/a], which should give you an idea what you can expect. It features both cardboard boxes and Snake going full-on Kurt Russell, which is all anyone could really want out of a MGS game.

This marks the first PC port for the series since Metal Gear Solid 2. That was back in 2003, and it required a DVD drive (something that few gamers had then, and may not have now). While you might not be able to easily play the previous titles on the PC, but you can watch this [a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPbNi_UxNBw]7 hour supercut[/a] of all the talky bits in MGS 4 to get caught up.

As surprising as this might be, it's not all that unexpected, as the [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/235460/]Rising Revengeance[/a] spin-off has been on Steam since last year.

Neither game has a release date as of yet.

Source: [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/]Steam[/a] via [a href=http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-coming-to-pc-1620931594]Kotaku[/a]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If there's one upside to the ever increasing cost of generating games, it's the impetus it's given publishers to put the game out on every single piece of hardware they can make it work on.

I would still like a PC port of MGS3, since I gave my PS2 disc away to someone who hadn't played it long ago.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Add Metal Gear Solid to it and we'd have a deal. I wish either Steam or GOG would pick that up. That said more of Big Boss is always welcome, he's my favorite character in any game ever.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
That WAS unexpected. Good going Kojima.

Yay~

Xan Krieger said:
That said more of Big Boss is always welcome, he's my favorite character in any game ever.
I originally didn't want more metal gear, but then I saw that it was the story about when Big Boss finally goes full on evil mastermind. I was fully onboard then. 100%.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
Roofstone said:
That WAS unexpected. Good going Kojima.

Yay~

Xan Krieger said:
That said more of Big Boss is always welcome, he's my favorite character in any game ever.
I originally didn't want more metal gear, but then I saw that it was the story about when Big Boss finally goes full on evil mastermind. I was fully onboard then. 100%.
From what I have seen from previous games in the series "mastermind" is far too strong a word to be used for any villain in the series. Especially Big Boss or any Snake.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
So what, should we all be happy for that? I'm, for example, a pure PC player, and I didn't play any of Metal Gear games. I know there was one or two on PC, but why would I care? There were at least 4 more! I don't know shit about characters, story or setting. I think PC version will fail: console crowd will buy it on consoles, PC crowd will not care at all. All hail exclusives!

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Rastrelly said:
So what, should we all be happy for that? I'm, for example, a pure PC player, and I didn't play any of Metal Gear games. I know there was one or two on PC, but why would I care? There were at least 4 more! I don't know shit about characters, story or setting. I think PC version will fail: console crowd will buy it on consoles, PC crowd will not care at all. All hail exclusives!
Or the people who would have had to buy it on consoles can now get a cheaper, prettier version on their PCs? :D Hell, the last major MG game was near the beginning of the PS3's lifespan. There's tons of people (myself included) that didn't game on PC back in those days of old, but got into it over the past 6 years.

As for not knowing much about the characters, the setting, and the story? Well, I don't think it'd make much difference. MGS doesn't make a huge amount of sense anyway as it's fairly bonkers. If you can appreciate waddling around in a cardboard box to be 'stealthy', you'll be fine.

Ultratwinkie said:
I hope They put the legacy titles on steam too. Old games are basically free money. Steam needs more legacy titles.

I'd even accept GOG. Too many PC games from the pre-digital era are being lost to time because they don't want to sell on digital distribution, and it'd be nice to not go to ebay to get them on an outdated form of media.
Indeed. It'd be nice to have proper digital back catalogues of old games. Why can't companies like Sony make official emulators and sell games for them, like Sega do for the Mega Drive on Steam? Until that occurs there's always the unofficial emulators. Plus, if nothing else, a lot of PS2 games look surprisingly good when running at 2560x1440 :p

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rastrelly said:
Actually, there were TWO. And one was - more or less - a PSP exclusive. Before that, there was MGS3 and before THAT, there weren't any games. Every previous released game was set way later than MGSV.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
grimner said:
I am not seeing enough mention of the real talking points of this 15 minute gameplay trailer:

a) The horse has a dedicated "Defecate" button.

b) Horse manure can cause jeeps to slide off road.

c) You can then lasso said jeeps with a Fulton parachute.

d) You can apply said Fulton parachute to a goat.

Glad to see the game is not light on possibilities, at least. Oh Kojima, you maginificent deranged bastard.
Not to mention you can plant C4 on trucks and fulton them into helis to blow them up. That and the half-naked girls on boxes which I'm surprised hasn't had much backlash yet.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'd love a GoG version of both if anything but if not I'll probably just stick with getting console version, I'm not in the game for graphics before anyone tells me otherwise, I'd just love a DRM free PC version if they actually offered one.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
grimner said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Not to mention you can plant C4 on trucks and fulton them into helis to blow them up. That and the half-naked girls on boxes which I'm surprised hasn't had much backlash yet.
The trailer was only revealed for a couple hours, so give it time. It's actually relatively tame stuff in the Kojima insanity scale. We've seen him go a lot creepier than this.

Though I shudder to think that THIS is the more mature, adult approach to the franchise he's been talking about. Oh well, at least PC fans can see what half delights and half embarasses Kojima fans worldwide.
The box trailer was first shown on the 12th at Sony's conference right before the P.T. trailer. And I am glad it isn't too serious, MGS3 wouldn't have been nearly as good without the Bond-like cheese, codec conversations and items such as the crocodile mask, MGS without the silliness is like Michael Bay without the explosions.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
The box trailer was first shown on the 12th at Sony's conference right before the P.T. trailer. And I am glad it isn't too serious, MGS3 wouldn't have been nearly as good without the Bond-like cheese, codec conversations and items such as the crocodile mask, MGS without the silliness is like Michael Bay without the explosions.
Not a good comparison man. His movies suffer because he puts too much emphasis on dumb shit like explosions and other special effects. Barely any substance. I'd say that MGS without the silliness is like Christopher Nolan without the convoluted plot.
And I agree about MGS3. It was inspired by old Bond movies, even down to the theme song. It gave the game the necessary Cold War espionage atmosphere that would otherwise be lacking. Say what you want about Kojima, but he knows how to nail the atmosphere.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I remember calling his bluff back when he said that he wants to bring MGS5 on PC via a tweet.

He actually went ahead and convinced Konami to do it and for that I thank you Kojima-san!

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Nice Konami!
If it turns out as good as people are expecting it will, I guess I'll have to give it a look!
Just make sure to port it well, you hear?

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So would it be in bad taste to slip on my 'PC Gaming Master Race' underpants and do a silly dance in the faces of the dirty console peasants as their most beloved franchises flee the scorched earth desolation of the console wars to the green pastures of my integrated video card?