These High-Quality Gaming Tables Cost Quite A Few Gold Pieces

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
These High-Quality Gaming Tables Cost Quite A Few Gold Pieces

Roll a D20 to see if you can afford an RPG gaming table from Geek Chic.

One of the great benefits of tabletop RPGs compared to video games is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/columns/days-of-high-adventure/6817-Stop-Complaining-and-Make-Your-Own-Game>you really don't need any hardware requirements to get started. If you have some rules, dice, paper, and pencils, you could start a massive campaign anywhere that an entire group could enjoy - everything else is optional. That being said, anyone with a passion for RPGs and extra money to spend may want to spring for an especially sweet gaming tabletop. One that say, is gorgeously crafted, features built-in shelves for character sheets, and includes a removeable surface for setting up a recessed play area.

These gaming tables actually exist, and in a variety of models to boot. Designed by Geek Chic and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/paxeast2014/11292-All-About-Tabletop-Games-at-PAX-East-2014>showcased last PAX East, everything from the number of player stations, to wood type, to cup holders is customizable. The recessed surface even seems to let GMs setup two playing areas in advance, like say an overworld and dungeon, flipping from one to another when the time is right.

All well and good, but these tabletops don't come cheap. Each unit ranges anywhere from $2500 to $16000, which will absolutely cut into your supplement fund. On the other hand, if you happen to have a full RPG group willing to chip in? You might have a table that would last you for dozens of campaigns.

[gallery=3006]

Source: The Awesomeer, via <a href=http://geekologie.com/2014/08/dd-for-the-rich-beautifully-crafted-gami.php>Geekologie

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
It's bad enough when someone gets soda and pizza grease on your books/dice tower/minis. This would just take that to a whole new level.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Ratty said:
It's bad enough when someone gets soda and pizza grease on your books/dice tower/minis. This would just take that to a whole new level.
That's true, although I figure this would be much easier to clean.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
That's nice and all, but how well do the tears of fellow players dry out?

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
That table is gorgeous. I've got a tiny apartment, but I suppose I could live without a bed.

Zontar said:
That's nice and all, but how well do the tears of fellow players dry out?
I'm sure there is a runoff system that collects them in one of those little drawers.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
That's a really beautiful table. If my gaming group met up more than once every few months, I would think about getting one. Then again, I would need a place to put it first...

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
AdagioBoognish said:
That table is gorgeous. I've got a tiny apartment, but I suppose I could live without a bed.
I'm sure the table can double as a bed if you want...

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
The main snag I see with this as a business idea is that the kind of people who would want it are the kind of people who:

Fire up that version of DesignCAD '97 they just knew was still on an old hard disk somewhere. Having completed their own table design, rivalling the $12k offering, they find the C source code on the 'net for a plug-in which outputs the file into a format suitable for the 1983 SolidStateRouterMeister CNC machine that they got from Ebay a few years previously for $50 on an impulse purchase.

After compiling the plug-in in a DOS environment, it's off to the lumber yard in their Volvo 850T5 estate (wagon) and then, elephant disk clasped triumphantly in hand, proceed to machine their own flatpack version.

I've met these people. They build their own full-size pinball tables and flash old EPROMS they had lying about in the workshop to control the game logic before heading off for a quick group gaming session.

These people do not *buy* tables like this.

They *make* them. :)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'd rather just use the same amount of money to get a very nice pool table. Good old fashioned tables work just fine. :p

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Starting at $2500? I'll just stick with my plain ol' table then. I can buy a lot of snacks and booze for that money. Pretty sure I'd also enjoy them more than one of those tables.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Being the ridiculous person that I am, I desire one of these tables greatly. I've been wavering back and forth like a politician with a tax plan ever since I found out about the. DO I NEED a table that costs the GDP of a small nation? No. Do I want one? So very much.

small

Aug 5, 2014
actually my old group found a pool table that was covered worked extremely well for a large group

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
IndieForever said:
The main snag I see with this as a business idea is that the kind of people who would want it are the kind of people who:

Fire up that version of DesignCAD '97 they just knew was still on an old hard disk somewhere. Having completed their own table design, rivalling the $12k offering, they find the C source code on the 'net for a plug-in which outputs the file into a format suitable for the 1983 SolidStateRouterMeister CNC machine that they got from Ebay a few years previously for $50 on an impulse purchase.

After compiling the plug-in in a DOS environment, it's off to the lumber yard in their Volvo 850T5 estate (wagon) and then, elephant disk clasped triumphantly in hand, proceed to machine their own flatpack version.

I've met these people. They build their own full-size pinball tables and flash old EPROMS they had lying about in the workshop to control the game logic before heading off for a quick group gaming session.

These people do not *buy* tables like this.

They *make* them. :)
I am the target demographic for this. Expendable income, a love for finely crafted furniture and tabletop rpgs, and a laziness beyond compare :p