Petition Circulating to Name Legend of Zelda NPC After Robin Williams

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Petition Circulating to Name Legend of Zelda NPC After Robin Williams

The petition, on Change.org, is at just under 70,000 signatures as of this writing, with its end goal to see late actor and video game fan Robin Williams immortalized in one of his favorite series.

There has been an outpouring of grief following the tragic suicide of Robin Williams earlier this week, and many people have been seeking ways to memorialize the beloved comic and actor. One that's currently getting a lot of traction around the internet is a petition to name an NPC after Williams in an upcoming Legend of Zelda game, a series that was very dear to the actor.

The petition, currently at just under 70,000 signatures <a href=https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/nintendo-of-america-name-an-npc-in-the-new-legend-of-zelda-game-after-robin-williams?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=117425&alert_id=tvsLUsrAZb_L4tbU0onGIc%2FzGM0ReHe7nf3KAt5rHXNKKjk%2FvBVDPo%3D>on Change.org, was started by Nick Schaedel of Adelaide, Australia, and is directed to Nintendo of America. Schaedel writes:

Robin was an avid player of video games, with a love for all things Nintendo, and a particular love of all things Legend of Zelda. It is well-known that he named his daughter after the series' titular princess. Nintendo of America itself only recently hired him and his daughter to promote the franchise in a series of ads.

So, in a day where there aren't many words, what can we do? Well, there's a new Zelda game on the horizon. A bold reinvention, a fresh new open world adventure for Wii U. I would like to suggest that when the game is localised to English, Nintendo of America and the Treehouse name one of the characters "Robin" in his memory.

He won't get to play it, but he'll live on forever in a universe he always loved.

The petition is a sincere and heartfelt gesture, but it should be noted that signing it doesn't guarantee Nintendo will take any action. Still, as Schaedel wrote, Williams and his daughter did star in <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgjHrrNVBks> a series of Nintendo commercials, so its not outside the realm of possibility for the company to honor Williams in this way if enough fans prove interested. And given that there's already <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136805-Blizzard-Will-Create-a-Robin-Williams-Tribute-Character>a similar petition to include Williams in World of Warcraft, we just might see him pop up to help Link in an upcoming quest.

You can sign the petition at the link below. Williams' death has been dominating headlines recently, and our own site has been no different. Williams' wife recently revealed that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136770-Robin-Williams-Dead-From-Suspected-Suicide>her husband was suffering from Parkinson's Disease at the time of his death, and Zelda Williams herself has unfortunately been <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136844-Robin-Williams-Daughter-Leaves-Twitter-Maybe-Forever-Following-Online-Abuse>forced off Twitter as a result of soulless internet trolls.

Source: <a href=https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/nintendo-of-america-name-an-npc-in-the-new-legend-of-zelda-game-after-robin-williams?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=117425&alert_id=tvsLUsrAZb_L4tbU0onGIc%2FzGM0ReHe7nf3KAt5rHXNKKjk%2FvBVDPo%3D>Change.org via <a href=http://paranerds.com/?p=15993>Paranerds.com

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Golly, I look forward to people saying that any potential positive feedback from Nintendo concerning this is just shilling and marketing, how horrible they are.

But seriously, while I haven't seen a lot of his stuff Robin Williams was an incredibly funny comedian and obviously had a massive impact on... many modern things, let's say. If companies feel comfortable creating a tribute to him, all power to them, if anybody earned it it was him.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Yeah, I think I'll sign it. If he loved the games so much, it seems only fair for them to remember him somehow...

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Honestly what's to stop them from doing so? They don't need to go all out and make a side quest or unique character model or anything. All they would have to do is take a NPC rename him and maybe even put in a little flavor text and call it a day.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I loved Robin Williams, so I am all for this. But I hope that people don't get all up in arms if Nintendo refuses to do so for whatever reason. But if they're willing to name a pink blob after a lawyer that won them millions, then why not?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I remember seeing Addion saying to make him the next iteration of the King of Hyrule, and I say go for that. Hell, add it in as a DLC character for Hyrule Warriors and I'll buy that day one.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
I loved Robin Williams, so I am all for this. But I hope that people don't get all up in arms if Nintendo refuses to do so for whatever reason. But if they're willing to name a pink blob after a lawyer that won them millions, then why not?
or WORSE; they turn him into Tingle! Believe it or not I think Robin Williams is the only thing that would have made Tingle bearable.

That OR they could make him like Navi, or that guy that sells mask, or a special Po collector, or a teacher, or a priest, or alien, or a robot, or... wow this guy had a serious filmography.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Of course I signed it...

He named his daughter after Princess Zelda. It's time to return the favor, Nintendo

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
I say they make him the Mayor of Kakariko Village. And honestly this wouldn't be the first time his likeness has been used in videogames. Final Fantasy 8's Cid looked exactly like him.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Imagine if they were already planning to name a character Robin. Jackpot for everybody involved.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I've signed it. I loved Robin Williams' portrayal of the Genie in Disney's Aladdin, so much so that it is my favorite animated movie of all time. I hope, if nothing else, Nintendo will at least comment on the petition and their thoughts on Mr. Williams passing.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I see no reason not to do this, heck just calling a character 'Robin' isn't all that different than a lot of LoZ names. It would be a nice little tribute.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Hectix777 said:
or WORSE; they turn him into Tingle! Believe it or not I think Robin Williams is the only thing that would have made Tingle bearable.
This makes FAR too much sense. I can practically hear his full-manic standup style doing Tingle's dialogue.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Neronium said:
I remember seeing Addion saying to make him the next iteration of the King of Hyrule, and I say go for that. Hell, add it in as a DLC character for Hyrule Warriors and I'll buy that day one.
If they named the next iteration of the King of Hyrule Robin what a way to be remembered. Heck why not a DLC character? I mean Nintendo is slowly opening up to the idea of DLC. An original playable character with comic based attacks just for kicks? I'd buy that. Hell its not one of his better movies but have the character used "magically enhanced" green slime for a weapon and have it basically act like Flubber.

Either way it would be a good move for Nintendo. Besides I'd say its highly likely they would. Especially after those ads he made with Zelda.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Neronium said:
Yep, profiteering from dead people is a very moral thing to do...Nope, sorry, it's immoral.

These petitions are stupid and just another example why us internet users think we're entitled to higher privileges than the game creators themselves. Also why we think money will get us what we want.

No respect whatsoever to anyone.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm perfectly fine with a Robin Williams tribute in the next Zelda. The man did love those games so much he named his only child after Zelda, so it wouldn't hurt anyone if Nintendo returned the honor.

But, eh, shouldn't Williams' family get a say in this? The way I see it, the guy who started this petition should have contacted the family first, asked if they would be on board with this idea and then approached Nintendo. And not mere days after the man's death. Give the people who are actually personally involved with his passing time to grieve in peace.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It's quite sad when Blizzard actually are making an NPC in WoW for Robin Williams as a tribute and Nintendo have to be persuaded via a petition to do it.