Remembering Robin Williams Through Movies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Remembering Robin Williams Through Movies

Robin Williams has had plenty of memorable roles over the years, but these were some of his finest.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
No Bicentennial Man? It was syrupy and not a great script, but for some reason I remember enjoying it.

Also, be careful what you say about Hook, Bob. Ruffio is watching.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Aw come on, still no Fisher King. That movie gets ignored way too much.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I freaking love Baron Munchausen, although I love most low budget fantasy films that use extensive puppet props, elaborate sets and embellished make-up work, e.g. Labyrinth.

Theres an idea for a future list Bob, if you're into that sort of thing.

OT: I havn't actually watched most of these films although I hear many are very good, imma check to see if any are on Netflix later me'thinks.

Also, I just realized that people who have never seen Patch Adams may have the same idea as me and give it a try...

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
...WHY DID NO ONE THINK OF MAKING HIM THE RIDDLER!

aaaaaah! Thanks Bob, now I have to deal with this on top of knowing his last movie will be Night at the museum 3.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
My favorite movies starring Robin Williams are Aladdin, Dead Poets Society, and What Dreams May Come... I seem to enjoy his more dramatic roles. One of these days I should give Good Will Hunting a try...

Also seeing the summary for his last movie? ...Yeesh, talk about awkward... bet it'll be hard to watch that movie now without cringing. (Also What Dreams May Come won't be easy to watch after this... damnit...)

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
el_emmens said:
...WHY DID NO ONE THINK OF MAKING HIM THE RIDDLER!

aaaaaah! Thanks Bob, now I have to deal with this on top of knowing his last movie will be Night at the museum 3.
I think Robin Williams was considered to be the Riddler during the making of Batman Forever, but they ultimately chose Jim Carrey.

He also tried to get the part of the Joker in the first Batman movie.

Now THAT would've been interesting.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I still think one of my favorite Robin Williams performances is from the season 2 premier of Homicide: Life on the Street where he plays a father vacationing in Baltimore with his wife and children when his wife is murdered in a robbery gone wrong. This was 1993-1994 so just after his more family friendly movies and it was a real shock to see him taking on such a serious and dour role. Out of all the celebrity appearances in that show, I think his was the best, just watch for yourself.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I think it is truly amazing at how much of an outpouring there's been for the man. Christopher Titus, one of my favorite comedians, said Williams was the whole reason he got into standup and was floored when he finally met the guy who merely said "Settle down Chris, I'm just like you" (Titus disagreed). Then there's Jessica Chastain saying that Williams sponsoring a Julliard scholarship let her be the first person in her family to get a degree, Ben Affleck going as far to say he and Matt Damon owed everything to Williams since if he hadn't signed up for Good Will Hunting they never would have earned their fame. It's just amazing at how charitable and generous he was, earning him real respect and admiration from so many people. You don't see guys like that often and it's a shame he left.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I grew up with the man. He defined my childhood as well as my adult life. It was truly special to graduate from his family-friendly movies like Aladdin, Flubber, Jumanji, and Hook, to his adult movies like Good Will Hunting, Patch Adams, Fisher King, and What Dreams May Come.

What can I say? The man made me laugh and cry and, even if I never met him, he made my life a happier, funnier place. We all wished we could tell him "thank you" for that.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
I'm glad Bob included One Hour Photo. Such a creepy turn by Williams that really showed his range. My wife and I still will say, "You're acting like Syd!" whenever either of us say something weird.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
One Hour Photo is just too dark and Insomnia is his best movie by far. What makes both of these films interesting is that it is clear that he was inserting his own struggles into the personality of his psychologically damaged characters.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Netflix has the single greatest review of One Hour Photo on it. It's a 1-star review that only says, "I'm sorry I wasted 30 min watching this mess. It was sooo creepy I couldn't any more." If that's not a glowing recommendation, I don't know what is.

CrazyGirl17 said:
(Also What Dreams May Come won't be easy to watch after this... damnit...)
Yeah, when my friend's and I got together to watch some Robin Williams movies, I chose What Dreams May Come, which I hadn't seen in 12 years and was the only one that had. I remembered Robin Williams pulling his wife out of hell....but not why she was there. Needless to say, things got super awkward and I was rightfully ridiculed.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Okay, I see why you hesitated on that World's Greatest Dad, too... eesh... Robin Williams' death feels like the floodgate that suddenly let loose all sorts of other misery upon the world. I'm not saying that to be disrespectful, it just feels like it was the first bit of bad news which was then followed by the entire situation in Ferguson, which just got worse and worse, so, it feels to me like Robin took a lot of the joy that kept people happy with him...

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Toys is never going to show up on a 'Best of' list of his movies, but there was an epitaph on William's character's father's tombstone which I'll forever associate with him.

"Let Joy and Innocence Prevail"

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Good Will Hunting? I know we can't bring up every movie but he got an Academy Award and Screen Actors Guild Award for his role in that and it's a true classic in its own right. This happens to be the only Oscar he ever received. Williams actually had a long history of nominations with comparatively few awards considering the volume of great work he did.

Here's his oscar speech for it. One of the best speeches the Oscars have seen.
<youtube=q6Egi5V_jNU>

Patch Adams most likely should have gotten a nod too.

What Dreams May Come always stuck with me. Vivid and dark, quite a contrast. One of my first thoughts was how much sadder he made this movie to watch. Man has done some major films with suicide as a theme. I also really enjoyed Bicentennial Man though I know that wasn't as popular as it could have been. Jumanji was a great role for him too.

Why the Law and Order episode? Doesn't really qualify as a movie... though it was the last thing he got an award in (I wonder if he was feeling irrelevant after having been nominated for so many things since then without recognition for the work).

Jack is one of the first movies I remember being sad when watching. Probably the first time I remember saying that he's an amazing actor.

You know, I've seen a lot of major actors die, it happens as it must happen to all. I thought "that's really sad" when I heard this news and moved along. But for some reason, the reality of Robin's death keeps coming back to me. I'm actually truly saddened that he's dead rather than just vaguely sentimental about a lost legend. I don't mean I'm mourning or anything so intimate. But my heart is heavy for the loss and that's not common for me with people I haven't personally met. Strange on face value, but I think we all realize that this man brought the world a lot of happiness.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Thank you for mentioning one of my favorites with One hour Photo and Death to Smochy. Toys is the one I still think as his best. Was the first movie I really got attached to. First movie I had the soundtrack to. The man's best things are things people don't tend to know about. What Dreams May Come being the perfect movie that all of the family. The Final Cut being one that still feels like a cathartic release for Williams, that I still love since it has this eerie feel of what may be. It feels like if you made a movie about an editor, and a bit sad there isn't more movies like that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fun fact, the SVU episode is based off a real event.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_prank_call_scam

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Furbyz said:
Yeah, when my friend's and I got together to watch some Robin Williams movies, I chose What Dreams May Come, which I hadn't seen in 12 years and was the only one that had. I remembered Robin Williams pulling his wife out of hell....but not why she was there. Needless to say, things got super awkward and I was rightfully ridiculed.
She commits suicide and he goes threw hell to reach her. Rather then stay in heaven alone, choices to be in hell with her.