Will Microsoft Sell Xbox Entertainment Studios to Warner Bros?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Will Microsoft Sell Xbox Entertainment Studios to Warner Bros?

A conversation is just that, says Warners.

It's far from a done deal, but Microsoft is trying to find a buyer for its Xbox Entertainment Studios [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136224-Microsoft-Shuts-Down-Xbox-Entertainment-Studios-Xbox-Originals], and the first potential purchaser is Warner Bros. If this deal goes forward, the most likely result is that the Studio will merge with Warner's Machinima YouTube channel.

Warner Bros [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136189-Rupert-Murdoch-Tries-to-Buy-Time-Warner-HBO-for-80-Billion-Update]' spokeswoman was careful to say that it is "constantly having preliminary discussions regarding business opportunities with numerous companies at any given time. A conversation is just that - a conversation." The talks are in very early stages, and there's no guarantee an agreement will be reached.

However the news is a shot in the arm for Xbox Entertainment Studios inasmuch as, without a buyer, it will cease to exist. It still has a few projects in the pipeline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/11965-Ridley-Scott-s-Halo-Nightfall-Leads-Directly-Into-Halo-5-Guardia], but when Phil Spencer first made his 'change is never easy' announcement, closure was the only option for XES.

The deal would also be good for Machinima, which would gain the infrastructure it needs for big budget projects. It has worked with Xbox before, on the Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6043-Halo-4-Forward-Unto-Dawn-Trailer] series.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/xbox-shops-entertainment-studio-warner-725562]

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Oh just the new film studio they started in 2012, I saw the Xbox in the title and thought Microsoft were selling there game software division to Warner.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I cant imagine why WBros would want to become a first party publisher.

All that delicious money that the Arkham series has been making? Probably wouldnt even see half of it if it were just on Xbox.

No wait, its just the stillborn TV studio.

Well if anyone actually wants that... Why would anyone want that?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
While you are at it, MS, sell off your entire XBox division, your tablet division and the Windows Phone division and focus purely on selling your OS and Office.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well?it's like David Cross once said in one of his stand-ups?. It's like moving to a fry pan to another fry pan.

Then again, Microsoft did shot itself in the foot to begin with.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Even though this was just a conversation, and probably won't go any further then that for at least the rest of this year, I have a bad feeling that the XBox brand is going to be scrapped entirely by the end of this Generation.

Still, if Warner Bros. did acquire the core Xbox Games, like Halo and Gears of War, I'm sure they could do amazing things with them (Better things then Microsoft are doing with them). And maybe they can actually make a decent Banjo-Kazooie Platformer for WiiU/PS4...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Even though this was just a conversation, and probably won't go any further then that for at least the rest of this year, I have a bad feeling that the XBox brand is going to be scrapped entirely by the end of this Generation.

Still, if Warner Bros. did acquire the core Xbox Games, like Halo and Gears of War, I'm sure they could do amazing things with them (Better things then Microsoft are doing with them). And maybe they can actually make a decent Banjo-Kazooie Platformer for WiiU/PS4...
This wasn't about games. It was about the studio they created to do their TV for Xbone.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
If they actually do the deal, I think that it could be a mutually good thing for both, especially for Warner Bros.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, Microsoft is selling somebody else the right to bang their head against a wall all day? I wouldn't do it, WB!

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, SPORTS, TV, WATERCOOLER, TV, SPORTS, TV.

It will be funny if Microsoft can't find anyone to pick up the entertainment division.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I really don't understand how this all went south so quickly. I was vaguely wondering if they'd actually broadcast any programs before tanking. Thankfully we have wikipedia...

A Documentary about Street Soccer.
A Documentary about Atari.
Miss Teen USA - joint broadcast XES and YouTube.

Hugely expensive series based on Halo.

Hmm, I think I see the problem here.