Sony Not Planning on Doing Too Many Remaster Ports

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Sony Not Planning on Doing Too Many Remaster Ports

Sony will only be porting over previous generation games to the PS4 when it "makes sense."

"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that." This was a statement made by Jim Ryan, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in response to a question about the success of The Last Of Us Remastered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12007-The-Last-of-Us-Remastered-Review-A-Very-Pretty-Apocalypse] and what that means for more games making their way to the PlayStation 4 in the future.

"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense," going on to explain that The Last of Us was a smart move given its extremely high Metacritic scores. Furthermore, Sony now has a new demographic of PlayStation 4 owners who previously only owned a competitor platform and thus weren't able to experience The Last of Us on the PlayStation 3.

That said, "I think the balance is just about right but you know, there are other games that could be looked at, but there'll come a point where next gen will have moved on and rehashing old-gen will have passed its sell-by date."

The Rise Of The Tomb Raider's timed exclusive [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474307/interviews/sonys-jim-ryan-interview-we-dont-need-to-buy-exclusivity/]. "So do we feel the need to go out and buy outright exclusivity? Probably not... we showed updated videos of games that we had revealed at E3. That's because we wanted to keep the [Gamescom press] show itself full of new, fresh things. We think that gave us a good, strong, convincing portfolio of exclusive stuff and we're happy with that."

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dont-expect-to-see-too-many-more-ps4-hd-remasters-/1100-6421766/]

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
"We won't do too many...just lots."

Give me a remastered Spyro the Dragon then!

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense," Translation: "Does it make us a metric fuck ton of money? Yes? Re-release it!"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only one I really want from you now, Sony, is an inFAMOUS 1 and 2 Remaster. That's really all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that."

I think they're a little late on that. This gen really does look rehashed so far.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Aslong as they are able to produce quality new stuff i don't mind this. It's still a bit odd to see this trend and not having a reason to buy a new console. The games i want now are going to be released in 1-2years. Ok this isn't quite right, ironically it's gta5 which could make me buy a ps4.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
So does this mean the vita's getting nothing now at all ;p

Also ya playstation is getting a remastered port of Akiba's trip so ya I say they are still doing a lot.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
The only one I really want from you now, Sony, is an inFAMOUS 1 and 2 Remaster. That's really all.
+ MGS4.

Then I will consider it worth buying a PS4.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Sony: We just couldn't invest the time and money in making the PS4 backwards-compatible with PS3 games, but taking the time and money to re-release individual PS3 games? That we can do!

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen."

Too late for that. The only one who has changed from last Generation is Nintendo... and while I like them, they're really just playing "catch-up" in that regard. Granted, they're the ones who are most interesting at the moment, but they also had a year head start (which they mostly wasted).

"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense"

This didn't make sense because it only just came out in the past year. Re-porting it and charging full price (good or not) is still a rip off. I get GTA because it's still getting lots of online support and new modes (though I still don't LIKE the idea). Though it makes MORE sense for Sony to re-release crap over Square Enix, which is just re-releasing things they already said didn't sell well during their initial launch for the new consoles... expect something to somehow be different when cheaper copies for older consoles exist and are still just as good.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
DaxStrife said:
Sony: We just couldn't invest the time and money in making the PS4 backwards-compatible with PS3 games, but taking the time and money to re-release individual PS3 games? That we can do!
inb4: BUT THEY COULDN'T DO IT!

The problem is they couldn't do it because the technology in the PS3 and the PS4 aren't compatible to pull that off. Don't get me wrong, I completely 100% agree with you that the PS4 (from where I'm sitting) is an abysmal failure in terms of what the device could actually be capable of (not sales) all because Sony insisted on the technology they used for the PS3... which is what caused that system to be overpriced and have an internal architecture that still hasn't been fully utilized. I like the PS3, but the choices they made with that system are now biting them in the ass (again) with the PS4, making it a system that, overall, does less and has kept me from buying it simply because I can't keep playing my PS3, PS2, and PS1 games like I can on my current PS3.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The Last of Us re-release makes sense as there were a lot of people, myself included, who didn't have a PS3 but have a PS4. Given the praise and acclaim the game received, I can see why they would make the choice they did. But the proof will be in the pudding as to whether they will keep being picky about what they re-release moving forward. I'd say it will really all come down to how well the Last of Us re-release sells. If it turns out to be very financially viable, I can easily see their principles relaxing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
josemlopes said:
Lets see them re-releasing Lair.
On a more serious note, lets see them release a version of Killzone 2 that actually looks like the trailer.

Maybe they can even include that sequence in it this time too.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
DaxStrife said:
Making the PS4 BC is easy it's just no one would pay $700 for a BC PS4 just like no one bought a BC PS3 they waited till it was removed and the console was cheaper.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
SilverUchiha said:
"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen."

Too late for that. The only one who has changed from last Generation is Nintendo... and while I like them, they're really just playing "catch-up" in that regard. Granted, they're the ones who are most interesting at the moment, but they also had a year head start (which they mostly wasted).

"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense"

This didn't make sense because it only just came out in the past year. Re-porting it and charging full price (good or not) is still a rip off. I get GTA because it's still getting lots of online support and new modes (though I still don't LIKE the idea). Though it makes MORE sense for Sony to re-release crap over Square Enix, which is just re-releasing things they already said didn't sell well during their initial launch for the new consoles... expect something to somehow be different when cheaper copies for older consoles exist and are still just as good.
Nintendo has changed?

new 2D Mario check
new 3D Mario check
new wii sports check
new wii fit check
new Mario kart check
new smash bros check

lots of new ideas there.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
AndrewC said:
"We won't do too many...just lots."

Give me a remastered Spyro the Dragon then!
First post, and already someone has the right idea. Just remaster the original three (trilogy?) games. He was basically your damn mascot for nearly a decade Sony, show him some love! Get him out of pay-to-win-ville for a bit!