Beat Downs, Metal Pipes and the Brawler

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Beat Downs, Metal Pipes and the Brawler

What happened to the Brawler? Was it the last resting place of button mashing co-op aggression?

Read Full Article

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
This article makes me miss all of the co-op fun I had with the Gauntlet games and the Ninja Turtles games. I miss it so much.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh my God, you wonderful person you. I was thinking the same thing. After having played Bully, I wonder why there can't be more games where you primary form of attack is punching and kicking. Like a cop-drama where you have to beat up hoodlums.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Aww...no mention of God Hand? That game alone was more than enough to make up for the genre's lack of prominence in the past decade!

*goes back to Streets of Rage 2 on Virtual Console*

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Aww...no mention of God Hand? That game alone was more than enough to make up for the genre's lack of prominence in the past decade!
This [http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/1/11/Ggodhand_original.jpg] is all you need to know about God Hand.

Now that the nonsense is there and everything I say afterwards will be tainted by it, I must say that brawler games are best in arcades. When I play something like Ninja Turtles or Streets of Rage, not having any continues makes the game more dramatic because there is the feeling that you can't simply try over again if you loose. While not everyone will agree with me, I think that these kinds of games didn't do as well on consoles because part of the fun was imagining your quarters as part of your health bar.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
I loved playing beat 'em up games. They so much fun and entertaining with friends. I enjoyed Streets of Rage 2 with my boyfriend. So happy he showed that to me. They should come out with new ones or re-vamp 'em like the article stated. And not in SWAT outfits. Fuck that. I wanna kick ass in skinny jeans and a band tee, kthx.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Pretty narrow definition of the genre, eh? What does it matter what your character uses to beat people up?

Zeno Clash was probably as close as you're going to get to the mostly-fists-and-occasional-weapons type of brawler but really, all that matters is that it's melee PvE.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
The melle based stuff in Champions is proving to be quite fun. They have made it so you can rip telephone poles out the ground and swing them etc... more fun than City of Heroes was in that respect.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Another interesting correlation regarding Segal is the number of movies vs brawler games.

When brawler games were popular and numerous- 1987 and 1992: Segal only stars in 5 Movies

When few brawler games are being made- 2004 and 2009: Segal stars in a whopping 15 Movies.

rs2000

Apr 16, 2009
Does anyone remember a game on the Genesis called Two Crude Dudes? i loved that game so much!

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
There is one Brawler who ruled them all. Aliens vs Predator. A careful combination of simple combos, dramatic levels, and awesome graphics. With practice, you could master the entire game, but by that time they already had more than enough cash from you. Watch these guys,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8gz5oQzops

With a little bit of Googling, you can find it and download it easily enough.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Another thing that may have been the end to the brawler was the beginning of the 3D game scene. Wolfenstein was released in 1992 with Doom following a year or so later, right when the brawlers seemed to fall off the face of the planet. Maybe just a coincidence..

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
First of all the fact that you didn't even reference GOD HAND in an article about brawlers is a gaming crime and you need to be ashamed.
At the end of your article you mentioned modern action games like Devil May Cry. Well brawlers, like all genres of gaming, had to grow up. Nobody wants to sit there and mash the same two buttons over and over again anymore. Modern brawlers have complex and rewarding combat systems and that's just how it is.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
I've had no problems finding fun brawlers since the mega drive days. Nowadays if I get itchy fists, I just play Streets Of Rage Remake.

That game is great fun, even with its little problems because of it being unfinished (currently on v.4.01b).
V.5 looks like its going to be awesome.(v4 has about 40% amount of content that v5 has) ^_^

tendo82

Nov 30, 2007
Armitage Shanks said:
Another interesting correlation regarding Segal is the number of movies vs brawler games.

When brawler games were popular and numerous- 1987 and 1992: Segal only stars in 5 Movies

When few brawler games are being made- 2004 and 2009: Segal stars in a whopping 15 Movies.
This is true, but direct to video releases stretch the definition of the term movie.

tendo82

Nov 30, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
There is one Brawler who ruled them all. Aliens vs Predator. A careful combination of simple combos, dramatic levels, and awesome graphics. With practice, you could master the entire game, but by that time they already had more than enough cash from you. Watch these guys,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8gz5oQzops

With a little bit of Googling, you can find it and download it easily enough.
I was talking about this game with someone at the office. Best Alien/Predator game period in my opinion. Leave it to Capcom.

tendo82

Nov 30, 2007
not a zaar said:
First of all the fact that you didn't even reference GOD HAND in an article about brawlers is a gaming crime and you need to be ashamed.
At the end of your article you mentioned modern action games like Devil May Cry. Well brawlers, like all genres of gaming, had to grow up. Nobody wants to sit there and mash the same two buttons over and over again anymore. Modern brawlers have complex and rewarding combat systems and that's just how it is.
I thought about referencing God Hand directly, but included this statement to cover off on it, "Ex-Clover employees will have some crazy take on it from time to time"

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
tendo82 said:
Armitage Shanks said:
This is true, but direct to video releases stretch the definition of the term movie.
Fair point, though according to Segal himself, he can apparently only do crappy direct to video movies because the FBI tainted his career with an investigation.