Xbox One's August Update Now Live

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Xbox One's August Update Now Live

Microsoft has infused the Xbox One with numerous new features through a software update now available for download.

The latest monthly update for Microsoft's Xbox One went live late last night, and brings new features to the console that are aimed at making player's experiences easier to enjoy and more social. Users should be prompted to download the software when they turn on or restart their boxes.

The new features included in the August update are ones previously requested by players and are meant to give the Xbox One a competitive edge against Sony's PlayStation 4. A major addition is the ability of mobile purchasing, which has been offered in PlayStation's app since its launch. Players can now use their phones to purchase games through either Xbox Xbox.com [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/smartglass]. When a game is purchased, the mobile app will turn on its designated console automatically and begin the download, making it ideal for people while away from their home or on the go.

Another addition is the inclusion of 3D Blu-ray playback- another feature that was only provided by PlayStation 4 until now. Xbox One's activity feed has also seen some upgrades, such as aesthetically friendly interface and the ability to share, like, and even text posts. Other minor new features include low-battery notifications for controllers, complete notification disablement during video playback, and exact times for when members of a player's friends list were last seen online.

Xbox's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb posted a video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZbYi_2aB_g] last night to coincide with the August update that gives a more detailed look at all its new features.

Own an Xbox One? Tell us what you think of the update in the comments.

Source: Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/18/xbox-ones-august-update-is-deploying-for-everyone/]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Other minor new features include low-battery notifications for controllers
That wasn't a standard feature at launch? Really? I know they were trying to push the Kinect but that seems like a bit of a silly oversight.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
That wasn't a standard feature at launch? Really? I know they were trying to push the Kinect but that seems like a bit of a silly oversight.
Not really, I wouldn't even be surprised if it were a design choice rather than an oversight. Even now, I'm not certain if I actually want a notification interrupting me, or if I'd rather leave it up to myself to glance at the battery life whenever I have the menu open.

I would assume that since launch they've had more feedback expressing a desire for the former, hence the change.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Such incredible additions.

I often find myself out and about wishing that I was able to buy an xbox game on my phone.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Jadak said:
Not really, I wouldn't even be surprised if it were a design choice rather than an oversight. Even now, I'm not certain if I actually want a notification interrupting me, or if I'd rather leave it up to myself to glance at the battery life whenever I have the menu open.

I would assume that since launch they've had more feedback expressing a desire for the former, hence the change.
i can second that. i remmeber low battery notifications on 360. they were very annoying, especially since they kept repeating ever so often but the batteries still held for weeks, so basically gaming with sudden uncalled interruptions.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
So a bunch of things the PS4 has had since inception? That is nice to see happening.

Jadak said:

That is why they give you the option of turning off notifications.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
The user interface is pathetic. They created it to be similar to Windows 8, and rushed the completion of it to compete with Sony's Playstation 4. A lot of wonderful features from the Xbox 360 are still missing almost a year after launch. I'm sure at some point it will be a good GUI, and it will probably be completely overhauled like they did the Xbox 360.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
I hate what they did to the 360. Seems like all they did was add advertisements (for a pay service, something PSN lacks for free last I checked) and lag. I still remember the original menu for the 360. Easy to navigate. Came up right when the system turned on.

At least now I can buy Xbone games on the go, finally. If only I wanted any.... Haven't touched it since Halo4 and BF4 ruined my desire to play console shooters. Being able to play Halo 2 again will have much needed nostalgia, but I have this fear 343 will screw it up somehow.