Destiny Launch Trailer Wants to Know What You Will Become

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Destiny Launch Trailer Wants to Know What You Will Become

The gameplay launch trailer for Destiny shows off combat across Earth, Mars, and Venus.

Activision and Bungie are gearing up for the launch of Destiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/destiny] with a gameplay trailer released today. The trailer shows Guardians defending Earth, Venus, and Mars while an unknown woman intones, "There are enemies out here you would not believe, but they've never seen anything like you. It doesn't matter who you are, only what you will become." Players in the MMO shooter defend the last bastion of humanity, a single remaining city on Earth. Destiny is currently available for pre-order for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Xbox 360, and is set for release on September 9, 2014.

Players on all four systems got a glimpse at the world of Destiny in the hands-on review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136400-Destiny-Beta-Now-Free-to-Download-Across-All-Consoles] from E3 2014.

Destiny also made our list of amazing games hitting the shelves in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12064-September-2014-Video-Game-Release-Schedule.2]. "While there have been some grumblings that Destiny looks to be just a next-gen Halo, after extensively playing both the alpha and the beta, something about it just hits all the right buttons for me," says The Escapist's own Paul Goodman. What do you think? Is Destiny on your must-play list?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Never heard of this game till now. Looks interesting...
Someone has been under a rock...

I'm hopeful this game lives up to the hype. I want this to be the next huge thing. Not a WoW killer, but something akin to what WoW was for MMOs.

Gaming needs a good shakeup.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Warframe meets Halo with 10-20 times the budget of the former.

Untill it's on PC though, I won't be getting it, even with how much as Warframe has disappointed me recently.

Captcha: I can fix it.
I highly doubt it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Charcharo said:
Can someone please explain to me what passes of as so incredibly "ambitious" in this game? I have heard the most ambitious game ever... Besides the budjet that is...
I fail to see it.

And yes. I do strongly believe I have seen more ambitious games before.
I think running a Borderlands-like game on a pseudo-MMO scale is pretty ambitious, although more ambitious than WoW, EVE Online and Crysis? Perhaps not.

Having said that, it's astounding how much money Activision have poured into this, if the reported half a billion dollars is true then Activision could be setting themselves up for an Old Republic style fall. Of course if it goes the way Activision are hoping it could become console-land's answer to TF2, which certainly wouldn't hurt. I'm still not sure how this game is supposed to make money after the initial sale.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Charcharo said:
STALKER tried doing an open world tactical horror, pseudo realistic, real world environmnet, AI dependand world 13 years ago. On a 50 times smaller budget. With mod support.
Very true, I remember the release too and maybe they were a bit too ambitious with that one! Having said that, I still have my SoC dvd in my collection seven years later, so maybe the ambition paid off.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow, they used a quote from this site? (No offence.)

It's time like these I should considering getting a console.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
After the Beta, I can definitely say this game will be good. That said, Bungie is ABSOLUTELY NOTORIOUS for over-hyping their games, leaving many gamers feeling like "This game is sooo good! I am disappointed". So, to anyone looking forward to Destiny, I have to say two things:
1- It's not as good as you think.
2- See you on launch day.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
MarlaDesat said:
"This is the last time we'll ask you to part with your hero," says Bungie community manager David "DeeJ" Dague.
Well that is a lie, when they shut down the game's servers in 10 or so years time and since this is basically a MMO that will kill the game dead. Yeah no thanks Bungi, I have no interest in your always online game. Diablo and Sim City have taught me well.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
This community and it's negativity fetish... You know what? I'm hype, I'm buying the PS4+destiny bundle pack on amazon and paying for it to show up at my door on day one. That's right, I'm preordering a AAA game on console. Come at me hatebros.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Dang, I was going to buy the PS4 bundle pack but not any more now that I found out it is a MMO. Looks I still do not have a reason to buy a next gen console. :(