Review: DC Superheroes Tread Water in The Multiversity #1

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Review: DC Superheroes Tread Water in The Multiversity #1

President Superman and Captain Carrot fighting "Doctor Doom" and pan-dimensional monsters would be amazing. Too bad that didn't happen in The Multiversity #1.

Read Full Article

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
GamerMage said:
Well...this series sounds interesting. How long do you think it'll be before it's cancelled? ...Why yes, I AM a little bitter, why do you ask? /sarcasm I'm not that big of a DC comics buyer, or for that matter, most mainstream comics. But I have admittedly bought comics from DC. (Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and Dial H) But when I start liking them, what happens shortly after? It gets cancelled!
Even better is when they start with something good and people take a liking to it. Then higher ups decide that the people who like it aren't the people they want liking it and force the comics to go in a completely different direction. Then when people lose interest its obviously because no one wanted them to succeed in the first place so reboot the fuck out of it.

Whatever, I'm terrible and I'll still probably pick these up. I'm still buying Teen Titans comics even after they've shat all over everything and continue shitting all over it.

thebludragonwarrior

Jun 6, 2014
GamerMage said:
Well...this series sounds interesting. How long do you think it'll be before it's cancelled? ...Why yes, I AM a little bitter, why do you ask? /sarcasm I'm not that big of a DC comics buyer, or for that matter, most mainstream comics. But I have admittedly bought comics from DC. (Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and Dial H) But when I start liking them, what happens shortly after? It gets cancelled!
It's a miniseries written by one of the most influential writers in comics today so I highly doubt it's going to be cancelled.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Maybe I don't understand comics that well, I have only started reading them in the last few months but maybe series should not go for so long. I am pretty sure the Frankenstein story got three volumes which should have been enough time to tell a full story. I know the big guns will keep getting stories because of money but every time they stop one series they add a new one and they are rarely just more Batman or Superman. In fact Batman and Superman stories have been ended too. I may actually pick up an issue of the Multiversity instead of waiting for it be put into a trade paper back. It looks fun.

Though I have to admit every time I hear the name I seem to imagine a university with super heroes and they I picture the community show in a comic book for some crazy reason. Though I would pay for that.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
This was a very fun Issue, Morrison madness is sweet! Art was delectable.

I love the map of the multiverse, I only just caught on Destiny of the Endless was at the top :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Did they do anything with Wildstorm in there? I'm mostly asking because I liked that universe (all weirdness and comedy included) and then in the middle of their whole post-apocalyptic turn (which was different) they decided to just drop the whole imprint and brought some of the more popular (or ones they wanted to be popular) characters into the main DC continuity.

In part I wonder about that also because once comics start to go too "high concept" it's usually a bad sign. I think Wildstorm got cancelled in part because it went over too many people's heads (well that and they couldn't keep any decent, consistent, writers for titles like "The Authority"), I remember how Marvel started out using "Excalibur" as a way to do weirder stuff (highly multi-dimensional as well) and then turned it into a more normal "X-book" when that seemed to go over most people's heads. Then of course Marvel had "Exiles" which seems similar to this on a lot of levels, but while it had a good run, I believe that ended years ago.

I am also sort of wondering if "President Superman" is going to wind up being a bad guy in the long run. Given the PC ethnicity swap I'm guessing 'no', but it occurs to me that Lex Luthor had a run as President, and now we've apparently got Lex leading The Justice League (as this liked to). It makes me think if there is going to be a sort of "mirror effect" here in the long run. But then again that's partially because if DC is deciding to drag out some of the weirder things they have running around, they already have at least one outright good version of Lex (just using the name "Luthor") who is the arch-enemy of the Crime Syndicate Of America, and I figure there would probably be parallel version of him out there and so on, so to me it makes a certain amount of sense if they have "President Superman" he would probably just seem like a good guy (and play the role) like Lex did, perhaps being recruited by mistake, and wind up needing to be opposed by Luthor... which could then eventually fold into the current JLA storyline, since the "Real" Lex is inevitably going to go back to being a villain, but this opens the door for a good version to be in publication as a team leader if the idea proves popular.

Just an odd thought, as it just seems very "Un-Superman" to take a direct position of world leadership like that given that he's made a point about why he *won't* do things like that in the past. The realities of politics and such mean that this guy is likely not going to be the paragon of virtue that Kal-El is.

That said I'm probably overthinking things, they probably just wanted a canon black version of Superman (as in an actual empowered Kryptonian as opposed to Steel who is basically DC's version of Iron Man). I also wouldn't be surprised if Will Smith tries hard to get a movie version of it made, because allegedly he wanted to play Superman years ago, but couldn't sell people on the idea, so he made "Hancock" instead.