Diablo III's Massive Patch 2.1 Releases Tomorrow - Finally Adds a Ladder Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III's Massive Patch 2.1 Releases Tomorrow - Finally Adds a Ladder Mode

Diablo III's 2.1 patch is its biggest free update ever, adding a plethora of new game modes, items, class balances, and zones.

One thing that Diablo III fans have been asking Blizzard for since pretty much the game was released, was a variation of Diablo II's "ladder mode" - where players could create fresh, level 1 characters, and race to progress them as far as possible within a short amount of time. Tomorrow, those fans will finally get their wish, as the game's massive 2.1 patch will launch, bringing with it the "Seasons" game mode (which is essentially ladder mode) as well as a wealth of additional changes and additions.

It is worth noting that Blizzard did state that while all the Seasons infrastructure will launch with 2.1, the first Season won't actually start until a few days later.

Along with Seasons, the second major addition in 2.1 is "Greater Rifts". Unlike the regular Nephalem Rifts which were introduced in Reaper of Souls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132588-Diablo-III-Dev-Adventure-Mode-is-Worth-The-40-Price-Tag], greater rifts are a kind of "endless dungeon" that should give even the most dedicated Diablo players a substantial challenge. Each rift has a time limit, and if you manage to complete it within said limit, you'll get a key to an increasingly difficult higher level rift.

The spoils of running Greater Rifts in lieu of regular Nephalem Rifts are legendary gems - powerful gems with unique affixes, that you can actually upgrade as you progress through each Greater Rift level.

Two new zones: The Cesspools and The Vault (where you can finally fight the leader of those annoying treasure goblins: Greed), dozens of class balance changes, and plenty of minor quality of life improvements round out the game's biggest free update since launch.

Check out the Diablo Fans [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14569138/patch-210-ptr-patch-notes-updated-august-13-8-13-2014] for more information. Its not known when (or if) all of these changes will make it to the console versions of the game.

And before you ask, no, the always-online requirement has not been removed, and most likely never will.

Source: Diablo Fans [http://www.diablofans.com/news/48184-2-1-releases-tomorrow-patch-2-1-roundup]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
And before you ask, no, the always-online requirement has not been removed, and most likely never will.
This is why the console version of the game is the superior version of the game. Local coop and no online requirement. Imagine.... Blizzard gets attacked by someone with a huge DDoS attack... and I can still play the game with my friends right next to me on my PS4.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
OMG STEVEN BUT IS THERE GOING TO BE OFF-L
Steven Bogos said:
DAMN IT

CURSE YOU FOR YOUR POWERS OF PRECOGNITION, YOU EVIL WIZARD. PRAY THAT THINE TOWER IS TALL ENOUGH TO EVADE MY ETERNAL QUEST TO SCALE IT FOR NAUGHT BUT YOUR ETERNAL DAMNATION, FIEND!

OT:
Cool shit, yo. I'll be playing it when I'm not playing the WoD beta, I shupposhe.

Kind of surprised I found out through here and not through my client.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
No offline mode? Bored now. I guess Blizzard must hate PC gamers.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Blizzard doing great things for the game in free patches.

Every comment about no offline mode.

Yawn.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's funny how they almost promised it after they removed the online auction house and made a console version which didn't have it, but as soon as reaper of souls came out, their sales probably returned to the point where they stopped caring about it because it wasn't hurting them anymore.

funny all the way to the bank

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
It is rather funny how the game started as PC exclusive and Blizzard seems to "teasingly shun" the console version by saying "We "probably" won't bring this stuff to the consoles"...yet in every light the console version looks better and better. I've got it for my PS4 and me and my friends are having a great time. I just hope that Blizzard releases the next expansion (or game) on consoles right along with the PC version. Without giving away too big of a spoiler, suffice to say the ending to Reaper of Souls quite clearly leaves it open for another expansion, if not (and actually more likely) another game.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Baresark said:
This is why the console version of the game is the superior version of the game. Local coop and no online requirement.
Yup, guess the poor PC owners will just have to make do with having a better Loot System, having no Hackers and getting all their patches way before the console owners do. Clearly inferior compared to the console versions "usable by those too stupid to read system requirements" feature.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Aeshi said:
Baresark said:
This is why the console version of the game is the superior version of the game. Local coop and no online requirement.
Yup, guess the poor PC owners will just have to make do with having a better Loot System, having no Hackers and getting all their patches way before the console owners do. Clearly inferior compared to the console versions "usable by those too stupid to read system requirements" feature.
Not going to bother debating your preferences on the matter, but what is inferior about the loot system? I've been playing both versions and haven't noticed a difference.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Aeshi said:
Baresark said:
You would be surprised by how often they update on the console. Way more often than any other game I have ever seen on the console. I have not ever cared about "hackers". I don't lose my shit just because someone has decided to ruin their own play experience, they can't hurt mine. I own like 5 console games and most of the games I play are on my PC (I have 593 games on Steam, not saying I have played every single one of them, but I own and have played pretty much every major PC release since 2005). I can read system requirement just fine (love the ad hominem) . I just appreciate how I could play the game when Blizzard was under a DDoS attack or is having system maintenance without a single issue. The online requirement is the worst thing about that game. I only need electricity and I can play with friends. And I get an identical play experience to the PC version (oh no, I have to wait for the ladder matches, I'll survive).

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Jadak said:
Aeshi said:
Baresark said:
Not going to bother debating your preferences on the matter, but what is inferior about the loot system? I've been playing both versions and haven't noticed a difference.
The new super patch with Seasons may never reach consoles. But unless you are planning to sink 100 hours or more in the game you will never notice the difference.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Baresark said:
Aeshi said:
Baresark said:
You would be surprised by how often they update on the console. Way more often than any other game I have ever seen on the console. I have not ever cared about "hackers". I don't lose my shit just because someone has decided to ruin their own play experience, they can't hurt mine. I own like 5 console games and most of the games I play are on my PC (I have 593 games on Steam, not saying I have played every single one of them, but I own and have played pretty much every major PC release since 2005). I can read system requirement just fine (love the ad hominem) . I just appreciate how I could play the game when Blizzard was under a DDoS attack or is having system maintenance without a single issue. The online requirement is the worst thing about that game. I only need electricity and I can play with friends. And I get an identical play experience to the PC version (oh no, I have to wait for the ladder matches, I'll survive).
Actually, the controller interface is quite good and less taxing on your fingers. The inventory interface is worse, but the quick inventory stuff is enough most of the time since the loot in the game is very simple.

The console is the superior version by far:
- No lag, no worries with maintenance or login issues;
- Couch multiplayer;
- Controller is less precise but way more comfortable;

And I am a PC gamer.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Baresark said:
This is why the console version of the game is the superior version of the game. Local coop and no online requirement. Imagine.... Blizzard gets attacked by someone with a huge DDoS attack... and I can still play the game with my friends right next to me on my PS4.
There are drawbacks, my fellow peasant. We appear to be receiving new content like this on a delay if at all. Still, good enough for me, though tell me, you seem like someone who would know, have blizzard confirmed whether they're gonna patch ultimate evil edition at all? I want me some of dat sweet templar action.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Aeshi said:
Baresark said:
Hackers? I've never seen any, but I always play solo or couch co op. How did the console version end up having more hackers than than the PC version? What do they do?

And also, I hate to give you points, but I'm guessing you can buy RoS seperately instead of having to buy the game again to get it, right?

Feb 4, 2014
I've read on the forums that PS4 and XboxONE will get the 2.1 update, but last gen consoles like PS3 and XBOX360 won't be getting the update because "it's too different/hard for blizzard" (yet they still release D3 ROP ultimate evil edition on PS3 and XBOX360 right before the 2.1 update :/)

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
>Massive, free update to game with no sub fee
>Ton of new content, including the oft-requested ladders and leaderboards
>More challenging endgame content for organized groups
>Shitload of bugfixes and buffs to nearly every class
>Huge fix to AI/pathfinding for minions
this thread:
>"but but... muh offlines!!!!"
>MFW:

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
lol @ the reliable always online complainers. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/08/08

OT: Nice. not quite as awesome as Loot 2.0 but still a great patch. Those buffs are really good. Barb might actually be playable now, rocket DH builds are much better, and sacrifice is no longer literally the worst skill in the game, among other things. The buffs to arcane mines and death blossom are cute, but the problem with those spells is the way the work not the numbers, so they need to be replaced, not buffed.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
AuronFtw said:
>Massive, free update to game with no sub fee
>Ton of new content, including the oft-requested ladders and leaderboards
>More challenging endgame content for organized groups
>Shitload of bugfixes and buffs to nearly every class
>Huge fix to AI/pathfinding for minions
this thread:
>"but but... muh offlines!!!!"
major_chaos said:
lol @ the reliable always online complainers. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/08/08
Not applicable. I doesn't matter what the content is, since I'll not buying it; Because online!
And no, I'm really not going to buy it. I haven't bought a single always online (hell not even online verification) game.
I'm not constantly online either, don't even have a smartphone.

The heart of the matter is that I want to enjoy my games when I choose to, even if it's 10 or 20 years down the line.
Ironically, always online server will not always be online ,)

If you can find enjoyment in these games, kudos. I can't.
Oh, I won't be buying the next madden either, will you contribute money to that..series?