Why The Dark Knight Rises Makes Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Why The Dark Knight Rises Makes Guys Cry

Christopher Nolan's Batman is practically a master course in manly movies -- so just why does this bat-flick make guys cry?

Read Full Article

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I just saw Alfred as bumbling old fart, you know like the butler in tomb raider ... I want to say 2? And everybody locked his old ass in the freezer 'cos they were sick of him rattling that fucking tea tray.

Kind of wanted him to just drop dead so Batman can go on being his whiny ***** self, get fucked up in one of the worst choreographed fight sequences EVER! (seriously, watch the last 30 minutes of Raid 2 and then watch any fight in this film) And then blow himself up ... pity he faked his own death thought, him getting his back broken will have to suffice.

Personally, I would be surprised if any guy has a ever cried at this film. Well, unless he is weeping about how bad they are.... I'm not saying this to hate the IN thing, I just think they are EXTREMELY over rated films! And an ever more over rated "super" hero.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
The cutscenes in the Arkham games are a hundred times more emotional than any of those Nolan "Batman" movies. Also they actually feature Batman characters instead of just having people with a couple of vague similarities to them.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
BTW am I the only one who likes the first movie best and thinks the other 2 are kinda lame? Sure Joker saves the second one, but apart from that it's almost such a mess as the third one.

If Rises makes me cry about something, it's plot holes.
I'm with you. Begins is the best of the three. But the best of dross and drivel is still dross and drivel.

And, as you said, if Rises would make me cry, it would be because it was a horribly shitty film on every level.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
There is no one big reason I don't like The Dark Knight Rises, but there are a million little reasons I hate it. It is death by a thousand cuts. And in my mind, once you see the seams on s movie like that, it is almost impossible to un-see them.

From stupid plot holes like Bruce getting back into Gotham without any kind of assistance, flow problems like basically having to be told outright that weeks have past, narrative structure problems like building up Bane to absolutely nothing, and a bunch I have neither the time nor the inclination to fully list off. But I will address the Micheal Caine confession scene.

In my opinion, outside of Heath Ledger, Micheal Caine is the best thing about the Nolan movies, even if he is prone to monologuing a bit too much. And that scene where he tearfully confesses to Bruce that he will not bury him and confesses that he burned Rachael's letter is an incredibly good scene... and they just had to screw it up. The reason the scene didn't work for me when I first watched it was the fact that it actually showed Alfred sitting in cafe in Italy. How does this ruin the scene? Because there is literally no reason to include this other than to establish it for the ending. And right there, the ending is ruined 1/3 of the way through the movie, because we just saw what to look for. After that, any suspense of Bruce actually failing or even dying are killed on the spot. We know that no matter what Bruce will give up being Batman and show up in the cafe. Otherwise showing the cafe in the first place would have been completely pointless.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Wow. A poignant and deep enough reason to cry. Too bad I never got to that because it bored me to tears instead.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Happiness Assassin said:
There is no one big reason I don't like The Dark Knight Rises, but there are a million little reasons I hate it. It is death by a thousand cuts. And in my mind, once you see the seams on s movie like that, it is almost impossible to un-see them.
There are definitely a fair share of dumb moments in the movie, but for every criticism I can think of I can also think of several things I liked.

From stupid plot holes like Bruce getting back into Gotham without any kind of assistance,
That's not a plot hole, it's just something the movie doesn't show, likely because TDKR is nearly 3 hours long already without having a section where Bruce goes on a humorous Trains, Planes, and Automobiles type adventure across Europe to try and reach Gotham before it's too late.

flow problems like basically having to be told outright that weeks have past,
Agreed, they should have stuck a seasonal change montage in there for good measure.

narrative structure problems like building up Bane to absolutely nothing,
I agree that revealing Bane to be just a henchman, and a sentimental one at that, does tarnish his image. But he also defies the orders of Talia and tries to kill Batman. Also, I love his last line. Ultimately he's still a more memorable villain than anything Marvel has put on screen.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Olas said:
There are definitely a fair share of dumb moments in the movie, but for every criticism I can think of I can also think of several things I liked.
I do agree with there being things to like, I think the biggest hurdle for me to enjoy the movie is Bane's voice over. If Nolan didn't make what feels to be a rookie mistake and had a character's voice become so muffled they dubbed over it which caused it to sound out of place I probably would have been able to look past all the issues I have. It really felt like to me each time Bane spoke it would break me out of the zone I got into and could start seeing the flaws and by the end I felt like it was almost like whip-lash.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
It's an alright movie but was a major let down for me. I'd be willing to like it more if the action was actually good but unfortunately the action in the movie was terrible. I mean just look at this:

It's sad.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Olas said:
That's not a plot hole, it's just something the movie doesn't show, likely because TDKR is nearly 3 hours long already without having a section where Bruce goes on a humorous Trains, Planes, and Automobiles type adventure across Europe to try and reach Gotham before it's too late.
I think you misunderstand. I wasn't talking about him getting to Gotham, more about him getting INTO Gotham. The thing about not showing him having wacky hi-jinks across Europe ties more into the issue of them having to bold-facedly tell you how much time is left. But what I am talking about was how was he able to sneak into Gotham without any equipment whatsoever[footnote]Unless he did use equipment and merely took it off for Catwoman's sake, in which case that is even more stupid[/footnote] when Bane knew about the special ops guys from the word "go." Did they not say that there was no way onto the island without Bane knowing it? Bruce just BAMFs onto the island after a few weeks like getting in was nothing special and anyone could have just left. it is an inconsistency that is never even remotely touched on.

I better stop here as my feel a rant coming on about this movie and I feel talking about it any more will set me off.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
LobsterFeng said:
It's an alright movie but was a major let down for me. I'd be willing to like it more if the action was actually good but unfortunately the action in the movie was terrible. I mean just look at this:

It's sad.
Oh wow. I had a lot of reasons I really didn't like that movie, but damn, I never saw something that awful until now. Well, at least we got Inception because of this travesty.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The only part in Rises that made me choke up, was when the cops all charged the bad guys. That image of the entire Gotham police force, rising up in mass, to retake their city was pretty awesome IMO. Sadly, that was the only part that got an emotional response from me, other than frustration at plot holes.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Olas said:
From stupid plot holes like Bruce getting back into Gotham without any kind of assistance,
I'm glad someone seems to get this. Just because something isn't explicitly explained doesn't make it a plot hole. Especially when you've spent the previous two movies showing Batman to be extremely skilled and resourceful, and the reason he was able to get back to Gotham is readily explained by pointing out that he's Batman.

narrative structure problems like building up Bane to absolutely nothing,
I agree that revealing Bane to be just a henchman, and a sentimental one at that, does tarnish his image. But he also defies the orders of Talia and tries to kill Batman. Also, I love his last line. Ultimately he's still a more memorable villain than anything Marvel has put on screen.
Not sure why everyone always gets the idea that Bane is a henchman. It always seemed pretty clear to me that he and Talia were more partners than anything since they had this long standing relationship. There's nothing in the movie that says Bane was working for Talia rather than with her.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
At first I thought this was a series that expounded upon the idea that men could be emotional about movies, but I'm not sure how sincere it is anymore. The more I try to remember Rises, the worse I perceive it to be.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Flammablezeus said:
The cutscenes in the Arkham games are a hundred times more emotional than any of those Nolan "Batman" movies. Also they actually feature Batman characters instead of just having people with a couple of vague similarities to them.
Thats my problem with most of hollywoods "for the geeks" films these days. They don't seem to be about Godzilla, Bamham or the ninja turtles, they seem too focused on telling stories about bland costume-less humans.

Apart from Anne Hathaways lack of chin, I kind of like The rich white rises. But I felt between Bruce Wayne being sick of being Bamham and being in a prison hole. Bamham was hardly in the film at all. Tom Hardy's Bane is pretty entertaining though.

I am very glad that Bruce Waynes rancid childhood friend love interest was mentioned very little. As it was dumb and made me feel sick to witness. The only acceptable Bamham love interests are
Batman + Catwoman
Batman + Wonderwoman
Batman + Talia Al Ghul
Batman + Any Cool Superwoman, not some mundane ***** who went to school with Bruce Wayne.