Rumor: Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Star in Doctor Strange

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Rumor: Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Star in Doctor Strange

The actor, previously rumored to be sought by Marvel, is allegedly in final talks to portray the Sorcerer Supreme in Phase Three of Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

After <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136402-The-Wrap-Says-Joaquin-Phoenix-Wanted-as-Marvels-Doctor-Strange>previous rumors of being courted by Marvel Stuidos, <a href=http://collider.com/joaquin-phoenix-doctor-strange-movie/#more-356684>Collider is reporting that Her star Joaquin Phoenix is nearly cleared to strap on the Eye of Agamatto and take on the role of Doctor Strange. According to Collider's sources, Phoenix's contract "is essentially at the 1 yard line, about to pass into the end zone."

Rumors from the start of this year had pegged <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131328-Marvel-Considers-Johnny-Depp-for-Doctor-Strange-Role>Johnny Depp as being considered for the role. More recently, according to Collider, Jack Huston, of Boardwalk Empire had been rumored to be in the running to portray the surgeon turned mystic protector.

No more details were available from Collider's sources, but the speculation is that Phoenix's contract took longer to negotiate to guarantee the actor could still effectively collaborate with filmmakers outside of Marvel Studios. Collider said to expect official confirmation from Marvel "soon."

Scott Derrickson <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135021-Scott-Derrickson-Will-Direct-Marvels-Doctor-Strange>has already been confirmed as director, as has the fact that the movie will buck the superhero genre trend <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136892-Marvel-Doctor-Strange-Not-An-Origin-Story>and not be an origin story.

Doctor Strange is scheduled to release on July 8, 2016. Phase Two of Marvel's Cinematic Universe will close out with Avengers: Age of Ultron, which releases on May 1, 2015. Phase Three will kick off shortly thereafter, with Ant-Man in July of 2015 and Captain America 3 in May 2016, paving the way for Doctor Strange.

Source: <a href=http://collider.com/joaquin-phoenix-doctor-strange-movie/#more-356684>Collider

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Physically, he's a pretty decent fit. Having not seen any of his movies though, I can't say whether or not I look forward to him playing one of my favorite Marvel characters.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Well he looks like Strange I suppose, I havn't seen his movies so I can't really comment. I'm happy about them changing things up though, Strange was actually mentioned twice in Winter Soldier so an origin story wouldn't make sense in universe.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I hope he gets it. I think Phoenix would could really nail the character, though he'll have to keep a deep voice.

I used to like Johnny Depp for this and he could do it if he wanted but honestly I think these days Depp would play it too silly, constantly mugging. Strange is often criticized by non-fans as being hard to relate to, distant even, and there's some truth to that. (Depending on who's writing him.) He's a highly educated, former rich snob and one time alcoholic with the weight of an entire dimension on his shoulders. Phoenix feels like he could bring the well, strangeness needed for the role.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I think there's a typo in this article's headline. That's not how you spell "Benedict Cumberbatch."

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I think there's a typo in this article's headline. That's not how you spell "Benedict Cumberbatch."
He would have been pretty cool, but it would also mean that Sherlock would be delayed again...and I'm not mentally prepared for that after the season 3 finale (I NEED MORE INFORMATION, MOFFAT, AND NOT THE SORT OF INFO PROVIDED IN RELATION TO HIS 'DEATH'). Plus, Tumblr would be happy, and that is not what this world needs.

Phoenix is a good fit methinks, though I will be wondering when Russell Crowe and Tugger will come and fight him throughout the whole film.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I have a feeling they are composing a "War and Peace" length contract to keep him in line and keep him from being flighty. That's probably why it's taking so long..

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm fine with this. Joaquin is a great actor and does look somewhat like Strange. I hope he proves me right if he gets the role, Dr. Strange deserves it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Joaquin is a good actor, liked him in Gladiator and 8mm. I think he is a great choice and will add a lot to the character.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
PunkRex said:
Well he looks like Strange I suppose, I havn't seen his movies so I can't really comment. I'm happy about them changing things up though, Strange was actually mentioned twice in Winter Soldier so an origin story wouldn't make sense in universe.
Besides, if I was doing that character I'd want to keep the origin open for flashback potential as there are several ways you can introduce villains that way for him in particular, that might be hard if you play the whole origin out to begin with.

For example if Marvel ever manages to get "The Fantastic Four" rights back along with "Doctor Doom" one of the cooler storylines they could do would be the one where Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange team up to raid hell and try and free the soul of Doom's mother. They did that storyline via a bit of a retcon where they showed the two Doctors having met in the past, both competing for the title of Sorcerer Supreme back in the day, which is why Doctor Strange was on Doom's short list and actually treated with an incredible amount of respect as far as Doom goes.

They do the whole origin now, they have no real chance of pulling that one off later if they ever get the rights back. Not to mention that a few other magic characters like Agatha Harkness are FF associates that could be tied to Strange (Agatha Harkness is not a villain, pretty much the Marvel version of Mary Poppins who watches over Franklin). Focusing on a developed Doctor Strange with just some basic origin stuff, and leaving his background open to pull stuff from later gives them a lot more long term possibilities, as we have no idea what the future holds. Especially if the current FF movie is as much of a bomb as I suspect it will be.

I do wonder who his first villain is going to be though.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
I think Oded Fehr really has the Doctor Strange look. The only movie of Phoenix I've seen was Gladiator and I honestly don't remember much of it