Kill Even More Zombies in Dead Island 2

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kill Even More Zombies in Dead Island 2

Even though it is no longer set on an island, Dead Island 2 does continue the tradition of strong cooperative zombie-slaying.

The first Dead Island had a strong unveiling with a memorable trailer, but the game itself was a bit of a lackluster game with a fun cooperative element. The direct sequel (German publisher Deep Silver is releasing a large number of tie-ins) attempts to bring back what worked and improve what didn't. You'll have new classes/characters to choose from, as well as new enemies to contend against. I got some hands-on time with Dead Island 2 at PAX Prime 2014 and I can report that it's still generally fun to hack and shoot at zombies.

The new game is set in a California town, making the title a bit of a misnomer actually. I picked a speedy lady who was quite handy with a blade. She made quick work of the normal walkers that roamed the town drenched in sunset lighting for the demo. Runners were a bit harder because of their quickness, while thugs were huge, strong monstrosities that needed coordination with the other people in the demo to take down. One of the objectives in the demonstration area was to collect "electronics" so I cleared out a looted Radio Shack-type store. Once I had enough electronics, I immediately upgraded my bladed weapon with shock attachment to increase damage. If you built up enough rage through landing attacks, you could also perform an instant kill on lesser enemies. In the case of my slasher lady, she could rush up and stab the walker under the jaw through the brainpan. Nasty Stuff.

There was not a whole lot of story or background delivered in the demo, but there were a few hints that Yager Development was keeping the irreverent graveyard humor used in the first game. The game engine was still in early alpha, so I noticed a lot of graphical bugs and glitches, but when it was displaying correctly it looked damn good.

Dead Island 2 is aiming for a release in Spring 2015 on PC, Xbox One and PS4. I'm sure we'll hear more as we get closer to that timeframe.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Here's some gameplay:

It sure does look a lot more colourful and interesting than its rather lacklustre predecessor. Good on.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Generally I'd just let this game pass me by, but the fact it's being developed by Yager, that made the interesting Spec Ops the Line, I'm keen to at least see how it comes along. Will it be a paint by numbers sequel just to keep Yager open, or will it be surprisngly subversive. Most likely the former as opposed to the later but one can dare to dream.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I came here prepared to ask "did they fix how incredibly broken the first game was?" But judging by this statement:

The game engine was still in early alpha, so I noticed a lot of graphical bugs and glitches, but when it was displaying correctly it looked damn good.
I'm guessing that's a no. Seriously, nothing like a horde of zombies that runs straight through you to start munching on you from behind. I don't ask for much, but proper collision detection would be nice.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'm hoping that they make it so that there is either a finite number of zombies or they let the player take back the town sections at a time. I feel like if I kill 10,000 zombies in a play-through I want to feel like I actually killed 10,000 zombies.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I liked Dead Island but to be honest Dying Light seems like a way more interesting option than Dead Island 2.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Johnny Novgorod said:
I liked Dead Island but to be honest Dying Light seems like a way more interesting option than Dead Island 2.
I would agree with this statement, but Dying Light is going for more of a gritty, survival feel while Dead Island is sticking with the slightly comedic bent.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I just hope that they focus a little more on the single player aspect this time. The first game definitely seemed to be designed around the assumption that you were going to be using co op, especially the cutscenes. I also hope there's a lot more enemy variety, killing enemies quickly turned into a bit of slog rather than fun after awhile, due to the same 2 or 3 enemies appearing all the time.