This SimCity Has Over 100 Million Residents

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
This SimCity Has Over 100 Million Residents

A SimCity veteran player has constructed a sprawling metropolis that puts MegaCity One to shame.

Peter Richie, who has played SimCity 4 for ten years, spent eight months designing and building a settlement that 107.7 million digital residents call home. The feat was accomplished without any mods or cheats, with initial planning having begun last December before construction started in March of this year.

"Traffic is a nightmare, both above ground and under," Richie said. "The massive amount of subway lines and subway stations are still congested during all times of the day in all neighborhoods of each and every mega-city in the region. The roadways are clogged at all times, but people still persist in trying to use them."

The entire city is made up of 81 large city tiles- making one Mega-Region. There are 26,542 km (16,492 miles) of paved road and 8,626 km (5,360 miles) of subway lines. Energy comes from an astonishing 324 hydrogen power plants that produce 6,000,000 megawatts of energy, with an additional 486 waste-to-energy plants. For education, there are 81 universities, 162 colleges, and over 2,000 elementary and high schools.

"Pollution is managed," said Richie. "Heavy polluting structures are clumped between groups of four mega-cities, as are airports, and energy infrastructure. This reduces the impact of the worst pollution to the residents."

Settlements similar to this one might be much closer to reality than some realize. A report from the United Nations published in July Delhi [http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/news/population/world-urbanization-prospects-2014.html?utm_term=United+Nations,+DESA,+Social,+Economic&utm_content=DESA+assists+countries+in+agenda-setting+and+decision-making+with+the+goal+of+meeting+their+economic,+social+and+environmental+challenges.&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter] (with a current population of 25 million) is expected to see 11 million more take up residence inside its limited in the next 16 years, raising concern regarding its already taxed infrastructure.

Richie, however, has an optimistic outlook regarding the future of urban cities. "I think we are on the verge of building very large, but very sustainable cities, likely where the pollution of today will be nearly non-existent."

Excited about the future? Read up on Google's robots riding hoverbikes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137163-Google-Unveils-Drone-Delivery-Service-Program-Dubbed-Project-Wing] here on The Escapist!

Source: Motherboard [http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-107-million-person-simcity-region-is-a-portrait-of-our-megacity-future]

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I'm kinda surprised to see a post about a digital city with over one hundred million residents and not a single Matrix reference.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Raesvelg said:
I'm kinda surprised to see a post about a digital city with over one hundred million residents and not a single Matrix reference.
in this version of the matrix, most of the movie is spent watching the characters wait in traffic

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
weirdee said:
Raesvelg said:
in this version of the matrix, most of the movie is spent watching the characters wait in traffic
Well...

Trinity: You always told me to stay off the freeway.
Morpheus: Yes, that's true.
Trinity: You said it was suicide.
Morpheus: Then let us hope that I was wrong.
I guess they made some small improvements in future iterations of the Matrix.

...Very small.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Thats quite amazing design and dedication. well done putting half of Europe into one Mega-Region.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Strazdas said:
Thats quite amazing design and dedication. well done putting half of Europe into one Mega-Region.
A fifth/sixth more like but still impressive.

Unless you mean half of Europes population in Urban Centers.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Akira soundtrack is a great choice for the subject. What a scary place to live though. I live in the south United States and there are trees everywhere... I Love my trees.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Blackwell Stith said:
A SimCity veteran player has constructed a sprawling metropolis that puts MegaCity One to shame.
Gonna be that guy and tell you Megacity one has a population 400 million. so this is just a quarter of a Megacity. sorry :D

it was an interesting video though.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jesus, I never got my Simcity 4 cities above a couple thousand inhabitants before I went bankrupt. That game was a lot harder than its predecessors.
Sleekit said:
pinnacle of a legend as far as i'm concerned (although old school sim city 2000 has it's own charms)
Still preferring 3000. Mostly because it got me into jazz. Lawd that soundtrack is brilliant.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
But does it survive financially? Obviously playing with a realistic finance option wasn't used but once complete does it at least become self funding, or are we talking bankruptcy before the year closes?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sleekit said:
Cowabungaa said:
Jesus, I never got my Simcity 4 cities above a couple thousand inhabitants before I went bankrupt. That game was a lot harder than its predecessors.
Sleekit said:
pinnacle of a legend as far as i'm concerned (although old school sim city 2000 has it's own charms)
Still preferring 3000. Mostly because it got me into jazz. Lawd that soundtrack is brilliant.
ah but 3000 has no windmills...if i remember rightly...not sure
There's wind turbines, if you're referring to that. But that's not what mattered to me, what mattered was this:

Damn son. Damn. No Simcity has yet to top that. Hell, no game in general.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
I'm reminded of Magnasanti/the Santi series from Sim City 3000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

Those only reached 6 million permanent residents, but as I recall pushed right up against the borders of what the simulation could produce from many angles.

Would be interesting to see a finer breakdown of why that works the way it does/what behaviors of the Sim it caters to/exploits to reach that population density in SimCity 4, and what might be done to tune it further, either to increase population density further or reduce pathologies in the city like pollution while retaining it's current census.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
There's wind turbines, if you're referring to that. But that's not what mattered to me, what mattered was this:

Damn son. Damn. No Simcity has yet to top that. Hell, no game in general.
Ahhhhh, good memories. That sound track was excellent. SimCity 3000 Unlimited was the only game in the series I truly got into.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Strazdas said:
~1/8 the population of Europe
Still this is like fitting all of Japan into one city

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
direkiller said:
Strazdas said:
~1/8 the population of Europe
Still this is like fitting all of Japan into one city
Or two Spains. Or fifty Croatias. Or one third of all of America. Or just under the entire population of Russia.

Dang, that's a big city.