The Theory That Will Tie All Video Game Stories Together

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The Theory That Will Tie All Video Game Stories Together

It's called the Grand Unifying Theory of Video Games, and it ties all games together with a common thread. Yahtzee takes that thread and tries to tie it in a nice little bow.

Read Full Article

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Hm, very interesting. I suppose that with a sufficient amount of time you could make all games believably-ish connected.

Would all games (within the already determined parameters) count? What about games not released outside their respective countries? Demos? Educational games? Etc.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
This should turn into a forum game. It would spawn some of the most awesome, throwing shit at a wall theories ever.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
Holy shitballs.
You're a genius. Seriously, those thoughts need turning into a thing!

WouldYouKindly said:
This should turn into a forum game. It would spawn some of the most awesome, throwing shit at a wall theories ever.
*drools at the idea*

Jan 12, 2012
Roofstone said:
Would all games (within the already determined parameters) count? What about games not released outside their respective countries? Demos? Educational games? Etc.
I think regional games still apply; in essence, these games are telling the story of what it's like on Game Earth, and no one game can cover the whole span, or will exist everywhere; it's enough that they are published.

As for educational games, absolutely; what is Putt Putt if not a mutated supernatural being aping the new world? Maybe beings like Pajama Sam are the descendants of fey creatures like the fairies of Kokiri Village, genetically inclined to be near humans and humanoid children and help them with tasks?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So the Umbrella Corporation were the ones responsible for causing the Mexico scandal which lead to Carlito Keyes attacking Willamette with the bees in DR1. It all makes sense now!

But yes, I also think this would make a nice forum game.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
That was a very entertaining reinterpretation of video game lore. I loved the way Yahtzee incorporated the mushroom kingdom.

To think it all comes from health kits.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Yahtzee, you know what else is Red? Jam. Jam is Red *mind blown*

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Well, given that many games explore the possibility of parallel universes, that also means that fantasy games don't necessarily have to all take place in the distant past. That simplifies things quite a bit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Why do I have this urge to say "That's just a theory...A GAME THEORY!"

Interesting take on unification, though I think people have been trying to do this for decades now.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I have my own insane grand unifying theory, the idea is that adventure time, fallout, shin megami tensei 1 and 2, touhou, gravity falls, and mario, all take place on the same world.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
And could Kain be the same entity as Cain, the First Vampire referenced in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Why the fuck not?
Well, Cain originates from the Bible, via the VtM P&P RPG, so not original to video games or even games at all....

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Legacy of Kain/VtM crossover? Yes, please. But come on. Kain killed by Julius Belmont? Get real. He ain't called The Devourer of Worlds without reason.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
It's nice seeing you go into detail on this theory after hearing about it in Let's Drown Out over the last few weeks or months. I wish I understood more than about 40% of what you were making reference to. I think you missed a step, though, in excluding non-game-originated characters and settings completely; Dracula is an integral part of Castlevania, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other examples (someone already pointed one out, even).

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Clearly, Master Belch and the Great Mighty Poo are twin excretions from opposite ends of the same unfathomable, eternal being. The creature is known to devour without tiring, without cease. Only once did the things the creature ate ever pass through its horrifying internal systems. And only once did the creature ever succumb to nausea. And such is the power of the beast that cannot die, that these excretions took on a mockery of life.

I speak of course, of the being known only as Kirby.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:

Interesting take on unification, though I think people have been trying to do this for decades now.
Because Game Theory did do something similar to this awhile back?
http://youtu.be/blaX_eMz3Qw

I'm still all for Yahtzee's take on it but having already seen GT's video of it I'm going to be stuck doing automatic comparisons.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
1999 is when Lavos attacks, not when Kain fights Belmont. Get your history straight, Yahtzee!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dying_Jester said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Because Game Theory did do something similar to this awhile back?
http://youtu.be/blaX_eMz3Qw

I'm still all for Yahtzee's take on it but having already seen GT's video of it I'm going to be stuck doing automatic comparisons.
To borrow a line from The Simposons, "That's the joke."

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
soooo...new book? :D

no need to fall into fan fiction or copy right infringement just with recognizable themes and tropes of the games lol