What's the Deal With Modern Warfare 2's Multiplayer Beta?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
What's the Deal With Modern Warfare 2's Multiplayer Beta?

Will there or will there not be a open multiplayer beta for Modern Warfare 2? Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling has set the record straight.

Those unbearably eager to get their hands on Modern Warfare 2 before the game's November release may possibly be waiting anxiously for news of an open beta for the game's multiplayer portion. Well, don't hold your breath. According to Infinity Ward's community manager Robert Bowling [http://www.fourzerotwo.com/2009/08/19/final-word-on-mw2-beta-rumors/], there's no open beta in the cards, at least for now.

So far, Infinity Ward, or "I-Dub" as the cool kids are calling it, is only planning an Internal Beta between themselves, Activision and first party partners. "We would never say something as definitive as 'No Beta Ever!'" as that's simply not how we work," Bowling said. "We'll do an internal beta, if we feel a public one is needed, we'll explore that route as well."

If you're worried that Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer won't turn out well without the input of its fans, i.e., yourself, Bowling says worry not. Multiplayer has been in development since day one, and the QA team currently holds nightly tests. Things are ship shape so far, but if I-Dub isn't satisfied with what they've got, well, that's when they'll ask for your help.

"Once the internal beta is completed, if for any reason we feel we didn't receive the feedback, address the issues, or have the result we expect," Bowling said. "We would consider pushing forward with a public one, however at this point only an internal Closed Beta is planned."

So, in some sense, if you really want to play the game as soon as possible, you might actually not want a beta to happen. Because that'll mean Infinity Ward will have to work from scratch to get a beta together, just so you can play a game earlier...so that you can possibly play it later. Anyway, just be patient, jeeze. This is the one game you can count on not moving into 2010. Did I just jinx it? I think I did.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Keane Ng said:
So far, Infinity Ward, or "I-Dub" as the cool kids are calling it
*loads Winchester rifle* So what are the addresses of these "cool kids" again?

I don't particularly mind, to be honest. I don't remember there being a beta for MW, was there one?

Either way, I'm getting this pre-owned, those bastards won't be seeing a sale from m-

Seriously, "I-Dub"? What?

P.S.

Keane Ng said:
This is the one game you can count on not moving into 2010. Did I just jinx it? I think I did.
If that happens, everything in Q1 2010 will be pushed to Q2. And I'm not having that.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I-dub? who the hell calls them I-dub?

a public betas not needed anyway, infinity ward will always make an unbalanced multiplayer no matter what :p

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Keane Ng said:

I don't particularly mind, to be honest. I don't remember there being a beta for MW, was there one?

Either way, I'm getting this pre-owned, those bastards won't be seeing a sale from m-

Yeah what is with I-Dub, its like Radio Shack changing their name to The Shack, why does everyone think shorter names are cooler.

imagine this. (hypothetical)

Me- Hay I just got MW2, its made by I-Dub so it must be good.

Friend- No it's made by Infinity Ward dumbass.

Me- Thats there new name

Friend- Well thats just stupid

see, who wants a name I-Dub.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
As disappointed as I am to hear that we won't be getting a chance to play a multiplayer beta for this game, I don't think we need to worry about Infinity Ward screwing up multiplayer for their beloved Call of Duty franchise. That would be like worrying whether or not Fable 3 will have enough pretentiousness (which of course, it will.)

Besides, the only way they could really screw up is if they upgraded that bloody grenade perk.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Yeah I-Dub what the hell? How does IW go to I dub.. Or are you trying to say I dubz In reference to the pile of crap that yells "The you were DDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD" that is N-DUBZ is the case you were, being the guy caught between both the word of games and having a good standing in the social hierarchy of teenageville I'll hit them in the face if they ever say it. EVER

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Keane Ng said:

Yeah what is with I-Dub, its like Radio Shack changing their name to The Shack, why does everyone think shorter names are cooler.

Me- Thats there new name

But aren't you doing the same thing when you say MW2 instead of Modern Warfare 2?

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I love I-Dubs.

(See, if you add the S, it just means you are so lazy, your the opposite of lazy and you place another letter on a word)

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
paypuh said:
But aren't you doing the same thing when you say MW2 instead of Modern Warfare 2?
Well one is using the first letter of each word,, and the other has nothing to do with the long version. Not really the saame thing.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
paypuh said:
Supreme Unleaded said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Keane Ng said:

Me- Thats there new name

No i was just to lazy to write the whole phrase, and with my degeneration of grammar and spelling, I would probably somehow spell it wrong.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
dogstile said:
I-dub? who the hell calls them I-dub?

a public betas not needed anyway, infinity ward will always make an unbalanced multiplayer no matter what :p
Robert Bowling does, actually. Check out the Prestige Edition reveal video. He says "I-Dub."

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
I like how focused and straight up the development team are (regardless), I can see a really good end result on the cards for Infinity Ward (I-dub?!, you have to be shitting me).

-Joe

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Wait, so how is it news that they're saying that there won't be a beta? They could have just as easily not told us, and nothing would have changed...

cavsfan69

Jul 8, 2009
All of that was posted on the IW site earlier to day. That and a really good guide of a ton of info on the game that can be found at http://forums.infinityward.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61402

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Kalezian said:
this saddens me, simply because its true, most "beta testers" in open betas just want to play the game before anyone else [e.g. Halo 3 beta from Crackdown]. I just wish they would actually let some people with real experience to help them, not me though, every game Ive beta'd for turned out they didnt listen to their players *cough*Warrock*cough*, so Ive given up on open beta's in general.
I have even found that in closed betas also, in BF Hero's everyone told them "Hey that commandos stealth is too good" did they listen? No.
In Quake Live they listened properly however, they were constantly tweaking the maps - not for bugs but for weapon/item placement and how they could make the level better

but yea on to MW and really, the multilayer is going to be the same as MW 1 so they don't need to test it do they? If you say yes then you must fear the new things that are being added are going to mess it up,

but then i thought the heart beat scanner XD

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Hah! Beaten to the punch, news team. I posted this news up long before you! Yes! I've spent a goddamn year trying to be the first news article, beaten every time by you or the community, and I finally broke a story!