Stinking Frith! Bully Pulpit's Digging a Warren

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Stinking Frith! Bully Pulpit's Digging a Warren

Sure, you can play the kid-friendly version, or you could try for the most hardcore post-apocalypse game ever.

Diana Jones and ENnie award winning Fiasco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-expo/8315-How-To-Run-a-Small-Gaming-Business], a game of overweening ambition and poor impulse control. Now Bully Pulpit's reaching out to another designer for the first time, and publishing Marshall Miller's rabbit-centric title The Warren. If ever you've wanted to avoid being shot, gassed, eaten by cats, or just to enjoy a quiet silflay on a warm afternoon, this could be the title for you.

"Steve [Segedy] and I both love this game, and have run it at home and at conventions for more than a year. It started out solid and has only gotten better," says Bully Pulpit's Jason Morningstar. "One thing I love is the wide range of tones The Warren can support - from gentle animal stories suitable for children to some of the most hardcore 'Powered by the Apocalypse' action I have ever experienced. It's surprisingly broad and deep."

The Warren lets you take the role of intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with things that want to kill and eat them, or just kill them. Before this, it was also known as Lapins and Lairs. Illustrator Rachel Kahn has been brought on board to give the project a unique look, and if you were a Hillfolk [http://pelgranepress.com/site/?tag=hillfolk] backer then you know just how wonderful that look is likely to be.

If all goes according to plan, The Warren should be in stores by spring 2015. That gives you plenty of time to brush up on your Lapine [https://sites.google.com/site/watershipdowngame/home/lapine-glossary---the-language-of-watership-down].

Source: Bully Pulpit [http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/news/2014/09/03/press-release-bully-pulpit-games-to-publish-the-warren/]
Designer site: Marshall Miller [http://www.finemessgames.com/nanoworld-a-game-of-clones]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
So... Mouse Guard with rabbits as the playable characters instead of mice?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Wasn't this book called Watership Down? Or am I thinking of a different work?
Either way, this is right up my ally and I really want to play it.
Reminds me of Shelter and Tokyo Jungle.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Fasckira said:
You know how Mouse Guard is super grim but there's always hope, and joy and love, left in the world?

I saw some people playing Warren at gen con and there was no hope, joy, or love in their faces.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I like how the Lapine glossary you linked to is from another project that was trying to make an RPG based on Watership Down. Strange minds think alike, I guess.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Is it me, or is it not immediately clear from the article what kind of game this is...?

I see the tabletop tag, but whoa, was I confused for a bit.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This game is going to confuse parents everywhere and give 5 yr olds nightmares for years! On the front it'll look like a cuddly rabbit adventure, like something straight out of a Disney cartoon. But then the poor kids will play the game and be asking "Mommy, why is my bunny covered in blood and twitching?" In other words,

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
JonB said:
Fasckira said:
You know how Mouse Guard is super grim but there's always hope, and joy and love, left in the world?

I saw some people playing Warren at gen con and there was no hope, joy, or love in their faces.
I've played in some games and had a similar disposition under some GMs.... :p

But yes, point taken. I'll likely check it out!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Okay, so I'm confused here. You say that this game is based on a book called "The Warren" that was written by a "Marshal Miller". I can only find one book called "The Warren", but it's written by someone named Fred L. Tate. Then to add to the confusion, you post a video to Watership Down, a cartoon based on a book that's neither named "The Warren" nor written by a "Marshal Miller". Meanwhile, a Google search on "Marshal Miller" turns-up nothing relevant.

I am just.... so very confused.

FredTate44

Mar 24, 2016
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Okay, so I'm confused here. You say that this game is based on a book called "The Warren" that was written by a "Marshal Miller". I can only find one book called "The Warren", but it's written by someone named Fred L. Tate. Then to add to the confusion, you post a video to Watership Down, a cartoon based on a book that's neither named "The Warren" nor written by a "Marshal Miller". Meanwhile, a Google search on "Marshal Miller" turns-up nothing relevant.

I am just.... so very confused.
Hello, I am the Fred L. Tate you mentioned above, and my novel is: "The Warren" Copyrighted in 2000 by the Library of Congress. Re-copyrighted in July 2011 by my Publisher, "Tate Publishing and Enterprises L.L.C. 123 Trade Center Terrace Mustang, Oklahoma. 73064" Phone: 1 888 361-9473 www.tatepublishing.com The novel also happens to be about rabbits in peril.

FredTate44

Mar 24, 2016
Hello, I am Fred L. Tate, and my novel is: "The Warren"
Copyrighted in 2000 by the Library of Congress. Re-copyrighted in July 2011 by my Publisher,
Tate Publishing and Enterprises L.L.C.
123 Trade Center Terrace Mustang, Oklahoma. 73064
Phone: 1 888 361-9473
www.tatepublishing.com
The novel also happens to be about rabbits in peril, and is copyrighted as mentioned above.
For further information you may contact my publisher.

Very Respectfully, Fred L. Tate
Author: The Warren